UFO:AL first impressions

Well guys,after just reading the manual and ploughing through tonnes of on screen info I just finished my first mission in UFO:AL,and to be frank,its bloody great! All my previous fears seem vanquished (for now) and I look forward to really getting into this story,having had to prematurely retire from UFO:AS due to the bugs ect.

The graphics are lovely,the colours dont look as bad as I initially imagined,in fact they go quite well with the martian landscape.I also like the dust-like effect in the distance giving it a real arid look.Most important though is the performance,and it runs very smoothly,the camera also appears to work very well this time.Sound wise?,not too sure at this early stage,but the guns and ambient effects all sound as though they should sound for me,and the music is relevant for the game.

The first mission involved only 4 walking robots which I easily dispatched,yet I have a feeling this game is going to get very tough pretty soon.

The interface is also VERY polished,with easy access to all relevant screens,and the new trash can element is a godsend for all your obsolete equipment (later on of course).

I think the developers realised their past errors and did us proud this time.

Current score - 9/10

Gringo,I will see you in the canteen mate on Mars,to discuss tactics and a new screenshots section.Everyone else,get your arses up here! :(

Thats unfortunate.

Actually I had a similar issue myself this morning.I ordered my copy at GAME last week,and so I hopped down to their store this morning for my copy only to be told by this kid "we had our delivery but no UFO:AL",in fact he had never even heard of it!.So I went to HMV and got it from there instead.I was even more surprised to see it was only £24.99 as opposed to the usual price of PC games at £29.99.

Anyway just for the record,I have just had my 3rd battle in the game,and I was right earlier about the increase in difficulty,in numbers at least.Twice I have had my water supply attacked now!.I was assaulted by a constant wave of about 10 robots.I held my front line against them and conducted an ordered retreat to a more suitable spot,behind a tiny rock about 4ft high :( .Well,it worked and now my team are back home again.

Problem I am having with the game and no doubt others may be,is the people managment aspect of the game,trying to balance everything out.This is GOOD mind you,just takes a lot of thought.I may start again after studying the manual again.

I have to say the lighting effects are amazing,especially at night as a stream of electricity from a robot shoots past.

Night.

Good for you Slaughter,i'm sure you will enjoy it,it seems to have everything we wanted it to have,and possibly more :(

By the way,it hasnt crashed once yet for me,and not even STARTED to slow down or stutter in frame rate!.I do erm have quite a beefy system I built mind you :(

See you.

It looks like I'll have to pick this game up at a later date, after a PC upgrade. My current PC was barely enough to get Aftershock to crawl, I see it giving up the ghost were I to try it with Afterlight! Curse bleeding edge technology! Or more to the point - curse the poor health of my wallet!

I do hope they've added something to break up the monotony of the missions. Let us know how the missions go once you've gone through a few critical points in the game.

- NKF

Well I have played only 3 or so missions so far (I know its not a lot) and they seem varied enough,albeit with the same martian landscape of course.So at this early stage I dont suspect there is any reason for the developers to ruin a good game by making the missions become boring (as with :AS).

I still maintain a 9/10 score...so far.