Variation on the usual poll...

Pumpkinhead

I know there have been many "which alien is the best?" type threads, but I thought I'd put a slightly different spin on it...

If an X-COM movie were made, and the Creature FX were created by, say, Stan Winston, which alien do you think would have the most terrifying screen-presence?

INT. ABANDONED FACTORY - NIGHT

The X-COM AGENT treads stealthily across the floor. Moonbeams through the shattered windows cut through the darkness. There is a NOISE to his left. He turns quickly, leveling his gun in its direction. He reaches into a vest pocket, retrieving an electro-flare. He tosses it into the darkness ahead. It hits the ground and activates, illuminating most of the room. Again there is a NOISE to his left, he turns, slowly this time, finding himself face to face with a __________.

Okay, so it's not the best scene in the world, I throught it up on the fly, but basically the idea is that you fill in the blank...

Hmmm, now I guess I'd better make my choice :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably have to say a Reaper...

https://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/images/reaper.gif

Even though I think they're the crappiest of all the aliens, they're 2.3m tall and have a mouth full of sharp teeth, so if one of them was next to me, snarling and drooling and the like, it'd scare the b'jesus outta me, that's for sure :D

Chysallid, simple because if you've got a standard rifle or laser rifle you're buggered! And if it's that close it's not only going to leap out from behind you in true horror fashion and remove an arm and then impregnate you...and there is only one course that a impegated human can take. Death.

But what I'd think wouldbe more terrify prescene was to find that the noise was actually a human, and that you say hello to them and then they make some sort of noise before finally exploding from the inside to reveal a grown Chysallid that then rips into you and then impregates you!

Ha-ha, yes ET, I think you're right. There's nothing worse than to get kick from behind. Imagine, you find that there is only a human, turn away from him to search more, and in that moment Chryssalid reaps from him just BEHIND YOUR BACK!!! Oooh, bloody mess! :crazy:

So, I also vote for Chryssalid. Its looks alone are terrifying with such claws and a mantis like appearance. Just look at its fine depictions in UFOPaedia. And if the spectators will be aware of its nasty ability to impregnate its victims before the scene described by PK, then it will be more terrifying.

And nobody mentions Ethereals. Imagine just looking to see a vague cloak, with absolutely nothing visible in it (think Ringwraith), and with the ability to make you do things that will make you wish you were dead. (So you know your life is out of your hands)

At least with other species you know it would be quick. (Exception of chryssalid, but eventually that ends)

Unless, of course, you have a high psi-rating... but what are the chances of that, eh? :D

Reapers aren't scary. All you do is go through a door and they're buggered! Chryssalids are the ultimate beast...

Remember, we're talking about a movie here, not the game... Maybe the movie Reapers would be powerful enough to smash through a doorway :D

A psycho, ravaging Reaper bursting through a doorway chashing after someone, conjures a pretty cool image in my (over-active) imagination! :D

I should have guessed that the Chryssalids would get all the votes :D No one's gonna vote for a Sectoid when they look like you could just kick 'em in the guts and they'd start crying :D

Day one has gone to...

https://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/images/chryssalid.gif

You guys seem to be missing the point of the poll however... You're thinking of the things they can do as to why they're scary, but film-goers won't know what they can do...

Let me rephrase the question:

If a movie-goer watched the (crap) scene I wrote above, which alien do you think would most scare them where the blank is? What would make them go, "Holy s***, what the f***'s that thing?"

I know it's too late to change any votes, but oh well, it's all in fun :ninja:

I'd probably say the chryssalid too. That nasty fixed grin, those shiny teeth, and the pinpoint eyes... if clowns disturb you, Chryssalids are many times worse. With their limbs and shoulder antannae spread out, they look even larger than they really are (like spiders with furry legs).

Of course, anything, given the right proportions, can intimidate. Heck, I'd be scared witless if I were assaulted by a ten foot tall silacoid (or was it celatid? Doesn't really matter if it's a giant kidney or a boiling rock)! Or, what about if you turn around and look between the legs of a giant sectopod? I'd soil my armour I will!

- NKF

I'd say reaper from a horror movie monster aspect. It's basically a 8 ft tall pitbull that can rip you limb from limb. In "real life" a reaper would be able to crash through anything short of steel reinforced concreate, go to your hiding place and swallow you whole.

