Importing Textures

philip_keary

Hello AGAIN :)

Iv created a few new textures for the ground in Paint shop. I have saved them to the source folder in TGA format as specified. Then i goto textures on the right hand tab. I right click and select "new item".

Then a prev post syas to ...

3. Click "srcname" and locate your TGA file

4. Select image type (dropdown box) *

5. Select format (dropdown) #

6. Right-click on the new texture (left panel) and hit "export".

But i dont see a screen name box?

I have only ...

AI Materials

RPG Armour ID

Colour

proximity

texture variants

mask variants

texture id

bump id

mask id

Any help would be great.. :)

Also when this is done will i only be able to use it as a ground texture and paint it on using the paint brush or can it be used on walls as wallpapers ? sorry for all the questions.

Many thanks

PHIL

Yehep, I'm not home and don't have the editor here but...

I think you are in the wrong place. Open Textures from the Select tabs. Then on the left side of the screen, there should be now Textures tab available. Go there and always add new items via this window... not via layer's boxes or whatever pop-up windows. These tabs on the left side of the screen are the most direct access to the database.

I think you were in the Texture layer... It's not actually include TGA-textures, but Terrain tiles (used by brushes). You need a Texture item to make a Terrain tile item (also available behind the Select tab). Link Texture item to Terrain item.

Wall textures need a Material item or something... dunremember now.

PS: About that manual what you were talking about in the map-thread. Very good idea. You seems to have much better English than I have or the orginal Russian crew had. :)

aaaaaaaaaaaah now i see you can open up all different tabs from that box. That is definatley something that shold be shown to people who are begginers.

Ok so if go into my new tab which is MATERIALS. I find the wall that i want but it wont let me drag and drop from that box. So why is that ?

AND ... what is the difference between doing that and creating a layer TAB on the right called walls and placing walls from that TAB ?

:)

Open/load by clicking the Material item in the left window. On the right side of the screen there should now be current item's Properties window. One of the slots should be a Texture slot (maybe called TextureID). Click it and select the new Texture item from the pop-up window. Linked!

You don't have to create new construction items. Just place a wall piece to the map. Check out that you have the Materials window available (from mainmenu/view/materials) on the right side of screen. There is 4 options/slots. Upper paints a one side at time and rest are like combinations. Click Material1 and select the material from the pop-up window. Now select a brush tool and paint the placed wall piece.

OK heres what i done. Please tell me if its wrong...

In the textures tab on the left i created a new item "desert2".

I went into screen name on the right hand side and found the texture that i had saved in the source folder as a TGA. I left the Type as ordinary and changed format to 565 ??? dunno if that makes a difference.

Then i right clicked on the new item and hit export. This seemed to work fine.

Now i go into the Terrain Tiles Tab on the left. I create a new item, ie "desert2"

I clicked on my new item and went into the properties on the right hand side. under texture ID i found my file called "desert2" and selected it.

Now i dont understand how to get this onto the screen ? Also when i double click on the item it doesnt show anything, just a grey box. Does this mean it hasnt worked ?

Many Thanks

Phil

post-5396-1169659157_thumb.jpg

Now i dont understand how to get this onto the screen ?

What you mean with this? On the map/terrain/ground or loading?

I have never made Terrain tiles but what I have looked the orginal textures, there is specifield Height and Widht values. Check out them and make your own TGA same size + use orginal textures properties for your own item. You can check what TGA-item orginal Terrain tile uses by clicking the TextureID.

Maybe you should also check out the orginal Terrain tiles and make your own TT-item's properties same kind.

Yep, but you need a material item. Material items are used to "paint" from the Materials window (forget Layers in this case). Like above, I recomend you to check out first the orginals. If you know what you want to do, like a floor material TGA-texture, then seek first the orginal (Construction Kit / Floor (folder) / Item / Properties / Materials / TextureID) and use it like "a model". I mean...

- Same size (Height and Widht)

- Same properties (many)

- Export

Then create a new material item, check out floors orginal materials (Construction Kit / Floor folder / Item / Properties / Materials), then link your TGA-texture into it and use/add same properties what were in the orginal.

