X-com CE on Vista

BladeFireLight

I made a little check in VS 2005 yesterday and creating an installation package is incredibly easy. In fact, I think that with a little playing around I could make a brand new installer for X-COM, since the old installer just copied everything to the appropriate installation folder. I'll make a few test installations just to see what can be done. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the installation call your patch, because the installers in VS 2005 are not all that advanced. There is a free one called Inno Setup which I'll check out. I checked out Install Shield, and while it would be my application of choice it costs only... oh a mere 6000$. Of course that's just the best package, it has cheaper ones, too but still.

I'll be able to tell you more after I play around with this.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found an interesting bit of info that some Vista user might like to look into. I know I'm a bit late on the ball regarding UFO, but perhaps this'll help users having trouble with other games.

Well, we know Vista runs DX10, and that doesn't support older DX calls, right? This causes games which use DX9/8/7/etc specific features to mess up (assuming they boot at all).

But apparently you can install DX9 alongside DX10, which in theory should clear that particular issue right up. In the past, installing one copy of DX meant replacing the old version (which is why each new release needed to be backwards compatible).

All sounds a bit "too good to be true", doesn't it? :blink:

• 1 month later...

:Revives dead thread:

I've tried running the DX9 installer on Vista for other reasons besides X-com, and it says it's arleady thre. Using Vista32 Home Premium, btw.

I actually thought of another possible solution, one that I will be testing out soon. Why not use something like VMware, and run the games in a virtual of Windows 95, or 98? Back when they used to work correctly :laugh: I'm not even sure this will fix the speed issues we're having, but it should help with loading.

• 3 weeks later...

I only registered to share this with you guys. The only way to get it running is to drop it into a program called d3dwindower. It runs the game at its native resolution which unfortunately is of course small. Since my native resolution is 1680x1050 it runs in a tiny window that you can't resize. There is an english version of the program if you google 'd3dwindower english'.

I am not permitted to upload the .rar file so no go there. :laugh:

• 5 months later...
I installed the basic copy of CE with no mods on my vista computer.

I end up with a black screen, and can here the sound.

tried f0dders loader to no avail.

I"m using a 7800GT with the current 101 beta drivers

the system is 4800+ 64 x2 with 2gig's of ram.

Dosbox with the old versions work great. but I cant test xcomutil on vista that way.

Does any one have any ideas?

-Blade FireLight.

I managed to get it to work i two ways, but I'm a bit confused still. :laugh:

First off, I got it to work with the CE-version if I used max ET-patch, altough I didn't get his improved base-thingy to work, or change the resolution, but all the other functions seem to work. I was however, unsuccessful in getting it to work with xcomutil.

So then I tried the Steam-version of UFO: Defense, and it worked too, this time without any patches needed to be installed. The game looks a bit weird when you play it, compared to the CE-version. It looks more... "soft around the edges", more "smeared out" and has slightly different sounds. I imagine the're using a CD-version of the game or something like it, you probably know better.

However, when I looked in the XCOM-folder under Steam, it appears to have both the DOS-files and the CE-executables (if I remember correctly, the DOS-version had the UFOEXE and the UFOEXE2 folders, while the CE has the Ufo Defense.exe). If you unpack xcomutil to the game folder and run the setup (with DOSBox of course), it will first look for the DOS-files. So after completing the xcusetup I ran runxcomw.bat and it worked, only now the graphics and sounds were all familiar to me again, so it must be running the DOS-version I guess. And it was running with xcomutil-changes.

So, while I'm not sure what's going on with the different versions, I did manage to get it to run in Vista, with xcomutil, but I'm not sure it's the CE-version :D

Steam uses the DOS 1.2 version of the game on CD patched to 1.4. The DOS version has some different sounds when compared to CE. Yes, Steam includes both the DOS and CE versions of the game (we insisted on this when they released it) so that people would have a choice. However, when you install the game the default setup is the DOS version running under DOSBox, not CE. If you want to use the CE version, you'll need to do that manually. :laugh:

- Zombie

• 3 months later...

Was there a final word on this fix? The file seems to be removed, and I'm having a hard time playing with ACT and getting it to work. Suggestions, anyone?

EDIT: I've been tracing Blade's steps all over the internet, and found a post with the patch below:

https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=176402

Hopefully, we can discuss Blade's patch here, and play with it as needed.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, i have a pentium dual core with vista, and i got XCOM2 fully working just installing the game from this link:

*link removed*

i just downloaded it, press on "terrror from the deep.exe and the game started!

And better yet, you can download ALL the XCOM

• 1 month later...