Crashes and bugs *SPOILERS ARE INCLUDED*

I have just found the first crash bug.Having just come back from a mission I went straight into my squad selection screen as normal to unequip their gear.I went right through the squad (1 to 7),but as soon as I tried to unequip Harald (no 3 in squad) the game crashed to DT with the normal error report.I reloaded the game and tried again,and it crashed,and loaded a third time,and again it crashed.The fourth time I removed the rocket launcher from Harald (trial and error in isolating the cause) then unequipped him as normal,and this time it worked.

This is definitely a return of one of the most annoying bugs that plagued :AS and I urge this report to be sent on to Altar/and or Cenega,so they can at least prepare the game's first patch.

I wonder if these crashes are fixed at a certain point in the game?,as I have played non stop now since 9th Feb without so much as a glitch,until now :(

Er, not to sound pedantic but why do you unequipment after each mission? I don't think there is any need to :(

I have a couple of squads ready - scientific for excavation sites, technical to repair damage from incursions, then the anti- reticualn, anit- beastmen and anti-martian squads. I swap and change squad members as I have to but the basic weapon loadout is set for each squad.

Very simple sorbicol.

I like to check on my supplies after every mission,and there is always the chance I might want to modify the loadout for next time.Each to their own in the end.

I myself have a main Assault Squad and a Base Repairs Squad,and am currently playing around with a few more.

Dont worry about being pedantic either,I wouldnt hehe.

Not sure if this is a "bug" but early in the start of my game I agreed to trade chemical resources to the Ret. faction. Well now that I'm deeper into the game, I really need those chemical resources back; I have about 5 buildings that I can't build at my base because of it, and what's worse is there doesn't seem to be enough chemical resources on the map to make up for this drain, at least I can't find any atm.

Is there no way to end the resource drain outside of all out war against the Ret., it seems a rather poor way of negotiating the sharing of resources with ally factions.

Not sure if this is a "bug" but early in the start of my game I agreed to trade chemical resources to the Ret. faction. Well now that I'm deeper into the game, I really need those chemical resources back; I have about 5 buildings that I can't build at my base because of it, and what's worse is there doesn't seem to be enough chemical resources on the map to make up for this drain, at least I can't find any atm.

Is there no way to end the resource drain outside of all out war against the Ret., it seems a rather poor way of negotiating the sharing of resources with ally factions.

Unfortunately the only way to break trading agreements is to go to war :(

Something to be fixed in a patch I feel. I got stuck with low chemicals for ages!

I've had several different crash bugs.

One whines about allocating memory. One whines about the virtual filesystem. And ofcourse the normal "windows crash".

As far as bugs go, sometimes the portraits in the inventory screen overlap when in tactical missions, and its impossible to access the inventories of certain characters.

I'm not sure if its a bug, but if a uncouncious unit is covered by an dead unit in the same spot in the same facing, i've yet to find a way to target it. Had to start carrying dynamite to deal with those.

And if the AI is "working as intended" it stands for "Artificial Idiocy". Sometimes it just freezes.

Same goes for the visibility. It has to be broken considering some of the inconsistencies.

I've had several different crash bugs.

One whines about allocating memory. One whines about the virtual filesystem. And ofcourse the normal "windows crash".

As far as bugs go, sometimes the portraits in the inventory screen overlap when in tactical missions, and its impossible to access the inventories of certain characters.

I'm not sure if its a bug, but if a uncouncious unit is covered by an dead unit in the same spot in the same facing, i've yet to find a way to target it. Had to start carrying dynamite to deal with those.

And if the AI is "working as intended" it stands for "Artificial Idiocy". Sometimes it just freezes.

Same goes for the visibility. It has to be broken considering some of the inconsistencies.

1. ONe is the memory leak problem. I get this too and the only solution so far is to save and restart the game after every 5 missions or so.

2. Not sure what you are driving at there. Are you talking about enemy units?

3. I find the AI to be fairly good although it does do the occasion WWI "over the top" tactic and just walk its units in to a hail of fire my guys are putting down. I have noted that sometimes the alien just stand there being shot and doing nothing, but I think this might be down to them having run out of ammo - especially Rets with missle launchers.

4. The visibility thing I agree with :(

So far my greatest frustration is the equipment screen crash bug.

It seems stable enough as long as you don't delete any squads, move around on squad members, drag a new squad member over an exsisting squad member, drag a new armor over an exsisting armor.

The most appearant crash is when you drag and drop a squad member over another squad member which really bugs me when you are doing squad management....

2. Not sure what you are driving at there. Are you talking about enemy units?

Im assuming you ment this with number two. I will elaborate.

Say its one of those "kill all units with a arrow sitting on their heads" missions. And there is 3 spiders that need to be killed.

So obviously when the spiders come charging in, I would target the closest one, and then when it falls unconcious I target the nearest concious unit, and so on. This means that if the spiders are coming in a straight line towards me, the odds are that they drop near the same spot, sometimes perfectly on top of eachother.

Ofcourse as enemy units cant push through eachother, unless they are dead, it does require for the first unit to die, and then for the second one to fall unconcious at the same spot.

