627 replies to this topic

#621 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:45 AM

Hi folks, just wanted to mention that I added some pics of the Apocalypse American style poster (which was folded to fit inside the big box) to the Apocalypse Promo Items page. And while I was at it, I might as well add a couple pics of a never-before-seen Apocalypse EU poster which I just received. It came from Australia damaged due to a poor quality mailing tube, but I was able to sorta fix it by pressing it. Kinda neat to still be finding old items from the original series floating around yet! Posted Image

Just a reminder: if any of you have an X-COM item (or game) you would like to sell or donate to my collection, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. Or if you know of something which I don't have yet, let me know about it here. My searches are pretty thorough, but I still miss things from time to time. Posted Image

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#622 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,674 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

Gaaaah!! The invasion of the Multiworms! Posted Image

Or so it would seem to the casual passer-by when seeing that new poster of yours, Zombie. Posted Image

As for that other rarer Apocalypse EU poster, maybe because of its size, it makes one take notice of the 'L' even more (kind of at odds with the other letters, as it seems almost as if it's the only uppercase letter of the bunch).

Glad you managed to diminish the severity of the damage suffered. The colours are great! Posted Image

#623 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:34 AM

Some more news to report on my collection! I recently acquired two more Magazine Compilation cds featuring X-COM from my favorite German seller on eBay (both are German compilations btw, so pretty rare). First up was a PowerPlay May 1995 cd which has the TFTD demo, and the other is a GameStar August 1998 cd which of course has the Interceptor demo. Neither unfortunately came with the outer sleeve so the search continues. While I was on the magazine compilations page I also fixed up the PC Accelerator cd image which was too small. Yes, the images at the bottom for XCOM:EU are still buggered in the site software, but I'll just rescan and reupload them maybe this weekend. And while going through my stack of X-COM cd's I ran across that Interactive Entertainment CD ROM episode 6 from 1994 which I haven't scanned yet, guess I'll be doing that as well (did a little bit more sleuthing on the cd and found out that Episode 6 is the September 1994 issue which makes sense due to the September date stamps on the files). ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#624 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,674 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

Looking at that magenta PowerPlay CD - Schnupperspiele?! *sractches head* Posted Image

And just look at that sweet GameStar CD illustration. I guess that's what they call drop dead gorgeous? Posted Image

Just reading the names of the games mentioned there, it's a who's who of some of the very best classic titles of the time. Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Starcraft, C&C 3, Age of Empires, Freespace...

Good stuff, Zombie. May your hunt be bountiful! Posted Image

#625 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:43 AM

So today I went through my collection again with a fine tooth comb to make sure there wasn't any magazine compilations hidden somewhere. The answer to that was no. I did run across a couple CDs titled Games 96 OVER 1000 GAME Titles by an outfit called VastNet so I thought for sure there was something X-COM related in there. My heart skipped a beat when I found a folder named UFO, but unfortunately it's a different game called U.F.O Tracker (files are date stamped 11/11/1993 so this predates UFO:EU). Apparently when I purchased this CD I was under the impression it was UFO:EU, oh well. Posted Image

While looking at all the magazine compilation CDs I saw that Ken & Brian's Favorite DemOs (correct capitalization) and thought I should take a peek to see when the disc was released. According to the date stamps, it was March 13 1997 so I adjusted the placement of the entry in the page. I don't think this is technically a magazine compilation as it came bundled inside the Conquer the Universe game compilation set from MicroProse so there isn't a true release date but March 1997 should be good enough to get an idea where it falls in the grand scheme. Oh, and since I had the window open I tried looking for the X-COM: Apocalypse demo but it wasn't present. Posted Image I somehow got the installation program to run and found a preview button in the Apocalypse text entry which turned out to be 8 images from the game. I'll see about ripping those from the CD somehow (can't find the directory where they are in though so I might need to do screen captures instead). At least I solved that little mystery.

So keep an eye on this topic in the coming weeks/month as I have some more XCOM items arriving which are really cool and/or rare, a supposed game ad for X-COM: UFO Defense (same one I found online a while back) plus there's a few items I have my eye on. Turns out my search criteria in eBay was set up incorrectly for a rather long time so now I'm in the process of securing these items. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#626 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,674 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

• Offline cataloguing: ckeck.

• Online logistics update: check.

One thing is for sure - there's no shortage of mislabeled games merchandise on sale out there and, beyond that, there's always room for obfuscation in collections where some titles take the headlines while the rest get buried in the small print. Posted Image

Then there's the sort of merchandise that never got any visibility or wasn't made public in the first place, which makes it very hard to even properly search if you can't guess the right criteria.

The truth is you've managed to dig up a heck of a lot as it is. So, seek and you shall find, Zombie! Posted Image

#627 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:34 AM

View PostThorondor, on 22 May 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

Then there's the sort of merchandise that never got any visibility or wasn't made public in the first place, which makes it very hard to even properly search if you can't guess the right criteria.

Quoted for truth. If you don't know it exists, it can be very difficult finding it. Most of the time I just rely on a combination of persistence and dumb luck. Then when you find something you also have to determine if it is authentic merchandise and not a remake. Posted Image

Just a quick update: I was on vacation this past week so nothing new arrived. I made a slight mistake on one item I purchased: the auction pics showed XCOM dog tags as gold colored when in reality they were silver (bad picture, be warned silver can look like gold in some light). So now I have a second set. Not a big deal, I can wear one of the tags now so it all worked out. :D

Picked up a bottle of a different variety of UFO beer while on vacation too:

2019-06-09 193424.jpg 2019-06-09 193443.jpg

UFO White: orange peel and coriander. Sounds odd, but it's actually quite pleasant. You can taste the orange peel which is good, but I was hoping for a little more orange kick (maybe brew it with some orange juice). That said, the coriander is the last thing to finish in the mouth so it kinda covers up the orange taste and evens things out. Interesting to say the least. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#628 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

Thy speaketh of oddities, strange sightings and sensations. That be Flavor Adventures of the UFO variety!! Posted Image

Orange peel and coriander, no less. Whatever will they think of next, eh, Zombie?

Here's a slogan for them: "A taste of alien goodness." Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users