Unity Making a Comeback

Pete

Hi all!

Well I finally decided to try and get Unity back online now that I have much more of a grasp of coding in the hopes that there are still people out there playing email X-COM.

It took a bit of tinkering, but I got the logins working (which was the main issue) and am currently in the process of making sure the rest of the files work (hence the slightly premature New Battle email that got sent out).

Currently not a lot else is working, so for some reason matches can't be started, however that's a minor issue as everything else looks broken anyway.

I'm hoping there are still players out there, and I'll be doing my best to get this thing working and presentable in the hopes that this is the case.

If you could do a bit of a roll-call to say you're still interested, that'd also be grand.

Mornin' Doug! How's things?

It'll probably take me the weekend and some of next week (on and off) to get the tourney working properly and not looking so much like a bomb's hit it (which again is my fault :what: ) and then we'll see where we're at.

Incidentally I'm having some trouble installing the game on my machine, but I'm not going to let a little thing like that stop me :bleh:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys - I've been going a bit cross-eyed with this Perl code and I have to catch up on a few of your emails and other messages as well which I'll endeavour to do this weekend now I've got less on.

I'll try and keep you updated on progress a bit more often over the next week or so as I get more things working as they should again. So much for my "few days" guesstimate!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still working on this, but it's taking a little more effort than I thought :D

Basically in the couple of years since this was last working, Perl (the programming language it's written in) has had a few updates. As a result I'm having to tweak a few bits and pieces, but I'm confident of getting it working in the next few weeks.

Hang in there gents.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly there with this system. There's still a few things giving me grief, but I'm sure I can work them out.

Might not get much done this week with web work taking up my evenings until a deadline on Saturday, but I shall keep posting status updates when I have something to tell.