Zombie's Ultimate X-COM Collection

Zombie

Also another update to my collection... sorta. As some of you may know, I don't just collect game versions but also memorabilia pertaining to X-COM. I try to limit my collection to just X-COM related things, but every once and a while I'll spring for something MicroProse related. As long as it's from the X-COM time-period that is. Well I purchased a 1997 Annual Report for Spectrum Holobyte Corporation Inc./Microprose for cheap today. Fingers crossed there's a mention of Interceptor or Apocalypse in there - otherwise it's still a somewhat rare piece of literature. smile.png

I just added scans of this to the promotional items page on the site. Enjoy! :)

By the way, I'll try and get the scans for the German MoO/UFO compilation up sometime this weekend. Been busy so I haven't had a chance to do much lately. ;)

- Zombie

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, suppose I should update you on my collection. First of all, please visit the improved Promotional Items page. I added pictures of a lot of my X-COM promo items to the page recently. Sorry for the low quality of the pics, but I'm reusing auction photos instead of taking my own. (I'm a technophobe... hate the short battery life of digital cameras these days and do not own a smartphone). I also added descriptions to some of the entries (still working on adding more, it takes time to research some of the items and/or measure them etc). By the descriptions you can get a pretty good idea of the rarity of the item and whether or not I own it. I hope you can appreciate how difficult some of these items are to acquire and the time (and money!) I put into this part of the collection. wink.png

Also, I added a bunch of new and/or recently acquired XCOM promo items to the page as well: a standee (don't own it), 2 posters, and 2 store display boxes. More is on the way, so keep checking back! smile.png

- Zombie

The miracle of rechargeable batteries tongue.png

Even super heavy duty alkaline batteries manufactured especially for cameras last but an hour or so. Forget about creating batteries for cars, start work on camera batteries first! wink.png

Ok, two new acquisitions I should mention: first is a package of 3 XCOM shirt pins. Pretty sweet if you ask me. Second is another X-COM shirt pin in the original plastic! Now I own 3 of them. banana.gif You can see them on the promo items page (see link in an earlier post). smile.png

- Zombie

• 9 months later...
Unrelated Trivia: in a visit to wikipedia I've noticed a mention to a Limited Edition for the Amiga CD32 that came with a MicroProse travel alarm clock. Did you ever come by that one? smile.png

Yup, I have that (see the Enemy Unknown game versions page). The travel alarm clock didn't actually come with the game by the way, there was a card that you had to send in and it would get mailed to you. I do not have the clock. Still looking for it on eBay though. wink.png

The MicroProse travel alarm clock has been a thorn in my side for a while now. I was always curious what it looked like, etc, but never found a pic. Today I did a little bit of searching on the net to see what I could find. A Google image search didn't bring up anything useful (but the first pic listed was a scan of the box cover art which I did - kinda rewarding to see that). However, a Google web search did bring up an Old MicroProse Catalog (in PDF format)! Navigate to page 14 to see it. smile.png

So at least I now know what it looks like and what it retailed for ($44.95 which was crazy-expensive for a cheap made-in-China piece of junk). teehee.gif

- Zombie

• 1 month later...
Nice! Is it only my impression or are promo items less numerous for the last game?

As compared to what? The original X-COM series? I'm pretty sure the new XCOM: Enemy Unknown has a lot more promo items, not to mention The Bureau which has a bunch of stuff too. There are two different t-shirts for XCOM:EU (possibly 3), a pen, plus all the stuff in the collector's edition (not sure if it's the same regionally, but the German version is chock full of goodies), a poster, etc. The Bureau has a press kit with a real hat, a notebook, pen, some more iron on patches (like 4 or 5), a keychain, some posters, a zippo lighter, and a bunch more which I forget. Daunting task. I'm just barely touching the tip of the iceberg. laugh.png

Maybe someday I'll have enough money to visit Zombies museum of X-COM

Thanks for the comment! I'll welcome anybody who wants to visit! smile.png

- Zombie

I have no inclination of writing to 2K or any game company for that matter anymore. I used to be more active on the site here and would routinely send out emails to game companies on certain matters... never got a reply from any of them (they were all written like business letters and spell checked, btw). down.gif

Suppose I could try, but I'm a realist and therefore expect my emails to be ignored. wink.png

- Zombie

@Zombie:

Check out my Promotional Items page to see the latest addition: a XCOM Dog Tag from PAX East 2014. smile.png

- Zombie

Wow, that dog tag does seem of quite decent quality, Zombie. :)

Certainly by most standards of such merchandise, where stuff tends to be pretty but rather flimsy and just for show.

::

Durability-wise, though, I would try to avoid any risk of eventual plasma etching on the field... ;)

Wow, that dog tag does seem of quite decent quality, Zombie. smile.png

Certainly by most standards of such merchandise, where stuff tends to be pretty but rather flimsy and just for show.

Yup, I was surprised the chain was actually stainless steel, that's a nice touch. I just wish the tag itself was stainless steel as well, or if they were worried that stainless might be too soft, they could have opted for titanium. It's stronger than steel but unfortunately more expensive. Still, I would pay more for a product that'll last. ;)

- Zombie

• 6 months later...

I secured it via an ex-MPS employee+collector who is cleaning house. This was recently purchased along with a boatload of other super rare X-COM and MPS items in one big lot, so keep your eyes open here as I scan them and put them up.ok.gif

The TFTD Draft Publishing Plan was made as a single "master" and then photocopies made of it and passed out to employees who attended the meeting. This is one of those photocopies. The original master is probably floating around either with Steve Goss or Stuart Whyte. I don't know for sure, just guessing. ;)

- Zombie