Discuss your current :AL campaign here

I just thought I would create a space for us to discuss our current campaigns,detailing things like major events,people management ideas,tactics ect,you get the idea :(

In my game I just had an interesting chat with the Reticulan diplomat,who offered me a couple of Ret armours for a measly 3 rifles,I thought thats a good deal and let him have them.I dont know if I should be attacking them as I have formed a mutual bond with the little fellows.I DO like the diplomacy element much more in this game as you get the chance to do trade ect.

Tactical missions have certainly got a bit easier now I have added some armour plating into the suits.The BM still persist in a wave like assault,with flanking moves now and then.Their firepower however is still a major threat,as is their numbers.What I tend to do is establish a front line or base of attack,and use my scout to lure them in,where they are easily picked off as they enter the killing zone,and my rocketman (normally Harald) also lends area-effect support.

If you control ALL entrances into your position you should have no problems with flanking attacks,unless the enemy is VERY fast or strong,in which case you will be easily overrun (hasnt happened to me yet).

Here is another chapter from my current game (seen as I am the only one bothered ) :(

Having just done another difficult mission against the BM (numbers mainly) I was resigned to the grim fact that I am going to lose people,after all this is a natural commodity of war!.Personally speaking I am not fond of reloading all the time just to preserve those immortal squaddies.My first casualty here was Oliver (in over approx 50 missions) one of my main soldiers,who had his suit completely shredded.

We got back to the base and Samantha (his wife) was notified of the terrible news,and she has vowed to destroy as many BM as she can!...and she will :) .Playing the game this way also helps to create more depth and atmosphere and certainly makes you think more seriously about your decisions.

Earth has been contacted and will send reinforcements as soon as they can.

Here I will post 2 shots from that mission.

This first one shows my first encounter with a new enemy,'spiders' (how appropriate).My squad held a good defensive position in the rocky formation as they eliminated the enemy.I especially like the damage effect done to the suits (I barely noticed it in the heat of things).

https://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...16155634fr6.jpg

Here we laid a memorial to Oliver in the North Pole.Make no mistake,he WILL be avenged!! :D

https://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...16162653hi5.jpg

My next move in this game is to accept the fact that the enemy is still very strong and I shall consolidate my territory,which IS fairly vast after all is said.We control enough fuel and metals to maintain our position and defeat sporadic attacks from the enemy.Terraforming this hostile planet is the least on our mind,as we strive for better protection and firepower first.The terraforming process could take years for all I know,in real life it would,so whats the rush :(

I am still enjoying the game,however my only gripe is with the camera which can be annoying at times,as it jumps up and down trying to orientate itself on elevated areas,and sometimes seems to have a mind of its own.And guess what?,the game has not crashed once!.

For this my score is now:

8.5/10

Well the rush to get the terraforming up and running the the hostile enviroment of Mars itself. There just are some missions that no human will be able to complete at it's own pace due to inefficient enviromental protection.

I prioritized territory expansion/resource gathering and weapons too when I started playing nerfing terraforming.

That was until I realized how few missions I could complete due to enviromental hostility so I fired up those terraforming machines and spread them out all over the lands.

Dont get me wrong CG I understand what you mean about the terraforming process,but me personally I am prioritising protection and firepower for my troops,the terraforming can wait a few years :D

Think of it this way,what good is it being able to breathe the clean Earth like air and take a dip in a river when around every corner you are getting raped by Beastmen?! :( damn I hate them now.

You mentioned the limitations of the suits ect to the environment,this is true,but with heavy suits I am able to absorb an environment rating of 6,which at the MOMENT encompasses a large portion of the known planet (for me).

I havent expanded TOO far yet,just enough to bring an average amount of resources in.Problem is I am in a major war with the BM,and ammo,medical supplies,armour/weapons research is taking up all my time up at the moment.

Ultimately,I think we are both right in our approaches :(

You're right about protection as I found out last night when the Beastmen decided to step it up yet another notch with bigger guns and better armor.

Some Matriach (heavily projectile resistance) just waltzed right up till my squad until a critical shot send him flying back to his advancing buddies as I only was armed with projectile weaponry (Beastmen guns primarily).