I'd put a snakeman/chryssalid combo second.

This might sound a bit too radical, but if we ever have another one of these, perhaps we could vote on the cuddliest alien?

I mean, come on, which one do you think looks the most adorable? Which one would you like to have as a stuffed toy?

Serious.

On second though, I don't want to be the one responsible for scaring everyone away from this forum, never to return. :D

-NKF

Imagine a Chryssalid in a film... They'd be at least 6 foot tall as they grow when they come out of an agent. Mayb even 7 foot... Still, even a five foot alien would be scary if it had tank quality armour. Plus those claws could easily tear through any kind of armour and smash through walls. They could be anywhere and there would be no hiding. The whole descent into madness of a fellow teammate would make a great piece of cinematic magic!

Well.... It's obvious we've narrowed down two of the best terror units. :D I voted reaper, because just because a Chrysallid looks sinister... a Reaper is just plain huge. It's a giant, metal plated bipedal alien that has saliva dripping down monsterous jaws that scarcely hold in razor sharp teeth.

Don't get me wrong, a Chrysallid is scary, but that's because we KNOW it impregnates you and has another Chrysallid rip itself out of your guts. But would Average Joe know that? Only if it happened in the movie.

My vote goes Reaper... It would fit HORROR better. A Chrysallid fits SUSPENSE better, because you could have it scurry around the dark warehouse... box to box. Run up behind you... The soldier moans as a claw rips through his armor and an egg forces itself into his body, consuming everything until it becomes another one. :D

It would fit HORROR better.  A Chrysallid fits SUSPENSE better, because you could have it scurry around the dark warehouse... box to box.

And the suspense gives birth to horror. That's why Hitchcock was the king of horror - because he was the king of suspense. And X-COM fits in this manner quite perfectly. Every shot from the darkness makes us jump on the chair, every door made by a randomizer is blown away as in the last time - behind it could be SUCH a THING. In whole compliance with precepts of the mentioned above great master of closed spaces and strange noises Alfred H, our operatives are good at falling into panic, rushing around the dark corridors and ending their lives in the embraces of some exceptionally horrible creature, blowing up all his ammunition.

I'm still sticking with my clawed friends :D Nothing ever going to be more scary than a Chryssalid... Imagine seeing a reaper. So long as you've seen at least one of the jurassic park films you wouldn't be at all shocked (if you already knew you were dealing with aliens)

Now imagine a seven foot pitch black humanoid figure stalks around the corner. Two specks of light gleaming from it's pinpoint eyes and a sadistic grin plastered across it's face. Standing on two sharp clawed feet it takes a step, echoing throughout the warehouse with a dull clang. The silence of the creature as it closes on it's petrified prey just adds to the fear in their eyes. As it gets even closer it raises its arms and flexes two huge bulging pincers, snapping them shut with incredible force. As it reaches it's target they feel no breath from the creature's mouth and see no thought in it's eyes. The sheer malice and contempt this creature conveys is unequalled and as the soldiers very last thought flees them a huge clawed fist is thrust into their chest tearing through flesh and bone alike and punching directly into the stomach. The soldier lurches as an egg is implanted within their very body but marvels as their newly aquired alien genes clot their bleeding and mend their bones. All sense of pain is gone and the soldier begins to relax into their new state of being. Feeling invincible to the world the soldier feels their consciousness waver and fail as they pass into an unwaking sleep. All bodily functions cease to function including the heart lungs and brain, the body kept alive simply by the influence of the alien foetus within them. The host body becomes pale skinned at first and then turns to a deep shade of orange as alien blood begins to flow through it's veins. The limbs stiffen into a post-death state, the movements inflicted by the foetus sometimes even causing bones to fracture under the force. muscles and organs are either atrophied or consumed by the growing alien foetus which soon swells to five times it's original size. Bones are shattered and consumed to become apart of the aliens new exoskeleton and the arms and legs of the host are internally replaced by the newborn's claws and pincers. Eventually the procesas is complete and the hosts skin begins to stretch and tear. When the Chryssalid is fully developed it bursts forth from the host body and begins to function as a fully grown adult directly from birth. Left to their own devices, Chrssalids could overthrow the world in a matter of months...

Now that's scary!