About this game thing...

Preda

I have a few things I need to know about Afterlight before I consider buying it.

First of all: are there any software improvements from the demo? My game slowed down to a frame per gougoulplex hours every time I ran into one of those tourquise robots. I have one gb of ram and a processor of 2.0 GHz (although it can do better for some games). I don't want to switch to minimal settings for each mission, and neither do I want to upgrade before Crysis comes out. Therefore I need to know how the game would behave on a system such as mine.

Second: One of the things I didn't like in Aftershock was the toned-down creepy atmosphere. Aftermath was so brilliant in this regard that it got me playing it again a few days ago. While I cannot hope for a return of the air-interceptions or lenghty research descriptions, I still would like to see an improved atmosphere.

Third: Some of the posts on this forum hint that the game doesn't allow you to research several things, despite the fact that you have what you need. I am talking about the magnetic field and the written language of mars. Have these things been repaired with the last patch?

I might come with more questions at a later date.

this game is great.

i have a weaker machine then yours and i have NO issues running it at full throttle max graphics.

must be something your computer ate hehe

anyway it must be the 2.0 GHz prossesor. i have a 2.8 GHz yet i have 512 ram.

i don't know whats causing it. it should run fine.

I have a few things I need to know about Afterlight before I consider buying it.

First of all: are there any software improvements from the demo? My game slowed down to a frame per gougoulplex hours every time I ran into one of those tourquise robots. I have one gb of ram and a processor of 2.0 GHz (although it can do better for some games). I don't want to switch to minimal settings for each mission, and neither do I want to upgrade before Crysis comes out. Therefore I need to know how the game would behave on a system such as mine.

No significant improvements from Aftershock, it runs at basically the same speed to me (1GB RAM and 2.0 GHz).

Second: One of the things I didn't like in Aftershock was the toned-down creepy atmosphere. Aftermath was so brilliant in this regard that it got me playing it again a few days ago. While I cannot hope for a return of the air-interceptions or lenghty research descriptions, I still would like to see an improved atmosphere.

100% agree and sadly, the creepy atmosphere is even more toned down, in fact, I don't think there is any :D

i havn't played aftershock. from what i've seen about it so far it was supposed to be more creepy then aftermath. i guess i will be disapointed when i finally manage to obtain a copy.

on topic: i think this case is settled. should have no problems at all.

answers are appreciated. now, I have another question. I doubt most of you have noticed how insanely detailed the Aftershock texturing really was. here is an example of what I mean?

https://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8058/wargottykm8.th.jpg

Is afterlight anything like this? from what I have seen through the demo, it's not quite as good. I may just as well be wrong, or maybe it's the exaggerate texturing that made AS run slowly, but still...

Nobody answered my question regarding the martian droney robots. Do you experience slow-downs when they come on-screen?

PS: I liked the way the Reticulans looked in Aftershock more than what I see in Afterlight. :D

yes. the detailed textures have been removed from afterlight and i have several examples of that,

i played aftermath, the character heads used to have the helmet detailed on them and graphical effects affected them to.

i assume that has been reflected in aftershock.

well... in afterlight the character heads are just lame ass recorded animations and it's made to look a bit cartoony...

as i am participating in the modding contest i damn as hell hope i at least win a copy of aftershock. i can't find it ANYWHERE in Israel (and don't even ask me why i can't buy online) so i hope i will win. wish me luck!

*poofs out of thin air*

Enough nose kisses and jolly hopes. Back to business.

Has anyone managed to actually finish all the research item in Afterlight and produce a bit of every item? Or have you all encountered the "can't research martian language and magnetic field" problem.

The only thing I couldn't research was Psi weapons, mainly because I never got the "capture reticulan rebel soldier" mission. I think that blocked off some research (the ninja suit) that never became available to research.

Have recently bought a new PC and will have reload at some point and try it again. Maybe with some of the mods as well (:

i didn't have any problems with research. besides spoken martian language... but that wasn't research fault.

martians weak bloody bloody bla got conquered by the beastmen blah blah blah.

so... yeah... reload.

but besides that i don't think i ever had problems. also i have the psi weapons problem. i thought ret commanders were the guys on the afterlight cover... ya know...

https://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/MM/LF/758469_GS_L_F.jpg

not those pyjama wearing weaklings walking around with reticulan pistols...

The only problem I have with my current game is that I can't research plasma technology as I can't capture a live martian soldier due to the fact that the beastmen has killed them off. (:

So it has been put on hold until this problem/feature is solved.

The only problem I have with my current game is that I can't research plasma technology as I can't capture a live martian soldier due to the fact that the beastmen has killed them off. (:

So it has been put on hold until this problem/feature is solved.

shameless ad:

i created a mod that makes the martians overpowered and able to stand up to the beastmen. they should actually reach a stalemate eventually but i assume if beastmen are kept at bay the martians will expand like cows with an arse itch.(huh?)

i forgot the link. just borrow through the modding forum on that ALTAR boards. it'll come up. martian army mod.

side note: my recalc mod also makes martians a tad stronger. but not on the same level.

extra side note: i mentioned that my martian army mod doesn't affect tactical play. that's true, it doesn't make them smarter or better. it just increases the difficulty at fighting them. but it sure as hell affects strategic play.

on topic: can somebody explain the main issue here? i believe this thread just got hijacked.

The thread is about me finding out all I need to know about this game, in order to decide wether to buy it or not. People can ask here about the various problems found in afterlight in order to decide upon their acquisition of the game.

Keep listing problems, people.

Keep listing problems, people.

There aren't many to list... Compared to the good sides of the games they are practically non-existent. I have nothing to gain from promiting it so you can take my word when I say it's worth the buy. Considering that you like such games at all, naturally.