#61 Space Voyager

new
Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

A quick Q... If I want a new X-COM, do I even bother with no mods or do I mod it from the start? I mean, is it worth trying to play vanilla or not?

#62 illegal youth

new
illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

i don't think it's worth trying out vanilla if you're looking for a new XCOM.  i wrote a pretty long comparison between vanilla UFO: ET and XCOM here:

http://www.xcomufo.c...=...st&p=167873

i'd get bman's new v3.06 v3.08 ease of use mod:

http://ufo-scene.com...wtopic.php?1576

it's basically started combining all the different mods together into one supermod.  since bman seems to be the one of the few UFO: ET modders still around, most of us have politely requested that other previous mods' features be included in bman's mod.  so new modders like surma and cyslider wrote code for bman to put into the mod.

oh yeah, and remember that "third side" that CC promised but never delivered?  i don't want to ruin the surprise, but let's just say that bman has delivered instead!

edit: looks like bman has already updated his mod again!

#63 bman654

new
bman654

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:13 PM

Some people actually enjoy the un-modded game.  I wasn't one of them, hence my mod.  No one has exact figures on how many play the game un-modded vs modded.  If you "watched" the forums you'd think everyone hated it unmodded but that is probably biased since the "haters" are going to be the most vocal.

My biased opinion is to play modded.  If you want to see the difference, then try playing one game-month and at least 1 combat unmodded.  Then install the mod and play another game-month and at least 1 more combat.  That should let you decide which you prefer fairly quickly.  Note: don't overwrite your savegame from before applying the mod, because once the mod is installed, any new saves ar enot compatible with the unmodded game.  If you decide you prefer un-modded, you will need your "unmodded" save after uninstalling the mod unless you want to start the game over.

#64 illegal youth

new
illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

well, to be fair, space voyager says he wants a "new XCOM."  so for that, i'd suggest your mod, bman.

#65 Space Voyager

new
Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions. I think I'll go for the mod ASAP. And perhaps try vanilla later if at all.

#66 Space Voyager

new
Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

I FINALLY started UFO:ET. Patched and with B-Man's (+Coasty's) 4.07 mod. With this mod you can change next to everything...

First mission (and only so far) was a scout. I expected a two-three crew members, there were more like 7-8... I lost a tank and two members, one in a coma and only one left standing when I finally killed the last LARVA! Those things have a sting!

Anyway, I have to test whether the personal shields work even though they are in a backpack. My men had THREE (one in a belt, two in a backpack) yet this wasn't enough. So it may be that those in the backpack were inactive.

It was great to see a Sectoid, really. Felt like home.  :D

#67 bman654

new
bman654

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:02 PM

the low level shields only stop 2 or 3 points of damage each before burning out.  So 2-3 shields will only stop like 8 points of damage.  Hover your mouse over the shield to see its "capacity".  Compare that to your soldier's health to get an idea of how little protection that is.  You have to load your soldier down with the low-level shields to make them useful.  Carry 8 or so and you will usually survive a gunshot with only minimal injury.

Later tech shields perform better.

#68 Space Voyager

new
Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

Oh I learned that the hard way...  :D

My soldiers are packed with shields. I only got one uebershield when I destroyed the UFO base. It has 50 points protection (but is also a bit heavier).

Thanks for the help though.

So, you playing SotS/BoB lately?

#69 Greywalker Zero

new
Greywalker Zero

The Discerning Madman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

So, I'm new to the forum and this is sort of my second post (shy of the day I noticed they were releasing the FPS XCOM game) and since then I've had no chance to get on and say some 'stuff'.
UFO:ET is lovely... I was playing Gallop's 'Chaos' on the Spectrum 48k (with rubber keys) then advanced on to Lords of Chaos and Laser Squad - all of which laid the basis for my first gaming love - ET is a reminder of that first love made fresh.
I've not installed any mods and I'm seeing no problems with the engine so that suggests a degree of finish and debug that you don't see in many games at the moment (especailly on Consoles).
I've just bumped in the the Destroyers for the first time and golly did they give me a good hammering (nothing a Heavy Laser can't fix, but hey...).
This officially puts me on the list of people keeping an eye on Chaos Concepts further works. :P
Oh my... A shiny new PLASMA RIFLE!  Mmmmmm... plasma rifle...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users