RandomStorm problem: cannot inflict criticals

sniperton

Hi slaughtermates,

I have S3 v1.1 with koMik's excellent RS_Mod v. "(finaltest?)". I applied the mod in mid-game using S3AddMod. After reloading the savegame it seems that my squad members have completely lost their ability to inflict critical hits. Moreover, it seems that the mod suppresses the effect of special abilities such as increased damage etc. (The average xp level of my team was about 10, and 100+ damage was not a rarity before. Now a 12 xp master sniper can only cause a <40 damage with a headshot.)

As the first time I applied the mod while in game, I made some experiments. Exited the game, applied the mod, then started the game again. Very strange, but everything went fine (the guys were as good as before) until the second scenario/RE. Then the guys sank back to rookie level again.

Is it a known problem/bug? If yes, is there any workaround for it?

Thank you for your time. Any help, advice or hint would be most appreciated.

Yours most obedient Sniperton

Sorry but I have never encountered that bug... it's strange indeed. :bleh:

Some of mobs in REs are on higher levels but that should not affect to player's damage. Does this happen in every RE? One reason could be mobs' armor, some of them have better bodyarmors - but not all.

I think there is no workaround for that no criticals-bug. My S3MixMod mod, which increased damages, may help but it makes the game harder as well. You may add it "over" the RS_mod and play with them at same time.

https://koti.mbnet.fi/sil5i/mods/S3MixMod.zip

Hi KoMik, thanks for the comment and, generally, for your otherwise fascinating mod!

Some of mobs in REs are on higher levels but that should not affect to player's damage. Does this happen in every RE?

It happens in every RE, both old and new, plus in ordinary scenarios.

One reason could be mobs' armor, some of them have better bodyarmors - but not all.

Negative. Body armour shouldn't affact the damage caused by headshots, should it? It seems to me instead that characters lose some of their special abilities gained before the mod was installed. I will make a try and start a new game with RS_Mod installed from the very beginning, just to see what happens in that case. I'll report the results.

Cheers and thanks again!

Hi,

It's really odd. Seems to be a game bug.

1. If I start a new (modded) campaign without restarting the game, then the bug is present: I can get, but cannot inflict critical hits, and there are no flying messages whatsoever (e.g. 'AP reduction', etc). Unaimed careful shots usually cause more damage than those aimed at the head with 100% hit probability.

2. OK, so far, so good. But now I save the game in the middle of a mission or RE, exit to Windows, start the game again, and load the file I saved half a minute ago. Miracle! It works fine, I'm able to inflict criticals and there are plenty of flying messages

• 3 months later...
Hi,

It's really odd. Seems to be a game bug.

1. If I start a new (modded) campaign without restarting the game, then the bug is present: I can get, but cannot inflict critical hits, and there are no flying messages whatsoever (e.g. 'AP reduction', etc). Unaimed careful shots usually cause more damage than those aimed at the head with 100% hit probability.

2. OK, so far, so good. But now I save the game in the middle of a mission or RE, exit to Windows, start the game again, and load the file I saved half a minute ago. Miracle! It works fine, I'm able to inflict criticals and there are plenty of flying messages

I've had this problem as well, but did not attempt to track down the process. I just notice that my sniper with "Always inflict ranged critical" would for periods of time not inflict any. Definately makes taking out PK's more work, not to mention impossible to get beam PK's. I'm not that keen on PK's though.

• 2 weeks later...
2. OK, so far, so good. But now I save the game in the middle of a mission or RE, exit to Windows, start the game again, and load the file I saved half a minute ago. Miracle! It works fine, I'm able to inflict criticals and there are plenty of flying messages – until the first reload (which otherwise takes triple time).

(...)

Any ideas?

I have encountered the bug (no criticals & lowered damage) as well while on-and-off modding with my new developed version of RandomStorm. The bug have something to do with corrupted game loads. One and maybe only way to avoid it to happen could be if player save/reload on global map, not in mission or RE maps. In big and long missions, when you have to save, restart the game before reloading (if criticals are necessary). My g-card is so old that I usually have to reboot after an hour of playing anyway.

If I find a way to get rid of the bug which corrupts loads, there maybe will be a small modded campaign mod release (demo for the new kind of RS3mod) on fall... hmm.. maybe. :)

One and maybe only way to avoid it to happen could be if player save/reload on global map, not in mission or RE maps. In big and long missions, when you have to save, restart the game before reloading

Yes, KoMik, I think you're right. I came to the same conclusion. Currently, 'reload with restart' seems to be the only solution to the problem.

If I find a way to get rid of the bug which corrupts loads, there maybe will be a small modded campaign mod release (demo for the new kind of RS3mod) on fall... hmm.. maybe. :)

Good luck, I hope you'll succeed. And many thanks for your excellent work!