What do you think of UFO:ET so far?

Liandriel

Hi,

Im new to UFO ET, but I was/am a hunge fan of Xcom, and Terror from the deep. i liked that. Xcom Apcal.... it was cool. but I rember one time I had like 30 soldiers in one battle. Anyway getting of track here. When I played xcom I used to scout for enemy bases, with my fighter crafts. Now can you do this on ET or is it a waste of time? Also I have been trying to get more scientectst (wrong spelled so sue me) and techni.... (ok one more soo what?). How do you get them by building new labs and workshops?

Just for the record Its fun to relive the old but stil new TERROR... of xcom. Dissipointed with no terror mission... *sniff sniff* But do you guys know if you can fly? with a suit I mean.

Anyway its a new day and Im tired soo see ya tomorrow. bye guys and girls of course

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

You can get more scientists and technicians by building more labs/workshops-each building supplies 10 extra scientists or technians-I'm playing without the mods and am doing ok so far. I've just come across some aliens with paralysing powers that are a bit sneaky and have had a fair few of my men/women recovering in hospital after missions!!

I'm waiting to see if my newly researched first aid kit and weapons are going to help me!!

Rgds Steve :blush:

zaljin,

there's no flight in UFO: ET, and the highest number of units (soldiers and/or vehicles) that can be brought to a mission is 12.

you can scout areas with your craft in the geoscape, just like in XCOM.

terror missions appear randomly and are not spawned by a UFO. during the early game (first era), terror missions are extremely rare.

hope that helps.

I don’t find the fact you can only take 10 men and 2 vehicles limiting, that said however I was completing era 3 battleship capture missions with a basic transport carrying only 8 men.

Less CAF units = more interesting combat

First impression wise I found that the interface was inferior to that of apoc’s inside tactical missions and pre-patch poor on the geoscape.

With the patch the geoscape interface reminds me of one of a game a few years old.

Which to be honest is my overall first impression of ufo-et; that it was a game released a couple of years before ufo-am.

That said I haven’t played tactical missions as hard or as fun since the scripted ones on ufo-am.

Seriously thou why are there era 1 aliens on the battleships sometimes?

Seriously thou why are there era 1 aliens on the battleships sometimes?

its part of the game engine. each era aliens have a chance of appear in any era after they are first introduced, but that chance gets smaller as the game progresses. so first era aliens have a chance of appearing in the late game (for instance, fourth era), but that chance is relatively small.

There is a modder called Bman working on flying suits (among other stuff), check his thread here oin this site:

https://ufo-scene.com/news.php

Btw, no wonder that some reviewers complain about the "bad" graphics: They simply did not know that you can zoom in and out in tac missions. If zoomed out the graphics look much more impressing. (FWIW numpad + and numpad -)

bman's 3.0 mod is going to have a lot of amazing changes -- an expanded research tree, new items, aliens from XCOM, flying, mind control, panicking... it's going to be a whole other game, heh.

i've used the zoom feature (introduced in the first patch), and it doesn't help much. have you zoomed in on a soldier? zoomed in sprites are pretty ugly. but consider that i still find XCOM's graphics acceptable, i don't mind.

Yeah I know I can scout like in the xcom, but is there alien bases on the planet or will I just look for UFO. cause when my ships done its scouting it goes home and refulies and it takes some time. and then a UFO comes and begs to get shoot down. But no fuel in my aircrafts.

Ok so there is terror missions, usaly in Terror from the deep (I dont know with the same applies to Xcom) but at the end of every mounth there was a terror strike, usaly a ship. Anyway Im just glad to find out about the terrors.

Also that reminds me, I know its to this subject but do you guys know how to fix the Xcom bug for XP? When I start the screen gets al scrambeled and tiny. Do you know how I can fix that bug?

yes there are alien bases in UFO: ET, but only in territories that the aliens control. usually you'll scout out a landed ufo first, then after completing that mission, an alien base will appear on the same spot.

to get XCOM running in XP, use f0dder's patch (i'm sure it's in the files section) or get XCOMUTIL, which includes f0dder's patch among a number of other fixes/changes.