After that its only possible to kill the topmost one of them, its not possible to target the ones under him, even if they show up on radar as red dots. I've tried attacking the ground, but that doesnt help. I've even shot the ground with rockets without any effect at times, only dropping dynamite right on top of that pile allways damages them.

And this reminds me, sometimes I've had enemy units falling unconcious underneath the floor, so its impossible to shoot at them.

Im assuming you ment this with number two. I will elaborate.

Say its one of those "kill all units with a arrow sitting on their heads" missions. And there is 3 spiders that need to be killed.

So obviously when the spiders come charging in, I would target the closest one, and then when it falls unconcious I target the nearest concious unit, and so on. This means that if the spiders are coming in a straight line towards me, the odds are that they drop near the same spot, sometimes perfectly on top of eachother.

Ofcourse as enemy units cant push through eachother, unless they are dead, it does require for the first unit to die, and then for the second one to fall unconcious at the same spot.

After that its only possible to kill the topmost one of them, its not possible to target the ones under him, even if they show up on radar as red dots. I've tried attacking the ground, but that doesnt help. I've even shot the ground with rockets without any effect at times, only dropping dynamite right on top of that pile allways damages them.

And this reminds me, sometimes I've had enemy units falling unconcious underneath the floor, so its impossible to shoot at them.

Ah I see. have to say that I haven't suffered from that myself. You should report bugs to the official game forum, Altar employees are pretty active on it and are already addressing the memory leak problem (alledgedly :()

Altar Afterlight Forums

As for people sinking into the ground when unconcious, that happens to me too. However I think this is common in most ragdoll type physics engines - it happens a lot in Silent Storm as well. I just wait until they regain conciousness and then shoot them again! By and large it doesn't really effect the game.

(Posted on the official AL forum)

Forth install.

Noticable behaviour of game - After tutorial or regular start to game, instant jump and infinite loop to squad screen continues.

Changed drivers to:

ATI Catalyst 7.1 - result - no change

Omega 38330 - result - no change

All game settings down to minimum - result - no change

Resolution down to 1280 x 800 - result - no change

(Using DriverCleaner 3 to rip out drivers & rebooting between each subsequent install of new drivers)

Will try the demo, see if that exhibits same behaviour

Will roll back ATI drivers to see if that helps, but honestly, I can't see why screen looping should be down to gfx issue, this seems more invasive, for want of a better term

Additional system behaviour changes:

On start up, windows fails to boot, taking me to the 'safe mode' options screen. Again it is looping in the options without actually taking me further unless I rapidly press a key to actually 'trigger' a change & allowing machine to actually boot to windows.

Additional behaviour, hardware - logitech cordless keyboard behaving erratically, swithcing between shift/dual key functions, not registering return/enter key, same for using esc key for finishing tasks, ditto for windows key.

Whatever is going on, it's is too coincidental to have all this weird behaviour start after installing AL

--

Not much fun, by any stretch of the imagination.

What I would like to see though is some response from the devs about their attempts to deal with the crashes and potential eta for a patch - I'm not fussed if they miss a deadline, what I want is feedback, acknowledgement or whatever.

(Sorry for my poor english)

Hi all,

I am new in this forum (also this game). After 1 week game-play, the game always crash after I loaded into any save-games :( . The error messages are:

ufo.exe - Application error.

The instruction at "<address>" referenced memory at "0x00000000".

The memory cannot be "read".

The field <address> are always one of the followings :) :

1. 0x7e930f29

2. 0x7e931e58

3. 0x6923b493

My computer (software) configuration:

ATI Catalyst 7.2

Windows XP Pro SP2

I have already re-install the game twice :( ! But after I re-install the game, then I try to start a new profile, but it crashes again even I am entering the tutorial section :D !

Please HELP!!!! :(

Problems like this used to occur in Ufo Aftershock,where the game used to crash a LOT.The devs released a couple of patches for that game which did in fact cure a lot of problems,just not all of them.It sounds like it MAY be a bug in the game,and so I would wait for the game's first patch.

Having said all this,UFO:AL is very stable,and much more bug free than its predecessor.

I myself have had only 2 crashes to DT since 9th Feb.

It might be worth a try to make sure you have your card's latest drivers,I myself also use Catalyst drivers.Either that or try and roll back to older drivers (if you have them on a disc).

Also try this.Go into:

Program Files/Cenega/UFO Afterlight/Profiles/

There you should see a file called: ProfilesInfo

Delete that file and restart the game.The game SHOULD create a new ProfilesInfo,and possibly cure the crash.I did this in UFO:AS once,and it worked.

Make sure to back up anything you delete however.

Problems like this used to occur in Ufo Aftershock,where the game used to crash a LOT.The devs released a couple of patches for that game which did in fact cure a lot of problems,just not all of them.It sounds like it MAY be a bug in the game,and so I would wait for the game's first patch.

Having said all this,UFO:AL is very stable,and much more bug free than its predecessor.

I myself have had only 2 crashes to DT since 9th Feb.