Then when the Beastmen brought their big guns to bear on my troops they shredded right through their puny Transport Suits taking out three members...(ALT+F4 for a quick shutdown and a major rethink until today).

recently i decided to goto war with the reticulans after a couple weeks of inital contact with them. I managed to squeeze out a few trades before we went to war. I've only played one mission so far against them and it was awesome. The only problem is that I lost my original alien soliders that I got from the inital treaty, but I guess I will have to hope to get some later, because I have some cool weapons only the retic's can use from these battles =). Anyone else declare war on the reticulans yet?

BTW: I have the ability to use heavy suits, but I have a lot of terratransformation going on too so I don't really need them yet. Do they sacrafice maneuverability for defense? At this stage I'm not really worried about taking too many hits, because my men are pretty well trained and if they get hurt bad I have a medic. The only things that scare me are Reticulan rocket launchers =O

recently i decided to goto war with the reticulans after a couple weeks of inital contact with them. I managed to squeeze out a few trades before we went to war. I've only played one mission so far against them and it was awesome. The only problem is that I lost my original alien soliders that I got from the inital treaty, but I guess I will have to hope to get some later, because I have some cool weapons only the retic's can use from these battles =). Anyone else declare war on the reticulans yet?

BTW: I have the ability to use heavy suits, but I have a lot of terratransformation going on too so I don't really need them yet. Do they sacrafice maneuverability for defense? At this stage I'm not really worried about taking too many hits, because my men are pretty well trained and if they get hurt bad I have a medic. The only things that scare me are Reticulan rocket launchers =O

Ihaven't personally but I need some crystals to build some of my own laser rifles and they won't trade. Wondering if I could nick one of their territories and then sue for pece again.

Just made the shotgun as well. Put it in the hands of someone who and run with good dodge skills and it's lethal!

One question. Does everyon else find that the enemys - specially beastmen - always invade to take over the q-gates or whatever they are called?

bit of a give away I'm guessing?

There are lots of these gates/portals through out the surface of Mars. And since they appeared near one they might have occupied all of them when they first arrived. I have tried to take them out when I encountered them to limit beastmen presence on Mars.

Slightly off topic,but anyone having real problems against BM (this goes mainly to you CG) remember this,ALWAYS concentrate maximum force on the smallest area,ie,all your firepower on a single target,then rapidly rotate through the enemy formation.Sure you will still take damage,but its more reliable than spreading your Firepower too thin.Dont forget to bring drugs ect for the battle,they help a lot :(

Slightly off topic,but anyone having real problems against BM (this goes mainly to you CG) remember this,ALWAYS concentrate maximum force on the smallest area,ie,all your firepower on a single target,then rapidly rotate through the enemy formation.Sure you will still take damage,but its more reliable than spreading your Firepower too thin.Dont forget to bring drugs ect for the battle,they help a lot :(

Know your enemies weaknesses and they shall fall before you like you cut through butter.

With my recent speedy research/production of nastier implements of destruction and armor I am in the lead again against the Beastmen. Matriachs now falls to a dual laser cannon volley and with the gatling guns been succesfully field tested against an incursion of Reticulan Rebels into my territory.

On an entirely different point I have noticed that highpowered weapons (shotguns/sniper rifles/laser cannons) gets a knockdown effect when you hit them the first time....

sounds like you guys are pretty far ahead of me. I just had another epic battle with the reticulans last night and it was awesome. One thing that I need to research before I attack again is probably hand grenades or something and I suggest you do too. The reticulans will camp in one entrance buildings (hard to get into) with rocket launchers/psi weapons and stun your guys through the walls. It's a b*tch.

duezeone.

Grenades are a must yes,especially true if you go on a mission without a rocket launcher or other area effect weapon.What I normally do is issue everyone 2 attack grenades and 2 defence grenades,the latter when defending a position,the former when assaulting bases ect.

By the way,dont worry about who is in front of who,or who is more experienced than who,remember one thing,you are going to be on Mars for a long time.The same can be said about the fear of time too,say you feel pressured to get research done.As long as you have a game strategy and you conduct it methodically and focused you will still win all the same.

I developed the heavy suits today and I have to say... I don't like them at all. You can't run or crouch or anything in them and that's my favorite part of the tactical game: setting up good positions against the enemy. I decided to switch back to the larger backpack suits and I just got the light armor upgrade (should have gotten it earlier =p).