OK, now after playing UFOET for some days i must admit: It is my new Xcom! All those years Xcom was my favourite game and no "copy" could even scratch at its throne. But UFOET did. And now it is my new favourite!

Excellent graphics (when zoomed out), lots of stuff to research, many alien types, good interceptions, nice troop management: I like it! Lots of fun! :blush:

And those mods, wowowowow....

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think it's worth trying out vanilla if you're looking for a new XCOM. i wrote a pretty long comparison between vanilla UFO: ET and XCOM here:

https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=167873

i'd get bman's new v3.06 v3.08 ease of use mod:

https://ufo-scene.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1576

it's basically started combining all the different mods together into one supermod. since bman seems to be the one of the few UFO: ET modders still around, most of us have politely requested that other previous mods' features be included in bman's mod. so new modders like surma and cyslider wrote code for bman to put into the mod.

oh yeah, and remember that "third side" that CC promised but never delivered? i don't want to ruin the surprise, but let's just say that bman has delivered instead!

edit: looks like bman has already updated his mod again!

Some people actually enjoy the un-modded game. I wasn't one of them, hence my mod. No one has exact figures on how many play the game un-modded vs modded. If you "watched" the forums you'd think everyone hated it unmodded but that is probably biased since the "haters" are going to be the most vocal.

My biased opinion is to play modded. If you want to see the difference, then try playing one game-month and at least 1 combat unmodded. Then install the mod and play another game-month and at least 1 more combat. That should let you decide which you prefer fairly quickly. Note: don't overwrite your savegame from before applying the mod, because once the mod is installed, any new saves ar enot compatible with the unmodded game. If you decide you prefer un-modded, you will need your "unmodded" save after uninstalling the mod unless you want to start the game over.

• 5 months later...

I FINALLY started UFO:ET. Patched and with B-Man's (+Coasty's) 4.07 mod. With this mod you can change next to everything...

First mission (and only so far) was a scout. I expected a two-three crew members, there were more like 7-8... I lost a tank and two members, one in a coma and only one left standing when I finally killed the last LARVA! Those things have a sting!

Anyway, I have to test whether the personal shields work even though they are in a backpack. My men had THREE (one in a belt, two in a backpack) yet this wasn't enough. So it may be that those in the backpack were inactive.

It was great to see a Sectoid, really. Felt like home. :D

• 4 weeks later...

the low level shields only stop 2 or 3 points of damage each before burning out. So 2-3 shields will only stop like 8 points of damage. Hover your mouse over the shield to see its "capacity". Compare that to your soldier's health to get an idea of how little protection that is. You have to load your soldier down with the low-level shields to make them useful. Carry 8 or so and you will usually survive a gunshot with only minimal injury.

Later tech shields perform better.

• 3 years later...

So, I'm new to the forum and this is sort of my second post (shy of the day I noticed they were releasing the FPS XCOM game) and since then I've had no chance to get on and say some 'stuff'.

UFO:ET is lovely... I was playing Gallop's 'Chaos' on the Spectrum 48k (with rubber keys) then advanced on to Lords of Chaos and Laser Squad - all of which laid the basis for my first gaming love - ET is a reminder of that first love made fresh.

I've not installed any mods and I'm seeing no problems with the engine so that suggests a degree of finish and debug that you don't see in many games at the moment (especailly on Consoles).

I've just bumped in the the Destroyers for the first time and golly did they give me a good hammering (nothing a Heavy Laser can't fix, but hey...).

This officially puts me on the list of people keeping an eye on Chaos Concepts further works. :P

• 9 years later...
Been a while since I played (7-8 years ago, still not as old as newest post before mine lol) but I recall being very pleasantly surprised. Bought the Gold version on Steam going just on a gut feeling and I can say today this game hit closest to home as for that original and fresh XCOM gameplay no game since Apocalypse offered (Xenonauts was a huge letdown for me). I used to frequent then active ufo-scene forum for advice and an occasional mod, which was a goldmine of good stuff. One thing I vividly remember from the game were personal shields. They enhanced combat so much because I always hated when solders died or spent time in recovery. Great game which I defo intend to play again.