Zombie's Ultimate X-COM Collection

Zombie

Tomorrow I'll try and get up scans of the UFO: EU PSX French version. Yes, I said French! woot.gif Don't think I mentioned buying this in this thread, but it was a great find.

If I have time, I need to polish up the code on the UFO EU Game Versions page yet. Shouldn't take too long but it'll make the thumbnails the same size.

Scans are up of the UFO:EU French PSX version! I also managed to resize some of the thumbnails at the bottom of the page, but more need to be done yet. I'm also missing scans of the UK PSX Media and back of the manual so I'll have to dig out that version and do that tomorrow (same goes for the Japanese PSX and American PSX versions). sweat.gif

I got a big package in the mail today but couldn't figure out what it was. Turns out it was the Bureau: XCOM Declassified store display box. Wow, that arrived fast! Will maybe get a pic of that up tomorrow as well.

The seller of the PC Zone Magazine + disk got back to me with a shipping total: 7.55 GBP. Expensive, but not too bad. Hasn't been shipped yet so I'm thinking it'll arrive sometime before the end of the month. :P

- Zombie

Ah, la terreur alienne! wink.png

Well, Zombie, I can't help but notice how much pinker the German Playstation version's CD appears to be. tongue.png

On another note, it also seems the German version is alone in allowing 12 year old players, while Italian, French and UK show a minimum of 15 and the American version condones an astounding 6! Not so easy to tell what the lowest required age is in the Japanese version currently featured on the page (possibly 9?).

Just goes to show how all over the place judgements were on the subject of how "horrific" an experience the game potentially provided. sarcastic.gif

Well, Zombie, I can't help but notice how much pinker the German Playstation version's CD appears to be. tongue.png

I honestly don't know why it's that pink. The color is actually purple. I think I had trouble with my scanner? Or maybe it went through one of those self-adjusting scans on startup and I had the lid open or something. Crazy thing. Really, I could use the same image for all the versions as they are identical and I might actually do that at some point to keep bloat to a minimum. ;)

On another note, it also seems the German version is alone in allowing 12 year old players, while Italian, French and UK show a minimum of 15 and the American version condones an astounding 6! Not so easy to tell what the lowest required age is in the Japanese version currently featured on the page (possibly 9?).

Just goes to show how all over the place judgements were on the subject of how "horrific" an experience the game potentially provided. sarcastic.gif

Dunno, your guess is as good as mine. If you are thinking that because there is a 9 in the lower part after the "For Japan Only" box, that is the number of memory slots a save requires. (IIRC though, 9 is for a Battlescape save and it's something like 4 or 5 for a Geoscape). Really, France and the UK took the age requirement to the extreme. The game barely has any gore at all except for the dead corpses. 6 sounds a little young, but who am I to judge? The X-Files was probably more scare-inducing and gory and you could freely watch that over here no problem. happy.png

Considering how many times aliens have "invaded" USA, I think that it's the national duty for Americans to teach their kids to shoot (aliens) first and ask questions later.

Yes, killing aliens is old hat to us seasoned vets in the USA. whistling.gif

--------------------

For some reason, the site software didn't like the kludge I used for the XCOM:EU demo as all the images were missing this evening. I re-uploaded all of them again and also re-selected them from the list and now it's good again.

I spent a little time this evening rifling through my collection trying to find the Japanese PSX version. Found that and the other PSX versions of the game as well. The Japanese PSX version is going to require a bit more scanning than just the media. There's a front cover slip, a manual, the media, the back insert, a wraparound of some sort (goes between the cellophane wrap and the jewel case) and also a registration card (found that hidden in the manual). Complete version IIRC, I think I took it out of the cello myself (crazy, I know). But I do have a spare which is completely unopened. Side note: suggested retail was 5,800 yen in 1995.

The UK TFTD PSX isn't technically just for the folks in the UK - it's also for the French and German markets. I also have another TFTD PSX version I purchased last year which is for the Dutch, Italian and Spanish markets. Thought I lost this, but found it in a place it shouldn't have been. sweat.gif So I'll try to get scans of that up tomorrow too. :)

- Zombie

Picked up a XCOM 2 poster (22x28 inches!) just now for ~$12 including shipping. Didn't think I'd run into XCOM 2 stuff yet, so it's a good find especially for the price.

Had my eye on a couple posters a while back but they ended and I didn't know if they were purchased by someone or what. Today I got a nibble as they were relisted, hurray! Picked up an XCOM:EU and The Bureau posters (both 42x60cm) for ~$4.50 each + $5 postage. Not too bad as both are from Germany. I believe these are actual posters intended for the German market, even though they are in English. (Why does Germany always get the good stuff)? :D

Anyhow, sorry I didn't get to making scans of anything. RL has been hectic and when that coincides with the last week of the month (especially August) everything is pushed to the back burners till things settle down again. Hopefully I'll get to some of it this week. ;)

- Zombie

• 1 month later...

