#461 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:49 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 31 January 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

The tunes Ros are interested in won't show up anywhere in the folder structure, if they're there.

With a typical data disc, a single "track" is written, containing all the files and folders clumped together.

With an audio disc, multiple tracks are written, none of them containing any files - each track contains the wave-form data for a single track of music.

Many older game discs (eg PSX games) make use of a mixture of the two techniques: first a data track is written containing all the game files, and then the following tracks are written as on any audio CD. In short, you can take such a disc, stick it in a ye-olde CD player, and it'll be able to play everything but the first track (which isn't music).

Ripped copies of games are notorious for replacing the audio tracks with much shorter (or empty) versions. These compress down for easy online distribution. The practise is much less common in the modern age where pretty much anything can be thrown over the internet in next to no time.

Although Windows Explorer won't show you this extra audio content, odds are if you right click the disc there you'll get a Play option on the context menu. iTunes or whatever should be able to handle it, if you're really not sure you're looking in the right place.

I'd just like to note that autoplay will start playing the audio on the TFTD PSX disc, but the files played are the ones I mentioned in my previous post: ABOVESEQ, BELOWSEQ, FLIC, GEOSEQ & XCOMPAL. The music isn't.

I did look up STR and it seems those are PSX video files, not music.

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#462 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:49 AM

Some new additions to my collection...

Thanks to some nagging from Thorondor Posted Image, I picked up some items from the Take-Two store recently. First up was the XCOM2 Resurrection novel. I haven't read this beast yet as I was busy at work and this novel is 240 pages long, but I did glance at the first chapter and it's pretty good (aside from it being a war story). I also picked up a stainless steel mug with the Vigilo Confido logo on it. After a little sleuthing on my part, I determined it is a dual-walled mug so your hot liquids stay hot and your cold liquids, cold. Nicely constructed with a sturdy handle all for only $15.

Won a The Bureau X-Com Declassified keychain from a German eBay seller today for under $7 including shipping. Also picked up The Art Of XCOM2 from Amazon for $15 off the full $39.99 pricetag at Take-Two so I'm happy about that. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#463 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:46 AM

Is that Mug not on sale anymore? I can only see this shotglass on 2K store:

http://store.2k.com/...uctID.330055000
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#464 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

It's still for sale, just hover your pointer over Games and click on XCOM in the menu. Direct link. Hope that works, otherwise just search for XCOM and it shows up there too. Posted Image

Kinda an unrelated update: but head on over to David Ellis's website and check out the latest group of pictures from his garage arcade. Clicky. He downgraded his classic arcade collection (I'll let you read why for yourself) so some things got shifted around - including the huge 12x8 foot X-COM: Interceptor poster. Also of interest is his wall of games picture which shows all of the games he worked on, plus the MicroProse Pirates! skull and crossbones flag which (I assume) flew outside of MicroProse's Chapel Hill HQ at one time. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#465 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

Strange, I looked at ALL even, but oh well thanks. Now I will have a dillema, from what mug should I drink. My SolForce mug, my PC Master Race mug, or XCOM mug...

One thing that I hate is such expensive delivery costs. Almost 20 EUR for delivery. Eh.

#466 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 23 February 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

Now I will have a dillema, from what mug should I drink. My SolForce mug, my PC Master Race mug, or XCOM mug...

Don't know what the other mugs are made of, but I'm really impressed with the quality of the XCOM mug - should be pretty durable for everyday use seeing it's made of stainless, and the logo is only on one side so there shouldn't be much wear to it (this is assuming you are right handed, with lefties the logo will face to you). Posted Image

View Postsilencer_pl, on 23 February 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

One thing that I hate is such expensive delivery costs. Almost 20 EUR for delivery. Eh.

Shipping is dirt cheap for me: $4.99, though if you order a few items you don't get a price break on subsequent items which sucks a little (free shipping with $60 in your cart though). Doesn't look like they offer shipping to Poland from the drop down menu, how did you arrive at that figure? Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#467 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

I can see Poland perfectly ;) From the suggestion I would need to order 68,02 EUR worth of merchandise for free shipping. This is ludicrous.