I seem to be lacking in the tech department. Battles are still mediocre though. I have 4 reticulan territories in site with the main base available for attack as well! I am going to have to write an update for that one when I decide to go for it. It won't be for awhile though because I am going to go after some more materials first.

Well,not a great deal has changed in my current campaign.I am still in a major war with those stinking Beastmen and managing to hold onto my territories (just).Research is going at a steady pace and I am currently researching Beastmen plastics in the hope that this can somehow be implemented into our armour.Production is very good and I am maintaining a constant flow of rifles for my allies the Rets in return for some of their goods.I have also increased my metal production to 4 as I prepare my factories for the first batch of sniper rifles,which I desperately need!.

One major change has however just occured for me,and was a bit of a shock to be honest as a rebel force of Rets occupied 2 of my lands.This cannot be tolerated at any cost and I am about to conduct my first retaliatory mission against them :( .

https://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...18223125wj4.jpg

holy sh*t that image is sick. looks like some upgraded armor with a psi weapon.

Has anyone come across rollers? How the f*** do you kill those? The only idea I have come up with is to use the warp gun, but do projectiles work better against them or what? I am using strictly lasers rifles and reticulan rocket launchers right now. The warp gun is pretty rediculous though; it is like a lvl up weapon. My guy did 3k dmg total one game and got like 800 exp hah. It's kinda lame so I stopped using it until I came across the rollers one battle and spent like 10 minutes running around in circles while my other guys shot it for 8 dmg each hit =\.

I think I am going to start using more drones; I have one in my squad right now, but I think it would be a good idea to free up scientists (healers) that I use. I am about to manufacture the laser rifle for my drone and I will probably research the upgrade for the dual weapon turrets soon (which will be sick). I feel like I have gone a completely different tech path than you guys. I don't even have shotties/grenades/sniper rifles; most of my research has gone into armors, planetology, autopsy, and medicine. I am going through the beginning stages of autopsy and interrogation right now so hopefully this will yield some cool results with alien weapons and other things.

P.S. This game has become an addiction.

Well things are definitely hotting up in my current campaign.After enjoying a temporary lull in the fighting from the EF they have again attacked one of my lands,and I have no option but to defend them again.I will suspend my advance into further BM territory while I concentrate all my efforts on defending against possible Reticulan incursion (which they havent done yet),and the aggressive EF.

I am now in the process of mobilising my force to defend the following area (below) just south of the pole.

https://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...20165620ab9.jpg

The EF have still only managed to capture 2 of my lands,and I will do everything possible to keep it that way.I am confident this time my war against the EF will not be as dangerous this time,due to the fact that I have cranked everyones willpower higher,some are even on supernatural levels.Its now time to fight the EF on more even terms this time.

I have also just managed to capture the following area (below) which will provide me with more metals,so that I can produce my first batch of sniper rifles.These will be critical for eliminating MCUs with confidence.

https://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...20165701ho7.jpg

Then I plan to thrust further south and invade the following area (below),eventually enveloping the BM and compressing them from the north,in a classic pincer move.Then the remaining land should be free for further expansion into the southern areas of the planet.

https://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...20165713xg9.jpg

The terraforming process has still not started yet as I concentrate on other areas first.

Dont forget to post YOUR campaign stories too,I like reading them :(

*Warning* may spoil your game... =p

Current game date around Jun 20.

I have completed around 3-4 excavation site underground missions now and I just met the martians; I guess I should tech up so I can negotiate with them, huh? I am able to attack them, but I don't need another enemy right now.

My hands are full with upgraded beastmen. The attacks are more often now, and the missions are a lot harder. The Chief Beastmen Soldiers seem to go for my alien soldiers like he beat his mother or something. I've had one alien soldier die in these missions, but no other casualities lately (besides drones). I should be upgrading my drones turrets/weapons pretty soon, but I have noticed that they arent that useful at this stage in the game so maybe I will stick with a regular non-robotic party. My other alien soldier is training for major psionic weapons right now so I will be able to use the mind controller soon (muahhahaha).

I will be getting my fourth metal mine pretty soon, but because of the Beastmen attacks it was delayed a bit. This will allow me to produce the sniper rifle, advanced foundry, katana, and some other stuff...? heh. I have found knives to be pretty useful in a last resort situation and had an awesome mission where they came in use, which was very entertaining, so getting the katana will be sweet.

