X-COM: UFO is #1 says IGN

Gimli

A non-biased list will have a sample that is very representative of the population of all gamers alive. Granted, we won't know how good our sample is unless we actually do survey every gamer alive.

Well, okay, the list will still be biased if you ask what the "best" game is. But it will definitely reflect what the most popular/favourite games are.

• 3 weeks later...
The Extremely Unbiased Top Games List, courtesy of our fine group of gentlemen...

Well, it doesn't really matter, as it will be "Strategy Core's List", so it's biased by its very nature. In fact, I find it hard to believe there can even be such as thing as a non-biased list.

All lists are biased.

How about Extremly Biased Game Reviews. At least it's honest!

Besides, it's always good to get a variety of reviews of the same game so that the reader can form a general impression of their own.

- NKF

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I was also surprised that Ultima was missing as well as Bulfrog and Elite representation, but, considering that it was such a few places for so many games, I guess it makes sence.

I still remember Bullfrog for their bugless games. I cannot recall any other company that their games were bug-free at the date of release. I would give the first place for quality software company to Bullfrog, if I had the chance.

X-COM is undoubtfully in a well deserved 1st place, and I do not think there is another game that I am playing for so long... :laugh:. Although I do not have multiple copies of it on my HDD :D :D :), I have both UFO EU and TFTD installed and playing.

There was a time tha I couldn't play them, though. When my Win95-PC I had specifically created to run X-COM, Daggerfall, Fantasy General and Panzer General, went to my mother, and until I found out about Dosbox(bless bethesda for releasing the Elder Scrolls I as free software and recomended dosbox to play it!), I was unable to play X-COM...

I still remember Bullfrog for their bugless games. I cannot recall any other company that their games were bug-free at the date of release. I would give the first place for quality software company to Bullfrog, if I had the chance.

If only it were true...

Everything they released based on their Magic Carpet engine was prone to random crashes at any given moment (except maybe Populous 3, which I haven't gotten around to playing yet, though I get the impression they'd finally fixed it by that stage).

This was never more frustrating then when playing the original Magic Carpet itself; maps at the later levels (or even the lower levels if you were playing the expansion) could easily take over an hour to complete, and with no option to save midway, a freeze was frustrating to say the least.

Heck, the amount of times I've had a crash in UFO must be dwarfed by the amount of times a Bullfrog game crashed on me. :laugh:

But they were that good I played through many of their titles anyway. Between them, Origin and Blizzard, many genres became as we see them today. There's been very little innovation since.

Have to second that about Bullfrog. Great games, but not necessarily bug ree. I used to play Syndicate + American Revolt and Syndicate Wars a lot back in the day. They were prone to crashes or were very fussy with the specs. Recently picked up Wars last year and that locked up my laptop that I had to pull the battery out to reset it. Next time I feel adventurous, I'll try it again through Dosbox.

Even the best of PC games from that era weren't exempt from some form of bug. Even the console games of today can crash at certain points when something is done that it wasn't meant to cope with or if the game gets unstable.

We had a wealth of great games back then. Far too many that I haven't tried yet or am still trying to collect. Not to say there aren't gems today - but there are plenty of stinkers with exceptional eye candy but lacking in fulfilling gameplay.

- NKF

Lucky indeed, I lost track of how many times DK crashed when exiting possession mode... :laugh:

... probably 'cause I played through it too many times.

DK II was stable for me though. Shame about all the stuff they didn't include from the original, but it was a good game in it's own right.

Heheheh...

My strategy eventually turned out to be this. Train a creature to level 10 (max), then use possession on it. You can now beeline the enemy's dungeon heart (or run through a hero area with the ability to avoid traps) and wreck havoc.

Most levels give you a "Transfer Creature" special which allows you to take your "pet" with you. Starting a map with a maxed out monster means you can often win within a few minutes.

A Vampire is especially good for this tactic. I locked a level 10 Vamp in with a level 10 Horned Reaper once... The blood sucker won.

Possessing one of those means you can spam it's life leech attack (that red bolt thing) and keep your life topped up for a very long time indeed. Assuming you do get swarmed with "unbeatable odds", he's still got a hurricane spell which removes enemies very quickly, a heal spell which replaces a nice chunk of his health, a shield spell to reduce damage, and in the absolute worst case scenario you can teleport back to base at the press of a button. Even if you don't teleport in time, he still doesn't die; being immortal he just rises out of his coffin again minus a level.

Unfortunately, in the Deeper Dungeons, enemies tend to build scavenger rooms and cram them with Vampires. This makes it nearly impossible to have any of your own. You can still use possession to send single creatures to attack dungeon hearts, however, you've got to be a lot more stealthy about it - it's quite possible to sneak your way through without being seen.

Ah, nostalgia, nostalgia.

Ooooh, look what I found...

Really interesting...What a mocking by EA, though..A company should have known better than saying "The good news? EA today announced Dungeon Keeper Online, an MMO-based continuation of Bullfrog's classic strategy games. Bad news? It's not for you."

I never liked EA much, but mocking your potencial customers this way is a reason to dispise it.

I can only imagine the news site was paraphrasing when they posted that. Likely EA is only licensing this game to a Chinese company because that's the only company that asked for the license.

That's not to say that EA execs aren't evil to the core, of course.

Yeah, you are propably right. Reading the comments got me thinking that it was an EA announcement rather that a news presentation... It makes better sence...

Still, X-COM is the best! I would like another X-COM like the 2-first, although not a re-release. I must admit Apocalypse did disappoint me in certain aspects.