planning on restarting, need some tipps

schokomax

well, im planning to restart my game to do better this time (especially with the training of my soldiers and scientists as it was rather chaotic cause i didnt know what training options would come next)

up to now i didnt have any trouble dealing with my enemies (i got a "special" shipment of certain weapons from certain allies in orit of a certain planet far away :( )

this and some heavy armor would take care of most of my trouble, (im still dealing with beastmen and robots mostly right now, the expedition just arrived)

i played on normal difficulty, so my question is, should i increase the difficulty? what happens on an increased difficulty level (strategic/tactical) i guess strategic would increase the production costs of components and or research times, which is not really that intresting

what about tactical, will it place more enemies or will it boost their stats/equipment?

i heard many complainthat the game will turn out very difficult, i consider myself very experienced in squad based rts (played everything from enemy unknown via silent storm and JA to AM / AS, with Apocalypse still being the best game in the genre) but i still had difficulties dealing with AS on higher difficulties

will i have to bail here too at some point in higher difficulties cause the game gets unbeatable?

And lastly: how to use these damn scanners?

in AS they workjed very well, i made a scan and could instantly find the positions of my enemies within a large area around the detector (as long as they were moving, for the doppler scanner for example)

here i have 2 different scanners (metal detector and some movement detector) but they seem to have no effect whenever i use them, do i need pecial training? the character using them had outstanding scouting, all i get is some strange sound but nothing is revealed

well,

Until I've worked through it I'm not sure I'd restart until it does start to get increasingly difficult and I've got a much better grip on the research tree. There are some anomolies I've identifed so far (For example, none of my soldiers can throw grenades yet and I haven't figured out how to use the metal and motion detectors in the tactical map) but I'm guessing I need to direct my research better until I start being able to train my soldiers in major suit wearing or something like that.

Anyone figured out how you use the medi-kit or suit repair kit in the tactical map?

finally, the game crashed last night trying to load one mission (took several minutes before it crashed) due to "insufficent memory". Definate memory leak there that needs fixing :(

throwing granades can be performed without special training, at least it works for me (the accuracy of the granades is determined by the "physical" skill iirc) - just click the attack button whit the granade in hand (aiming directly at the opponent should throw it as a default action)

"using" the detection items also does not require special training

lace the item in question in your right hand (i.e. the hand on the left as youre looking at the soldiers fron the front) and then hit the "use" button, after a short amout of time a sound is heard (similar to a geiger device) but then my problems start, the scanning yields no results, i used it about 10 times and it wasnt able to detect anything i didnt see already

using medkits / repair kits is also working - but here you need special training

medkit - you need minor medical training (only available to scientists, i.e. only the soldier/scientist character can use it, for example tadeusz), you need the medkit device (fortgot the name) and "ammunition", the ammuniton can be either the healing charges or some drugs which you cn manufacture after some research -- the bug here is, that if your storage contains both drugs and healing charges, per deafault equiping a medkit automatically loads it with a drug instead of a healing charge)

in the tactical game, equiping the medkit into the right hand enables you to heal a character per default action (works on enemy too, important fgor capture missions)

for repairing suits / drones you need the following: the toolkit, the appropriate "ammunition" (suit repair and drone repair charges respectively)and the appropriate training (minor suit manipulation and minor automaton or sth like that)

the use in combat is the same as for the mdkit

Yeah figured it out in the end, you have to "swap" to the grenades if you are holding another weapon. D'Oh!

Thanks for the tips with the other stuff too, didn't realise they could only be operated by the duel class characters. Think I might need to turn on the hints in the game, it's not quite as intuitive as Altar make out it is :(

• 1 month later...

Personally when I restarted recently, my number one goal was Gatling Technology.

In my previous game, I just found them to be so useful since they seemed to have little "aiming" time, and those 10 shots they cranked out in very short order. I would use a squad of men in middleweight armor with 2 snipers, 2 gatling guns, 2 pistols and one EM gun with most everyone having one kind of anatomy or another.

Other tech I try to get soon is the upgraded engines - those trucks just seem to CREEP across the landscape!

Also, give some thought on who you want your allies (if any) to be. If you plan on killing off the expeditionary force (like I plan on this restart), I dont use the reticulans in my team since they would eat up experience a human would be getting. This does short me on Psi Power, but I didnt seem to have a big problem with it last game.

Also give some thought to which mods, if any, you want to use. I used a few this last go round and it sure has changed things as far as feel of the game goes.

Best of luck on your restart.