63 replies to this topic

#41 Kernel

Kernel

Her Majesty's Imperial Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

Actually the ancient Greeks were the first to develop mechanical computers LONG before WW2. This one was used as an astronomical calculator.
Ancient Greeks were also the first to develop robots.

As for nukes in WW2, did you know that, it's believed German scientists deliberately sabotaged their own work, or at least withheld enough information, to stop Hitler from building an A-Bomb?
"Any rumors of a military coup by the Imperial Guard are greatly exaggerated."

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

#42 Matri

Matri

Official Love Nest Mascot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

View PostYanlin, on 11th May 2007, 4:21pm, said:

the first computer was an analogue calculator... that could only do + and - options.

You mean the Difference Engine.
"Never be normal!" - Ron Stoppable

MechQuest. Get your mecha RPG fix.
Star Citizen.

#43 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

View PostYanlin, on 11th May 2007, 8:21am, said:

the first computer was an analogue calculator... that could only do + and - options.

but. we can keep fighting forever. lets get back on topic. NUKES!
I said original computers, that one you're describing hardly fits the current definition of computers (: I suggest you read the previous posts regarding the computers that broke ENIGMA and such, because cryptography hardly is just adding and substracting.
Posted Image

#44 Yanlin

Yanlin

One Man Modding Team

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:18 PM

you are all talking about a computer WAY after the one i mentioned.

the computer i am talking about was invented before the romans! (lol. invented)

it was during the time when humanity managed to develop something that moves on an axis.

and no i am not talking about the thingy where you move those little beads back and forth.

i mean one line that has like 2000 beads and a manual dial to move them one at a time. and you still had to count how many were on each side. later versions had a devider of a diffrant color per count. for example: red bead every 5th bead. yelllow bead every 100th bead (overwrites the red bead) and blue bead every 1000th bead (overwrites both other types of beads)

as far as i know it was invented at the late stone age.

now can we get back on topic? which i think is: "funny stuff about WWII"

Yes, that banner is a link to the mod.

#45 uriaheep

uriaheep

Inflatable Halfwit Salesman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

View PostKernel, on 11th May 2007, 2:16pm, said:

As for nukes in WW2, did you know that, it's believed German scientists deliberately sabotaged their own work, or at least withheld enough information, to stop Hitler from building an A-Bomb?
I have read about this Kernel but to be honest I'm not sure - I think it's likely that to make people think they were more advanced in the project than they really were, they begun this story.  From the evidence, I'm not convinced.
LAST OF A DYING BROOD.

#46 Mikal

Mikal

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

View Posturiaheep, on 11th May 2007, 5:25pm, said:

I have read about this Kernel but to be honest I'm not sure - I think it's likely that to make people think they were more advanced in the project than they really were, they begun this story.  From the evidence, I'm not convinced.

I saw a book in the shops today, fiction of course, by Alex Scarrow titled Ten Thousnad Suns or something similar about Germany secretly winning the war because of nuke development. If I get desperate I might buy it one rainy day.

#47 chocolatemouse

chocolatemouse

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

To add about german bomb project, scientifics as Einstein left germany  for thsi between others, why not to  imagine a kind of resistance from inside? Not all german were bad people,  it  would not  be human to imagine that  they were all inhumans and that resistance from inside was not existing. The reality was that this  existence was real  and that in camps were too german citizen which were fighting third reich.

#48 Tepid tasoth

Tepid tasoth

Seafood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

OMFG what's going on here?  (: Nazis 'n Nukes, what a great topic.  (:

#49 uriaheep

uriaheep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

I totally agree chocolatemouse, there were quite a few plots inside the Wermarch to get rid of Hitler - famously the one that Rommel lost his live over but these were more to do with being rid of the man who was destroying Germany, their country, more than humaniterian reasons, which is perfectly understandable.

There was though a German underground and many German citizens assisted to save some German Jews.  My point is though that the scientists involved in the Atom Bomb project were concerned to show themselves much further advanced than they were after the war.  

General opinion of the leading historians tends to believe that based on the project by Werner Heisenberg a nuclear deployment could not have taken place before abouut 1950.  Many others believe that due to Hitlers mistrust in the system and lack of funding it could never have been a reality.
Then again, they could be wrong.

Heavy water was certainly being brought from Norway into German.
LAST OF A DYING BROOD.

#50 Tepid tasoth

Tepid tasoth

Seafood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

Anyone knows WTF they were supposed to do w/ the heavy water after all? What would anybody do with heavy water other than using it for some nuclear stuff?

#51 chocolatemouse

chocolatemouse

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

There is two things to take in vision. As usualy history is not result of one event  but the mix of  several events and choices.
The problems the third reich got with the atomic bom was mainly  that structures  needed for it were destroyed by allied  bombs and  by  french and english  operation in norway and then that  it was not first industrial priority  of the reich as it needed important   industrial power. It was  the main thing that prevented hitler from getting the bomb, but we not have to forget  that several first class german scientist  as Einstein  were part of it .
It make me think that perhaps  some german scientifics could have delayed  third reich progress at some point , Even if later  allied bombings   made definatively   without hope german dream of atomic bomb.
But we have to never forget  that history not result of one  event but of the mix of several, and that previous events not have to be forgot  because other events happened after .
As  american atomic bomb  would have never  went so quickly if exiled german scientists  never had warned about progress of third reich.

