60 replies to this topic

#1 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Xcomutil Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:34 AM

I installed the basic copy of CE with no mods on my vista computer.
I end up with a black screen, and can here the sound.
tried f0dders loader to no avail.
I"m using a 7800GT with the current 101 beta drivers
the system is 4800+ 64 x2 with 2gig's of ram.

Dosbox with the old versions work great. but I cant test xcomutil on vista that way.

Does any one have any ideas?

-Blade FireLight.
Combat is very simple, there is a first place and second place, second place is laying face down in the mud, sometimes, so is first place.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

You get a black screen whether you use f0dders patch or not? Are you able to disable your hardware acceleration perhaps?

If that doesn't work, maybe Moks version will. Note that this doesn't work with f0dders code at all.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#3 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Xcomutil Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

That was no help either it just crashed right off.
Combat is very simple, there is a first place and second place, second place is laying face down in the mud, sometimes, so is first place.

#4 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

Did you try the Windows ** compatibility mode? Haven't tested myself, but that worked on other games for me...

#5 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Xcomutil Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

View PostSlaughter, on 6th May 2007, 6:13am, said:

Did you try the Windows ** compatibility mode? Haven't tested myself, but that worked on other games for me...
yep. it was a no-go.

#6 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:15 AM

Tried changing your resolution, color depth, hardware acceleration and refresh rate settings?

#7 SAns

SAns

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

I have the same problem using vista. I have Ati Mobility Radeon X1700 on my notebook so i cant change my video card or something like hat. I'm also not capable to change perfomance issues such as disable DirectDraw acceleration due to windows Vista and driver restrictions. I've tryed to use PStrip, but with no result. I think that the problem is in DirectDraw acceleration, as wrote F0dder. Can anybody say me where and how can i fix this in Vista and with Ati Mobiliti Radeon card?

Thanks.

#8 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

As far as we can tell, X-COM working on Vista is not going to happen. The problem is that the source code of the game seems to have been lost, so there is nothing that can be done. At least not from that direction. The only other solution may be Microsoft, I remember they had solved some compatibility issues with XP. I can't remember what the web page was, you'll have to search for yourself.  The only thing I remember about the page was that the guy working for Microsoft kept a diary of games he got to run.

#9 Danial

Danial

Resident Muton

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:27 AM

View PostBladeFireLight, on 3rd April 2007, 2:34pm, said:

I end up with a black screen, and can here the sound.
I get the exact same thing :oh:

#10 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Xcomutil Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:37 AM

Well unless some aspiring hacker can fix CE on Vista it's going to be hard for me to test xcomutil with CE.
I personally prefer DosBox for playing EU/TFTD.

#11 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

It looks like DX 10 is not compatible with previous versions of DX, unlike DX 9. I am still trying to figure out how this affects things, but I would assume that the CE version is using and older version of DX. This should mean that unless someone gets the source code, there really is no future for CE X-COM.
Unfortunately, due to lack of drivers for the wireless USB adapter, I was unable to validate my copy of Vista, and just now found out that the 2 months are over. I'll have to do it over the phone tomorrow and then try to find an alternate solution.
For those of you desperate enough, you can get the game to run if you switch to the VGA driver, but that's a pain in the butt.

#12 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

After trying it myself... I can't imagine why you people get Vista on your computers! :\
Posted Image

#13 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Xcomutil Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

View PostAzrael Strife, on 21st December 2007, 2:25pm, said:

After trying it myself... I can't imagine why you people get Vista on your computers! :\

you know, people have said the same thing with every previous version on windows.  and the only time they were right was with ME. I have used every version of windows sense v2. Every time a new OS comes out there are always issues with thoes that upgrade. OSX 10.5 has been a real mess for me, as was XP.

I'm very happy with vista, for a pre SP1 OS, it has been more stable then OSX or XP were then they first came out.

And thanks to those that figured out the video driver issue. Switching back and forth to Standard VGA is a real pain. but I at least can test xcomutil on vista.

#14 zaimoni

zaimoni

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:51 AM

View PostGimli, on 21st December 2007, 2:17pm, said:

..., but I would assume that the CE version is using an older version of DX.
  While it is possible to upgrade Win95 to DirectX 9 (barely), the practical versions Win95 games expect are in the DirectX 3-6 range.

There were some severe downward-compatibility problems with DirectX 6.  F0dder's patch is meant to deal with a parameter error on the fly.  It may be that Vista is blocking real-time rewrites of executables [too lazy to check docs right now].

#15 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:00 AM

View PostBladeFireLight, on 22nd December 2007, 12:45am, said:

you know, people have said the same thing with every previous version on windows.  and the only time they were right was with ME. I have used every version of windows sense v2. Every time a new OS comes out there are always issues with thoes that upgrade. OSX 10.5 has been a real mess for me, as was XP.

I'm very happy with vista, for a pre SP1 OS, it has been more stable then OSX or XP were then they first came out.

And thanks to those that figured out the video driver issue. Switching back and forth to Standard VGA is a real pain. but I at least can test xcomutil on vista.
Dunno about others, but I have tried it myself and definitely don't see a reason to use it. Face it, it's bloatware, vaporware, not even the Aero look justifies its size or the huge amount of resources it consumes, there is just no reason to use a monster like that.
Posted Image

#16 Danial

Danial

Resident Muton

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

Besides some minor conflicts such as X-COM CE, I love Vista. My computer actually runs a lot faster now than it used to under XP. Anyway, each to their own... :oh:

#17 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

View PostDanial, on 23rd December 2007, 12:02pm, said:

Besides some minor conflicts such as X-COM CE, I love Vista. My computer actually runs a lot faster now than it used to under XP. Anyway, each to their own... :)
Really?  :P wow must that be a first! All the benchmark tests I found online said that Vista was significantly slower than XP, all the technical blogs and sites suggested a minimum of 1GB of RAM to run it properly (not even talking about Aero), and when running it it did feel slower than XP (not to mention the annoying "security" messages).

Anyway, as long as you're happy... :) I got rid of my Vista copy after the first day I got my new computer, I was real jolly to have this version of XP  :oh:
Posted Image

#18 Danial

Danial

Resident Muton

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:32 AM

View PostAzrael Strife, on 24th December 2007, 2:16am, said:

Really?  :P wow must that be a first! All the benchmark tests I found online said that Vista was significantly slower than XP, all the technical blogs and sites suggested a minimum of 1GB of RAM to run it properly (not even talking about Aero), and when running it it did feel slower than XP (not to mention the annoying "security" messages).

Anyway, as long as you're happy... :) I got rid of my Vista copy after the first day I got my new computer, I was real jolly to have this version of XP  :oh:
Well I did have 2GB RAM to begin with and I've turned off the "annoying security messages", so maybe that makes it run a bit better. Who knows...

#19 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

Coulda been slowdown associated with the crapware that builds up on many systems over time.

There might be a reason to update to Vista in the future. In fact, there probably will be one. Right now, though, I don't see it.

#20 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 24th December 2007, 12:38pm, said:

Coulda been slowdown associated with the crapware that builds up on many systems over time.

There might be a reason to update to Vista in the future. In fact, there probably will be one. Right now, though, I don't see it.
It was considerably slower on a fresh install, I had *just* purchased the computer, the difference between XP and Vista is very noticeable. There is a reason MS has business accords with processor companies, you know, they're basically forcing you to upgrade with greatly bloated software, that's what bothers me the most, there IS a reason why XP runs faster and why most linux distributions run way fater on way less than 1GB of RAM, even with *prettier* interfaces than Aero...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users