Save the internet!

www.savetheinternet.com/

Even if this only seem to affect Americans I find it very interesting. Problem is, some big companies in the US want to have the internet for themselves, meaning they can control access to sites, modify your connection speed to specific sites etc based on how much you pay and so on...

Currently, it looks as if those companies are "influencing" (cough) politicians to change the law in their favor...

I don't think I can explain this very good, better if you look it up yourself. :) I recommend it for both Americans and non-americans.

/Stefan100 out

There are some frightening similarities between what the corporations are attempting to do and what is already going on in China link. People who use the internet in China are prevented from accessing the websites of foreign news services, and to start a pro-democracy blog can land you in prison. The thing is that the big internet corporations such as Google and Microsoft are the ones who are cheerfully carrying out the censorship for the Chinese government.

This proposal does not only affect Americans as USA based websites make up a significant portion of the internet. Europeans would experience poor or blocked access to American websites because the site owner cannot afford to become one of the premium customers of his ISP.

The American corporations aere spending millions of dollars to force this proposal through because they know it will be very profitable for them. This means that it will not e long before we see the same thing happening elsewhere.

I've read a lot about this...

The best I can put together is that this whole thing is ridiculous. Both sides of the Network Neutrality conflict seem to be flinging propaganda like no tomorrow. It's bad enough, that I've lost a great deal of interest in following it since this all started earlier this year.

What I can say, is that so far, every political figure that has aired support for revoking Network Neutrality has been utterly incapable of speaking a word of sense about how the internet works.

Actual Quotes from Virginian Politicians

"The internet is not a truck! It is a set of tubes"

Oh really? I dunno. Data doesn't exactly flow like water on the internet. Last I recall it's exchanged in packets, the same way trucks convey supplies. Or am I wrong?

"Internet gambling is immoral, except for lottery and horse racing."

What made this more amusing was that this little point was the only one that didn't get explained very well.

I have the video for both these quotes. As well as a version aired by John Stewart of the Daily Show. (Where he tore the whole debate apart with great prejudice.) I will see if I can find it online...