First of all, didn't get much time to do any scanning this past week(s) - between work, appointments and general chores there wasn't much left over for me things. I just want one Sunday to kick back, relax and do absolutely nothing (except scan of course), but so far that hasn't happened. *sigh* sorry.gif

While looking at this topic earlier I was floored to see that it has 500+ replies and 60k+ views. I guess that makes sense as I've been collecting for nearly 10 years now (how time flies), but wow, thanks for the interest everyone. ok.gif

But this post is not about excuses or gloating over stats, it's about acquisitions. Hurray! First up is an XCOM:Enemy Unknown pen. It's different from the pen I already have and quite possibly has Germanic origins so it has to be pretty rare. The pocket clip has a Sectoid printed on it too. Second is an XCOM2 lanyard (official merchandise) which must have just been released somewhere. The operative word there is somewhere as it's not for sale at either 2K or the Firaxis stores. Possibly has UK origins so maybe it'll be harder to find in the States. Finally there is a double sided 53x21"(inch, 135x53cm) XCOM2+Bioshock remasterd collection Poster/Banner. Comes folded in half from the factory with holes in 2 corners for hanging from a ceiling. This is heavy and thick posterboard, not the usual paper stuff posters are printed on. Was used to promote the Bioshock remaster released on 9/13/16 and XCOM2's release to consoles on 9/6/16. I suspect this was only used in the American market and is probably pretty rare to boot. Shipping for this beast was hellishly expensive due to the fact it has to be shipped flat as the posterboard can't be rolled up to fit in a mailing tube. Still, items like this can't be found just anywhere and they will only become rarer as time goes on, and that's the type of collectables I'm after - stuff with head-turning value. yes.gif

- Zombie

It basically is, as these were eBay auctions so anyone (with an account) can bid on them. The thing I have going for me is that I check for items almost daily (and conscientiously on weekends when people have time) and my searches are pretty thorough. This means I'll probably run across a new item quicker than someone else will. Also, the reason why an average Joe would bid on an item is for wall decoration or to use it, they aren't comprehensive collectors creating a "museum". Normal people will probably get turned off by high shipping or item costs, whereas I grade the item on rarity first (one-of-a-kind rarity, difficult to acquire rarity, or run-of-the-mill general collectable), condition second, and finally figure out if the cost justifies those factors then buy. I also will get a second opinion from someone on big-ticket items just to keep me grounded. ;)

While the items I purchased are XCOM/XCOM2 and therefore newer, there is rarity involved in some of them. Take the pen: I have an XCOM:EU pen already but not this variant and have never seen this type for sale anywhere in 4 years. My theory is that this was probably only released in Germany or the EU, which would make it difficult to find here. The poster is another example: it's lots bigger than normal posters and was only used for in-store displays. Since only game stores would have one and most would probably throw it away after the release of the game, it's going to be pretty rare. Add on to this the difficulty of selling it due to shipping restrictions and/or costs and it's safe to say there aren't going to be a lot of these floating around in 5 years. tongue.png

- Zombie

Finally there is a double sided 53x21"(inch, 135x53cm) XCOM2+Bioshock remasterd collection Poster/Banner. Comes folded in half from the factory with holes in 2 corners for hanging from a ceiling. This is heavy and thick posterboard, not the usual paper stuff posters are printed on. Was used to promote the Bioshock remaster released on 9/13/16 and XCOM2's release to consoles on 9/6/16. I suspect this was only used in the American market and is probably pretty rare to boot. Shipping for this beast was hellishly expensive due to the fact it has to be shipped flat as the posterboard can't be rolled up to fit in a mailing tube. Still, items like this can't be found just anywhere and they will only become rarer as time goes on, and that's the type of collectables I'm after - stuff with head-turning value. yes.gif

I received this on Friday. Pretty surprised I got it so quick due to it's size and location (California). So yeah, it's as advertised, double sided XCOM2 section + Bioshock section next to it on one side, on the other side it's just the opposite. Basically, if you would cut the poster in half, you would have 2 identical smaller posters (26.5x21 inches) with XCOM2 on one side and Bioshock on the other. Quite neat! :)

I purchased (and received) a Declassified poster and also (from the same seller) an officially licensed sticker set containing a Declassified and Enemy Within (among other stickers like NBA2K15, EVOLVE & WW2K15) which was given out as swag at Gamescon 2015. Had my eye on the sticker set for a long time already, but couldn't muster the courage to spring for it as shipping was a little high, but I got the seller to combine shipping with the poster which saved me a bunch of $. ;)

Nothing else arrived yet, so I'll be keeping an eye out for it this week.

