Official X-COM Fan Art thread

Pumpkinhead

Wow that great work there. My instincts tell me that it was done with Flash.

Just wondering as to which version of Flash do you have? Cause I'm looking to upgrade my Flash (Flash MX version.)

Once again, great artwork.

Oh yeah, Vet! Don't over do it, just give him a sample. :thinking:

Thanks everyone.

Yep, Pete's right, it was in fact created in Illustrator.

@Zombie: I was going more for the "arm ripped out of socket" look than the "Muton eating arm" look :thinking:

Also, I've been wanting to do some art with the other aliens, but most are quite "un-poseable" (such as the Ethereal, Cyberdisc. Silacoid, Celatid). I think I'll try for the Sectopod next! I've had a few ideas for one of them lately :eh:

No need to use Flash unless you're actually animating something :eh:

Not quite so, I regulary use Flash to make my artwork better. ;)

I think I'll try for the Sectopod next! I've had a few ideas for one of them lately :P

It would be very funny if it was like ED-209 from Robocop :thinking:

Apart from the Sectoids, I think the Mutons are probably the most iconic of the X-Com aliens.

So tell me WHY do we have a Chryssalid in the banner at the top of every page? :eh:

I think Mutons are the most abundant alien (atleast they were in my games) and that's why they stick in my mind. If they are indeed the "foot soldiers" as their bio states, then it makes sense that they would be the main attacking force. So their numbers, combined with their inherent strength, is what makes them so significant and cool to me... hence why I draw them most often ;)

I'm quite impressed with my current game of EU - I've got all tech apart from Psi, and because I've not researched into the alien threat, I've not had any Mutons or Ethereals yet.

Since Snakemen and Chrysalids are kicking my arse though, I'm glad the Mutons aren't about yet ;)

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I added Skonar's "Chryssalid in a tree" to SC's FanArt page. Nice! :)

As for a thread, I renamed this topic and merged all the fan art topics floating around into this. And again, thanks to everyone who submitted pieces for consideration. StrategyCore is the place on the net for EU-related fan art. Keep 'em coming! :)

- Zombie

• 11 months later...

Firstly, if there is already a better spot for this, I haven't seen it, but feel free to move it, mods.

Anyway, a little while back I ended up with a whole bunch of extra time for various reasons. Bored faeces-less, I did a few doodles. When I got my new pc up and running, I decided to grab a cheap Photoshop wannabe (Serif Photoplus in this case) and polish my sketches up a little.

Now, while I seem to have the basics of the program mastered, I have seen much better (take a look at Conceptart.org for some impressive work). Of course, those guys probably all have tablets to play with.....those things sound cool. :wub:

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2927/armourwipux4.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-02

Anyway, first up it a quick concept of the power-armour. It's only a WIP at the moment. The base-colours and sheen have been done with, but I'm still toying with the idea of adding a damage layer, decal layer (rank insignia etc), and combat webbing for his gear.

I might have to leave the damage (if anyone knows how to produce convincing looking scorchs/penetration/generic bumps-and-scrapes let me know, 'k?), and I'm unsure whether a covert organisation like xcom would have any kind of labelling/insignia at all.

So yeah, constructive criticism welcome, advice too.....

Other stuff pending:

HWPs (tracked and hover) - shouldn't take long

A few weapon concepts - shouldn't take long

Personal Armour guy - still needs the full photoshop treatment

A few ideas roughed up for dynamic action scenes - need implementing

No aliens as yet.

Oh,

and I've taken the Ranger as described in the Datacanister Archives and roughed it out in Google Sketchup. Still needs some work (and the 14m wingspon looks a little dart-like) but I'll get that up at some point.

Now hang on while I figure out how to upload an image. :blush:

edit:

Hmm, lost quite a bit of the finer details at the lower resolution (this was at about 4096 rather than 1024x768).....still, lemme know if it needs resizing for the forum. kthnx.