Fallout

NKF

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, don't be fooled by that. It's just the number of combinations of those ending slides that Fallout had. Apparently it's not a whole lot, as per NMA, but I'm too lazy to link. Still, it's definitely an improvement over the 9-12 slides they had in the beginning. Let's see, if you had 8 choices, each with yes/no values, that would be 2^8 = 256. As you may know from binary systems, the number of these doubles with every new choice.

Hmm. So it's nothing really new, I guess. Really a summary of a few main missions that you did right/wrong. Just as long they don't leave a few hanging/unavoidable(aka incomplete) outcomes like they did in the first two games. Those always left me a bit puzzled.

Myron died/died some other way, some interesting town got destroyed/disappeared, Dogmeat got a bowl of treats/did not get a bowl of treats and thus got depression as a result, Harold grew another eye/ear, Vault Dweller Statue destroyed/was given a pompadour.

- NKF

• 2 years later...

I'm resurrecting this dormant thread. Still dilly-dallying about getting the PS3 or PC version of Fallout 3 - but may not get them at all at this rate. However, that's beside the point. I'm mainly reviving this as a call for help.

I've decided to reinstall and replay Fallout 2 for my annual 'replay an old classic game' run and have hit a bit of problem. The most recent patch that I've got on hand has done two things to the game that I do not particularly like. The first is that is has added CD-dependence on the 'humongous' install, where that used to mean that you could play the game without the CD. The second, is that it will only recognize D: as the CD-Rom, which is impossible for me since I have a D: partition.

Now, I'm sure I've done some drive remapping in the past, but I have forgotten where I can do this since it's not something I do regularly. Can anyone point me in the right direction where this could be done? Either via XP or 98.

I suppose I could pass up the patch and go with plain vanilla v1.0. It would mean a bugged Highwayman (or could pretend that it's a 'sapient pearwood' Highwayman trunk) but at least that runs.

- NKF

Under XP, right click My Computer and select Manage from the context menu. In the window that comes up, select Disk Management. Right click drives within the list that appears for the option to change their assigned letter.

The Disk Management panel doesn't exist within '98. To memory, you use Device Manager instead. Right click My Computer, select Properties, and the Device Manager can be found somewhere in the panel that comes up (under the "System" or "Hardware" tabs, can't remember for sure). Once you've got that open, bring up the properties for the drive you want to alter, and you should be able to assign a letter.

Odd, attempting a quick reply here told me the "page I was trying to access did not exist".

Thanks BB.

Matri: I have the game on CD as well as on a White Label budget DVD compilation so am thankfully not short on copies. I mainly need to negotiate the right patches. The other option is to dust off my older laptop. A tad slower in its load times, and the screen's got a red tint, but will definitely work.

Next big thing is to decide if I should go with my solo jinxed gunman or throwing expert. Both hilarious in concept but proved to be amongst the more entertaining 'combat oriented' builds I've played so far. So was the 2 Int chap.

- NKF

• 6 years later...