Need help with Interceptor

Zombie

Hi everyone. I recently installed Interceptor and really like playing it. Cool stuff. Anyhow, during installation a sequence of screens come up with the different types of aliens in the game. (To see what I mean, look at pics 2-7 in the "Unknown" category on our Fan Art page).

Here's the question: I'd like to rip them out of the game files somehow if that is possible. Basically, I want to check to see if the dimensions of the pic in-game are bigger than the ones we have here. If that is the case, then I'll update the pics and move them to the Interceptor part of the site. So, can this be done? I'd hate to do 6 installs and take 6 separate screencaps if they can be ripped from the files somehow. :)

- Zombie

ResHack only opens Win32 executables. The setup files are not executables, hence no dice. I did manage to pull the installation pic off the autorun executable though, that was nice. Any other ideas? The only thing beyond this is to do a manual printscreen. :(

- Zombie

If the setup files aren't executables, they might be normal archives (ZIP or CAB). Try opening them in something like WinRar.

There are 3 compressed .CAB (cabinet) files. Can't open any of them with WinRar. It appears that native Windows XP systems come with functionality to open these types of files but once you install WinRar, all bets are off. See this page, a guy had the same problems.

If that doesn't help, what type of installation program is being used here? InstallShield?

Yup, InstallShield is the one.

Here's a screenshot of the disc contents if it helps any:

Contnets.png

- Zombie

Well, I disabled CAB compression in WinRar and when I try to open the files they are empty. (No listed files or folders). Not really sure what is in them, but I doubt the pics are.

The resource folder contains .DLL files: COCKPITA, B and C.DLL, COCKPITMISC.DLL, SPRITESDLL, WRAPPERSDLL and XOBJECTS1 & 2.DLL. While glancing through them with my untrained eye, I noticed that the format appeared to have encoded images. Closer inspection of the file yielded this text: "TRUEVISION-XFILE". TrueVision is a TARGA image (Truevision Advanced Raster Graphics Adapter). So it's kinda safe to say those files have TGA graphics for the different cockpits, sprites and objects. Cool-ish I guess. :(

I think we are running out of options here. Maybe I'll do an installation marathon tomorrow. :(

- Zombie

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, only Win32 executables can be opened with ResHack. DLL files are basically a group of procedures and they are not able to run on their own. I wonder if renaming the .dll extension to .exe would work? Probably not, but it's worth a shot. :(

- Zombie

• 4 months later...
Couple of those, I'm sure I've seen before... :):)

You probably saw them on SC's Fan Art page under the "Unknown" title. I have removed the drawings from that page now since they are obviously known. :)

Thanks Knan, will give that program a twirl sometime. :)

- Zombie