North Pole Base

Stewart

In Xcom 2 your bases, as I recall float on the surface of the ocean. I think this is the explanation for why aliens begin anywhere in your base.

What about Xcom 1? They begin in the Access Lift and Hangars because the bases are subterrainian. Okay, how does a north pole base work in Xcom 1, when the aliens begin again only in the access lift and Hangars.

Guest Sasquatch

Hey guys, I was thinking, since it has never been verified what an actual alien looks like, how did Micropose think they were going to give accurate depictations of the aliens? Huh? That's dumb.

And who does those charts everyday/ A single person? How does he obtain all that data?

And where do baby sectoids come from?

1. Imagination. Nothing beats imagination. Besides, quite a lot of it is probably inspired by folkloric mythologies and by borrowing features from existing life forms that we are aware of. Apart from that, do we really know what a Bugblatter Beast of Traal 'really' looks like?

2. You get one of the office staff to do it. It's far too cerebral for your common soldier. :D Hey, you do need more staff beyond soldiers, pilots and techs. Who cleans the floor and keeps the base tidy? Who goes out and gathers all the bits and pieces from the battle? Who maintains the ships? Who goes out for coffee? Who's the local UN liaison that reports all the naughty things you've done to the UN? There's a lot of staff we frankly don't know about.

3. Baby sectoids come from cloning vats. But where did the sectoid originate as in the 'chicken and the egg' discussion -- beats me. :D

- NKF

Clearly when X-Com builds an underground base they don't just dig it out waaay down there and dig a few holes upwards for the craft to leave through. The launch tubes must be stable, otherwise the power of the Interceptors engines would reverberate through the rock colapsing most of the base! The same must be true in the poles. Besides ice may melt but it isn't water.... Or it would be ice :D

Anyway, sorry for the brief return to topic... You can ramble again now...

Sasquatch,

1. it's a game

2. it's a game

3. it's a game

If you want proper answers to those questions make a thread for them somewhere else. Not here!

Guest Sasquatch

You morons.

I was using sarcasm to show how useless it is to sit and nitpick about minor discrepencies. I'm glad I'm taken so seriously around here, though.

Ah, but it's so much more interesting to argue over little incosistencies than it is to argue about which alien is more intimidating over and over. :D

Most of the time it is indeed better to supress your disbelief and say to yourself "I don't need to know HOW it's done, that's just the way it IS." - A laser's a laser. I don't need to know where the power comes from or whether or not it's a green laser or a ruby laser. All I need to know is that it shoots laser bolts (in X-Com's case, they're more like lightning bolts) at your enemy.

At other times, some form of reasoning, even if it's not quite what the designers had in mind, does help you accept the unbelievable a bit more than blind acceptance. For example: why is it you don't get paralysed from inhaling too much smoke when you're wearing armour but you do when you're not? Your armour has air filters! In reality, it's nothing of the sort, but since that's the observed effect, that's what we assume.

Back to the topic of discussion:

One other possibility is that platform housing the interceptor is raised to the surface before the interceptor takes off.

By the way, Greenland isn't just made up of bits of ice floating on water. There is land. So you would have some stable ground for you to place your base without having to risk flooding it with water.

But a mobile ice-berg base would've really cool - pardon the pun. :D

- NKF

A mobile iceberg base? Propelled by captured aliens and nosy UN officials (who were caught poking their noses into claims of a secret organisation committing horrible crimes in the name of protecting the Earth from invasion by aliens)?

Oh, if only I dared to dream of such a wonder.....

Microprose knows nothing. They were merely the front for the real power.

Due to the cloning process, baby Sectoids do not exist.

Unless there was an error in the process, which caused ALL Sectoids to be babies, which could explain why UFO is the only game which seems to have SHORT Sectoids... https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/thinking.gif

But I heard smiley faces are for ugly kids? I'm confused.

You've heard wrong. Only ugly kids could say so.

Smilies are used to give emotional colouring to the words, if you do not know (of which I'm not sure :ninja: ), due to the soundless and visionless nature of the forums. So it is more convenient way to express emotions, rather than write long descriptions.

And if you're bothered by someone, who

sit and nitpick about minor discrepencies
then simply don't read this threads. It is so simple.

Whoa, I think I've done the moderators job. Didn't mean to interfere, sorry Vet, but I'm so filled with indignation... :D:D

• 1 year later...