It might be worth a try to make sure you have your card's latest drivers,I myself also use Catalyst drivers.Either that or try and roll back to older drivers (if you have them on a disc).

Also try this.Go into:

Program Files/Cenega/UFO Afterlight/Profiles/

There you should see a file called: ProfilesInfo

Delete that file and restart the game.The game SHOULD create a new ProfilesInfo,and possibly cure the crash.I did this in UFO:AS once,and it worked.

Make sure to back up anything you delete however.

Thanks for your reply. :(

I have tried to deleted the ProfilesInfo first but no luck. Then I tried to rollback my driver (As my ATI display card driver is the latest one - Catalyst 7.2), but the windows crashed. Then I make a clean install of windows XP then insert the Catalyst 7.2 again but the game still crash ... :)

Finally I rollback the driver to 7.1, the game is not crash anymore. So I suspect the ATI Catalyst 7.2 is not compatible with UFO: Afterlight. May be I should inform ATI driver developer about this issue. :(

But I found that the performance of ATI Catalyst 7.2 is much better than 7.1's (since the game will crash after I play for a few minutes, so I am still able to do some instructions / observations before it crash).

Hope that the game will not crash anymore :D

Thanks BlueBlood

Not sure if this is a bug,but it has killed my current campaign :(

Last night,I had just mopped up another BM territory and the UFO was on its way back to base.However,as the UFO crossed the halfway line back to base I got a very alarming message across the screen,which went something like this... "your base has been lost,all crew are dead,this game is finished" .My heart skipped a beat and I started to panic! I must admit the cutscene was pretty dramatic and moving,I actually had a lump in my throat.

There are 2 possibilities here:

1: I missed the initial mission indicator that the base was under attack BEFORE I launched the BM mission (unlikely as I ALWAYS check for outstanding missions before committing to any others,and I certainly wouldnt have attacked the BM if the bloody base was being attacked,that is madness!).

2: This is a bug,and a serious one at that

I had played that campaign since 9th of Feb with about 3 crashes to DT,and then this almighty bombshell! :(

I had no other way of averting this disaster as my latest save was at the mission site itself,and not before launching.

I have had to start again,with a very heavy heart. *sniff*

If I do remember correctly you have 540 days to complete your campaign. Some of the nice modding people increased this with a mod to 5400 days so you get all the time in the world if you apply that mod.

If you could be a little bit more specific as to date and such.

It could be because you didn't start the terraforming process that you get lesser time....

If I do remember correctly you have 540 days to complete your campaign. Some of the nice modding people increased this with a mod to 5400 days so you get all the time in the world if you apply that mod.

If you could be a little bit more specific as to date and such.

It could be because you didn't start the terraforming process that you get lesser time....

(Sorry for my poor english)

Ah ? :(

You mean if I started the terraforming process, I will get more time? Or you mean if I DO NOT START the terraforming process, the gameplay time will lesser than 1.5 year ?

p.s. I have terraformed all the terrestrial I have, so I am just curious to know this.

The terraforming will take time....How long I don't precisely know.

So if you get punished by not start terraforming is any ones guess.

I guess that you won't get more time if you start the terraforming so you have the 540 days to do it all unless you mod it like I did.

Blueblood might just have PO'd the wrong kind of program code and triggered the games end....

I think it may be something else. To describe this i must use SPOILERS so be warned.

There is event in the game when beastmens attacks player main base. This event cant be avoided and player must defend his base. So first important thing is to check if you dont have mission mark on your base. But several players on official forums announced that they dont see any mark on base and in a while lost the game. If something like this happened to you blueblood i suggest go to official forum and ask for some help. Lynx - our supporter - may help you.

I had the base attack happen twice. Fortunately I had my soldiers at home at both occasions.

You're right that it is hard to see the mission icon/pin if you are looking straight at the base. So if you don't pay attention to the message bar down the bottom then you can loose the game.

Cheers guys.

It is somewhat comforting to know that this may be a recognized problem.I personally think it is disgusting in the extreme,to punish a player just because he/she postponed the TF til a later time,which is what I was doing,and was happy doing,so I could concentrate my efforts on other areas :(

Sorry Gringo,no dates im afraid,but I believe it was around 25 - 27th Jul.

Cheers guys.

It is somewhat comforting to know that this may be a recognized problem.I personally think it is disgusting in the extreme,to punish a player just because he/she postponed the TF til a later time,which is what I was doing,and was happy doing,so I could concentrate my efforts on other areas :(

Sorry Gringo,no dates im afraid,but I believe it was around 25 - 27th Jul.

Your problem isnt from not starting terraformation. Only thing which you must do with terraformation is to have it around 80% (or so) until end of game, which occurs after one and half year (more with some modds), but thats all.

This thing you describes must definitelly be from attack on your main base.

Trpaslik.

The only indication I got that the base was under attack was when I was returning from a mission,not before.I mean,I would NEVER commit to a mission if the base was under an attack,it is imperative that the base survives at all cost!.

I will check the official forum as you suggested.

Thanks anyhow.