Another possible piece of news is that I'm looking at finally purchasing a digital camera off eBay (used but nothing broke and includes all the original accessories like battery charger, 2 batteries, case, memory card). Has a huge 14.1MP resolution which is a plus as a lot of the used cameras out there are normally 5MP or less and quite old (or damaged). This will help me to take pics of some of the larger pieces of my collection (or of the entire collection itself if I can find a space to lay it all out). ok.gif

- Zombie

Important question, Zombie: does the camera take panoramic 360º shots? tongue.png

Because it seems to me you'd have to use all available surfaces in a room - horizontal and vertical - to be able to encompass the veritable myriad of items comprised in your collection. smile.png

I imagine, though, ultimately, it's not a great idea to take a group photo like that.

Such quality items do deserve a quality camera but also to each their own time in the limelight.

What I would say is - additionally consider a proper lighting setup to capture your subjects at their best. You're collecting seriously, so why not take the steps to showcase things optimally and make them really shine when you do upload your beauties?

1598px-Light_Tent_DIY.jpg

::

Obviously, some expense is involved, but have a look at this article to get some insight and clues about available options.

360 eh? Nope, don't think this particular camera has that feature. I'm sure I could find a fish-eye lens if I really wanted to take wide angle shots. ;)

Lightboxes can be constructed rather cheaply if you can find foam board and tissue paper. Biggest cost would be the lights themselves, but you could probably find some el-cheapo ripoffs in Walmart which would get the job done. :P

Well, got my XCOM pen yesterday. No outer packaging for this item (unfortunately) but I'm not bothered by that. :)

- Zombie

Sure does (checked just now to be sure it actually worked. But it has blue ink, YUCK! puke.gif

I carry two pens with me everyday: both are BIC round stic, medium point with black ink. I used to carry the fine tip variant but found that they had a tendency to dry up too fast so I switched to medium instead. They are basically bomb proof and don't leak or explode. I carry two because I tend to use them a lot and don't want to end up without a pen in times of need. Can't tell you how many times I need a pen either for myself or someone else. Gotta have a pen to sign for all these XCOM deliveries I get too. banana.gif

Anyhow, got my camera in the mail today. I'm a happy camper to say the least. :)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...
Important question, Zombie: does the camera take panoramic 360º shots? tongue.png

Turns out, yes it does have this feature! Pretty cool, though I haven't tried it out yet. :) The camera only came with a 2gb SD card so I might upgrade to something with more capacity. Not that I need that, but it's nice to have for videos. Plus my computer has a SD slot so transferring pics to it is a snap. Not having to fumble around with cords is awesome! yes.gif

Not too much news with my collection. I was able to pick up a Mutare Ad Custodiam Patch from PAX Prime 2014 for a flat $10 (no shipping). I think I have one already from my XCOM:EU+Bureau collection, but I like to have doubles with patches. And I also finally picked up a factory sealed box of XCOM:EU Special Edition which contains the book, poster and patch for a flat $13 (no shipping). The box isn't perfect, but I don't mind a few blemishes. Tossed in an offer for a CD-ROM from circa 1994 which contains X-COM tips, I assume this is UFO:EU as TFTD came out in '95 so fingers crossed. pardon.gif

- Zombie

Not too much news with my collection. I was able to pick up a Mutare Ad Custodiam Patch from PAX Prime 2014 for a flat $10 (no shipping). I think I have one already from my XCOM:EU+Bureau collection, but I like to have doubles with patches. And I also finally picked up a factory sealed box of XCOM:EU Special Edition which contains the book, poster and patch for a flat $13 (no shipping). The box isn't perfect, but I don't mind a few blemishes.

The patch didn't come yet, it was shipped economy and should arrive on the 9th. It's from the state of Washington and the patch is thin, couldn't you just mail it normally via USPS? That would take about 4 days. Well, whatever, as long as it arrives. ;)

That XCOM: EU special edition arrived today. Gotta say, I'm really impressed. The box was in excellent condition overall, just a couple dings on the corners and nothing else. Still taped shut from the factory (not shrink wrapped though). Where it's at is the inside, it's all brand new. Incredible value! Glad I waited this long to get it! :P

- Zombie

Tossed in an offer for a CD-ROM from circa 1994 which contains X-COM tips, I assume this is UFO:EU as TFTD came out in '95 so fingers crossed. pardon.gif

My offer was declined and the seller didn't counteroffer so I sent another offer for ~$3 more and was accepted. So hurray, add another item to the collection! :)

- Zombie

Very nice these latest aquisitions, Zombie. smile.png

Your very latest win, the 1994 CD-ROM, brought again to mind how often we take conservation for granted.