Don't get frustrated. It should be quite easy if you just "copy" orginal's values and stuff to your new item. Nothing should not go wrong... orginals knows how to do it right. :)

Most important thing when creating TGA-textures are image's measurements (I don't know the real English (technical nerd) word but I mean image's Widht and Height). I just checked the orginal floors texture measurements and they are 64x64. This is very important, other measurements does NOT work properly for floors!

You can not chance measurements in the editor or set them. Those must be set before exporting (in a photo program, by cropping or when creating a new image). Always check out the orginal's measurements before you start making your own image. Walls got their own measurements and Terrain tiles also got their own but they are always some values what can be divided by 16. It is the "resolution" rule for computers or something.

I was wrong in previous posts at one thingy... You can find the "Materials Window" from the main menu's View / building brushes, not View / Materials, sry. It is quite self-explaining, it uses materials and they are used to paint Construction Kit items.

OK that makes a bit more sense. Actually the ground textures under materials tab comes up as size 64 x 256. Iv chnaged my file into that size and converted it to a TGA. Iv placed it in the source folder.

Then i go in, create my new item, then link the path to the source folder under screen name and export it etc. The only problem then is that it comes up automtaically as height 0 & width 0 and i dont know why.

Reading previous posts on this forum other people have had the same problem. I have downloaded the ReXtract tool to see if it will work by changing one of the originals but i cannot get this tool to work. I click on the exe file.

It pops up with a quick black box and then dissapears but nothing has happened and no skins or textures have appeared.

It appears thats i am yet again stuck awwwwww

Any ideas?

Phil

The only problem then is that it comes up automtaically as height 0 & width 0 and i dont know why.
Did you set the properties correctly? If I don't remember wrong, the formats (dxt1+others) are quite important. I remember that when I viewed orginal TGA-files (after extract) they resolution was 72. I think you should use the same on your custom image.

I haven't used res extractor for awhile and don't remember how it works properly. I used it like drag and drop the Textures.RES to program file but vs wrote this:

about how the res extractor works; open up a command window (run:cmd) and put the rextract.exe in the ss/res directory... in the cmd window go to the res directory and just type ...rextract FILE_TO_EXSTRACT.res... It puts them all right in that directory so I'd move them and keep that dir clean...
And this...
You need the graphics converter that is available in the file section for silent storm, under tools.

If you have probles to get these programs work... Sry but I can't help. I just make maps and scripts (basic shooter campaigns from the orginal stuff :)) because of very limited spare time.

Yes i set format to what the other textures are, in this case it was 8888 not dxt ? Im assuming that we are talking about creating a texture in the textures Tab ? Because i am adding a texture, i copied the properties of UK Grass from "terrain/Uk Tiles".

is that what you mean ?

However also i do not know how to set the resolution ? Can this be done in the editor or does it need to be done in Paint shop ?

Once i figure out this texture importing i will simplify it and add it to the maunal for everyone (dummies like me) to understand.

Thanks

Phil

However also i do not know how to set the resolution ? Can this be done in the editor or does it need to be done in Paint shop ?
Not in the editor. In Paint shop, yes. It is usually third quest (after Widht and Height) when creating a image.

Too bad that I haven't never made custom Terrain tiles. So, I don't know is they working for me either. I have planned to give a try... but no (lazy bastard). I have used the orginals a lot... they are for my special "doomed and polluted Schwarzt-style" terrain :).

Try to make a some other texture (maybe a floor) and use it for a new material. If you can do it then we at least know that your exporting is working ok.

ha ha "lazy bastard" just like me !

Ok i have managed to get the Res Extract working. It has opened up lots of additional files in the RES folder e.g

textures

animations

skeletons

LRtextures

buildings etc etc

so im assuming that i edit the textures if i convert from TGA by using the MMP to TGA converter in the files section. Can someone be good enough to explain how to run the conveter. Once again if i click on it nothing happens.

Thanks

Phil