I am specializing my scientists with their training (which is going well) and I am trying to focus on earth techs for now (that's where most of my scientists have training in) while queing in some more important techs along the way.

The trading with the expedition is frickn' weak. When I was allied with the reticulans I was offered the upgraded suits for my aliens, but when I broke the treaty the aliens soldiers ran away with them. So now I am constantly trying to trade equipment with them to get an offer for it but I have yet to recieve it. I plan to wipe these guys out after I wipe out the reticulans, which should be soon because I only see about 3-4 reticulan territories left. Speaking of the reticulans, I successfully tookover their base (main base?). This supplied me with advanced information about their technology, but I have yet to go into depth with my scientists because I am simply not focusing there right now.

managed to get allied with the expedition......got adv.ret. tech afterwards automatically.

received the "volunteer" from earth already.......so now i can attack the beastman frotress and end the game......but i donot want to do that since i donot have south pole yet (north pole is flooded)

cannot trade armor from trading with expeditions, nor from martians (have to save those martians in order to get them in team though.......).....wonder if it is a bug or something.

and please do research that adv.ret.tech cause you can then build a nuclear reactor in you base to boost energy level to 7.

duezeone.

Nice report there,keep it up.

My campaign is progressing at a slow but intended pace,as I mount up the pressure on the BM,who only have 2 VISIBLE territories left.

I am currently securing my western borders with radar,which resides next to both the RF and EF,this way I can concentrate all my efforts on the southeastern front where the BM lie.I have managed to conduct a deep southern thrust through RF and BM territory (which was neutral at the time),dissecting the two,and leaving the BM open to envelopment,which I plan to do next.The BM WILL be destroyed soon.

Research is currently focused on Earth tech,so that I can get my troops up to scratch with traditional methods of war,and then focus on advanced tech later,as and when needed.I have just researched long range rockets,in the hope that they will further secure my weak western flank.

I am producing vast amounts of ammo,medical supplies,and explosives in order to keep my war with the BM going.I am trying to raise my chemical production to 4 so that I can manufacture some new armour based around BM plastics.Metals is also being increased for the production of some new sniper rifles,yet for some reason my metal levels remain at 3 even though I just captured a metal rich territory from the BM and built a mine there (confused).

FUTURE PLANS:

I plan to eradicate the BM soon,then drive southwest into RF territory,where I hope to win a plea for mercy from them,if not then they will be removed from the planet.There I plan to fix my border against the EF and see what happens after that.If they still maintain an aggressive stance towards me then I will drive deep into their lands until a truce is called.From then on I hope to limit Martian expansion by encircling their small cluster of lands to the southeast.

After fixing my borders even further I will then plan to upgrade all my troops/facilities with advanced tech,then finally start the terraforming process.This has been delayed intentionally in order that I can concentrate on other critical areas,like weapons and protection.

*signing off*

resource level seems to work on

1=1 limited

2=2

4=3

8=4 adequate

type arrangement

i think the next breakpoint is

12=5, but i might be wrong.

i think

21=7 abundant

which seems to indicate

16=6

now you may be thinking how the heck do i get over 20 units of resource?

mostly, you'll have to use a late reticulan tech let you upgrade mine efficiency to double.

I haven't got far but i've had one interesting deal with rets: they offered 1 crystal for 3 rifles and 5 magazines.

No need to say that i accepted :(

LOL, wish they would do that for me :( I'm trying to get the expedition (Who I am allied with) to give me some of their battle suits but to no avail :)

Mind you they did ask for 1 fuel for 1 laser rifle and 10 clips for it last night. Like, I don't think so...... :D

So far I have managed to hold the BM's back by pushing them out of my territory and taking out their gates. I now have about 2 thirds of the northern hemisphere and my terraforming stations have made the globe a nice greeny hue for large parts around my territory. I have just built my second lab and production facility and now my technology is on par with the BM'S (shotgun rules at close combat). I have not gone to war with the reticulans yet, want to make my own weaponry more powerful. Overall I am a little worried as the martians have awoken but havent done anything yet, and I need to upgrade my weaponry quickly to meet them.