I remember an article by experts in archival that stated there is actually no average lifetime for a CD or DVD, because they are not all created equal. Yet, they do all gradually degrade over time and given different manufacture processes, composition and storage environment so will they remain usable for an extended or reduced period.

Therefore, some of these veritable X-Com treasures under your care could become an irreplaceable loss if some thought is not given to their safeguard for posterity.

The moniker of Ultimate X-Com Collection is a fitting one, Zombie, and ever more so with each special addition to it. As it grows to encompass more and more unique and diverse elements, the greater the challenge will be not to overlook such invisible losses as is the case with data silently becoming irreparably inaccessible.

No doubt these are matters you have considered before, Zombie. I'm just reminding that, knowingly or not, you are at present, and increasingly, the appointed conservationist of some very rare items in X-Com history!

I am aware of limitations of the medium itself. CD's/DVD's are made from optical quality polycarbonate plastic. Headlamps in a vehicle are also made from this, and they tend to get cloudy and eventually yellow due to UV rays. I've had to polish many a headlamp in my time and it's a pain to do it by hand. I also installed Lexan (also polycarbonate) in some of the windows at work to protect against break-ins (glass shatters, Lexan does not).. This was about 10-12 years ago and now the windows facing west are yellow. Those facing North are fine. Had I known this when they were installed, I would have clear-coated them to keep the yellowing down. Anyhow, yeah, long story short. ;)

I store all my games in a dark closet. CDs are in jewel cases inside original boxes and those are in cardboard boxes. Nothing ever sees UV light. If light would get in there, the jewel cases would be the sacrificial plastic. So for the time being, it's in good hands. :P

- Zombie

I store all my games in a dark closet. CDs are in jewel cases inside original boxes and those are in cardboard boxes. Nothing ever sees UV light. If light would get in there, the jewel cases would be the sacrificial plastic. So for the time being, it's in good hands. tongue.png

::

Treasure kept well away from the all-withering Sun in the safe confines of the Z Vault. Music to my ears then, Record-Keeper Zombie! paladin.gif

I hope you did not forget about laser grid wink.png

For security? The Mythbusters proved that lasers are not a viable way to safeguard areas as they are easily defeated (aka, the beams they produce are visible). :P Infrared and motion detectors are the way to go.

Anyhow, I got that CD ROM in the mail yesterday which contained the XCOM Tips. Turns out, it was from EU. woot.gif Unfortunately, in order to fully experience this CD ROM, I'd need to install it (which I can't because it's not a 64 bit app). Might have to try installing it on my XP machine tomorrow. From what I can make out in the files, there's just a short (3 page) MS Word 6.0 document. All it has is some manufacturing profitability info. This looks like it maybe was a README from an Excel spreadsheet as it talks about charts and sheets in the doc. Just for giggles I looked at the file's properties and found the author's name: Scott Grant the Cyberwalrus and last saved by Steve Scivally. Not sure if this is the really the author though as the file is date stamped 9/14/94 while the document itself lists the created date as 5/6/94. It might be that these people just used the info from someone and created this document. (If anyone has any information regarding this file, or the author, or the spreadsheet, please let me know as I'd like to have this for the site in our downloads).

Edit: further inspection of the XCOM folder shows 15 audio files and a bunch of PCK image files. From what I can determine, someone is speaking the text on the document while the pck's are displayed. Luckily IrfanView can open/play both. Most of the images are just from the UFOPaedia but there are some of this infamous spreadsheet. One of them actually shows the whole screen which is where the money's at. It's actually a Lotus 1-2-3 Release 4 document with the file name XCOM6.WK4 and a date of 9/8/94. There are some nice bar charts as well. Possibly this was created by the folks at Interactive Entertainment (makers of the CD ROM) and based off the aforementioned Word document and Lotus spreadsheet. (Again, if anyone has more information on this, please contact me. Google searches revealed nothing).

Edit2: I also found a patches folder with the UFO 1.2 patch dated 4/12/94. Interesting to finally get a date on the patch release. read.gif

- Zombie

Oh really, Did they try to bust this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvQpcmqBtw

How could they? That is fantasy, this is reality and laser technology hasn't evolved this far yet. ;)

Anyhow, I tried to install the CD ROM on my XP machine with no luck. The error messages seem to indicate it's looking for a NT installation, but another program is asking for video and sound info. Don't think there's any way around this except maybe turning it into a video? Not familiar with creating something like this though. :P

- Zombie