Nose kisss

#52 Matri

Matri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

Well, them krauts did field jet-propelled planes years before the rest of the world...

Star Citizen.

#53 Accounting Troll

Accounting Troll

Bridge troll

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:27 AM

You do know that jet engines are a British invention?  Although I'm sure that Hollywood is working on a way to give the credit to the Americans.  Just like they did with the Battle of Britain and the Enigma decoding...

#54 chocolatemouse

chocolatemouse

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:41 AM

View PostAccounting Troll, on 12th May 2007, 2:27am, said:

You do know that jet engines are a British invention?  Although I'm sure that Hollywood is working on a way to give the credit to the Americans.  Just like they did with the Battle of Britain and the Enigma decoding...

Yes i remember a movie  with a submarine and americans grabbing the secret of enigma machine.
I was disgusted  by this fabrication of the past .

#55 Yanlin

Yanlin

One Man Modding Team

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

from a joke about WWII to nukes... this topic got totally hijacked.

You want a Jew's (me) perspective? WWII killed MORE then 6 mil of us. over 2 mil were children! We suffered at REAL ghettos so all of you idiots who live in poor neighborhoods with black gangs that have 5000$ stereo systems in cars that can't go over 40 miles per hour, can shut the hell up! anyway. leaving aside the fact that non of my family were killed during WWII (my grandma served in the Russian army and one of my uncles served in it as well) Jews were also killed in gas camps, baked in ovens and totally diminished.

scientists say the kill count was higher then 6 mil. MUCH higher. closer to 25 mil. that comes from entire Jewish villages and towns that were literally deleted from maps. and totally obliterated with nobody to tell of the carnage. the 6 mil stat is probably a failure in the German effort to kill off the Jews.

before you smart asses say the Germans hated the Jews for being Jews let me say this.

Germans hated EVERYBODY who wasn't blonde with blue eyes. INCLUDING THEIR OWN. not everyone was executed but... most of them were killed off. some survived and so you still see the different hair color and eye color Germans.

Jozef Mengele (or whatever you guys call him) experimented on Jews.---

sorry. i got carried away there. ok now back on topic. PLEASE. I'd hate to repeat my other "incident"

(thank god for spell checkers)

#56 Mikal

Mikal

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

Ooooohh Yanlin, Yanlin. Still showing a lack of knowledge about your homeland/history. Tut tut. Please learn your own history.

Pro rata more Jehovah's Witnesses were killed by Hitler's lot than Jews. No JW denied their faith to escape the camps but jews were to be found fighting for the then German government. Ironically the German government actually would have preferred to colonise occupied territories with JWs because of their non-political ways. Even more ironic is more JWs came out of the KZs than went in, even allowing for all those killed. No JW collaborated in the camps to stay alive. I only know this because having visited so many camps I wanted to know more about the camps and the politics.

Stalin killed more soviets than Hitler killed jews in the same period. It's history. All the death is a terrible waste. I abhor any senseless death but especially that due to political ambition. Once you've done your conscription you might understand that point of view. For someone living in a country surrounded by those with very long memories of historical religious conflict you need to learn a little more give and take.

And as one of those non USA people here please stop being such a xenophobic bigot. Thank you.

btw this is the Firing Range - Politics and Religion forum read other topics here and get used to the way they meander in this area. Suck it up.

#57 uriaheep

uriaheep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Before the dust had settled after the war, Jews were in conflict with the very people that had fought and died to free them.  That's history too.

View PostMatri, on 11th May 2007, 11:23pm, said:

Well, them krauts did field jet-propelled planes years before the rest of the world...
'Rocket' propelled old chap - as stated - Barnes Wallis invented the jet engine though some very clever German techs built an excellent working copy soon after. It's also interesting that the German planes developed much quicker to start with.
LAST OF A DYING BROOD.

#58 Matri

Matri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

View Posturiaheep, on 12th May 2007, 6:55pm, said:

It's also interesting that the German planes developed much quicker to start with.
Still, way too late to do them any good.

Star Citizen.

#59 Mikal

Mikal

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

View Posturiaheep, on 12th May 2007, 11:55am, said:

'Rocket' propelled old chap - as stated - Barnes Wallis invented the jet engine though some very clever German techs built an excellent working copy soon after. It's also interesting that the German planes developed much quicker to start with.

Hate to burst your bubble but Frank Whittle was teh designer of the jet engine, not Barnes Wallace. he started his design work before WW2 but the RAF wouldn't fund the research.

#60 Yanlin

Yanlin

One Man Modding Team

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

is this a talk about WWII or WWII in a funny way? PLEASE. get back on topic. crack jokes about nukes and WWII.

our arguments can go on forever. it's just stalemate.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users