Posted Image

As for the others:

1. PC Master Race Mug

2 SolForce Mug

#468 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:45 AM

Interesting, I don't see very many shipping locations in the drop-down menu. So it must be on a country-by-country basis.

Shipping is crazy expensive. Don't know why they would want to rake you over the coals for it, but meh. If you want the shotglass and mug but haven't ordered yet, drop me a PM, and maybe we could work something out. I'd imagine I could ship it to you a lot cheaper. Posted Image I want a shotglass and a couple t-shirts, so if I get your stuff with it I should get to the $60 minimum for free shipping. Posted Image Then it's just a matter of repackaging your items and ship it out.

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#469 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

Just purchased a XCOM Declassified banner which was probably used for advertising the XBox 360 version in stores. It's dimensions are a gigantic 6x3feet and has metal grommets along the edges for hanging it up. A pretty sweet find! Posted Image

Speaking of consoles, I was searching the net for X-COM: Terror From the Deep and ran across a topic called The Biggest Moments In "XCOM" History and noticed this:

Terror From the Deep was also ported to PlayStation and the now forgotten 3DO console.

Was it? I've been collecting X-COM games and memorabilia for almost a decade and never saw TFTD for 3DO. The 3DO is mentioned in the TFTD Draft Publishing Plan on page 10 where it also mentions Saturn, Ultra 64, Phillips CD-i, Mac and Amiga. I've never seen these other versions either. Amiga would seem like a possibility for TFTD, but I've never seen this either. My guess is that none of them exist. Does anyone have any clues? ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#470 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:54 AM

I think I saw screenshot from Amiga of TFTD, what stuck in my mind is that Soldiers had helmets on during terror mission. Also you are now missing big Neon sign X-COM to put on your house ;)

#471 Ros

Ros

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostZombie, on 01 February 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

I'd just like to note that autoplay will start playing the audio on the TFTD PSX disc, but the files played are the ones I mentioned in my previous post: ABOVESEQ, BELOWSEQ, FLIC, GEOSEQ & XCOMPAL. The music isn't.

I did look up STR and it seems those are PSX video files, not music.

- Zombie

Zombie,

sorry it took me so long but thanks for checking it for me. It seems that structure of TFTD PSX CD is different from that of UFO Defense. Anyway I've got the music from OpenXcom mod so I putting my plans for buying PSX version on hold. Maybe someday... when I'll figure out how to tell my wife that I've just spent 40 euro on some collectible Posted Image

#472 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:41 AM

View PostRos, on 05 March 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

Maybe someday... when I'll figure out how to tell my wife that I've just spent 40 euro on some collectible Posted Image

You might be able to pick up a copy for a lot cheaper than that. I know that I have a couple TFTD PSX games which cost me less than 20 euro, shipping was really expensive, though it may be better for you. Posted Image

View Postsilencer_pl, on 25 February 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

I think I saw screenshot from Amiga of TFTD, what stuck in my mind is that Soldiers had helmets on during terror mission. Also you are now missing big Neon sign X-COM to put on your house Posted Image

I'm keeping an eye out for an Amiga TFTD version, but it might take a while to find. Sadly, there isn't an "official" neon X-COM/XCOM sign, that would be cool. I suppose I could have one blown up, but something like that is gonna cost in the middle hundreds of dollars well into the thousands depending on how big. Neon signs are really expensive these days, that's why LEDs are taking over. Posted Image

Well, I got my Vigilo Confido green t-shirt in the mail today from the Take-Two store. Not terribly impressed with the quality of it, seems to be rather thin material and I was hoping for something along the lines of a Hanes beefy-t type of material. Oh well.

I also got my shotglass. If there's one thing I know (other than X-COM), it's glass (I deal with glassware of all types for my job everyday). The shotglass is about normal size and thickness. On the bottom was USA (I was happy to see that) as well as a number 24 and a script L. My first thought was that the L stood for Libbey, so I took a peek at their website and sure enough, I found some shotglasses with the script L on them. I'll dump a pic here.

Libbey 664130.jpg

So Libbey is a company that produces glassware. It's not the highest quality glass out there, but I've always found it to be an above-average quality for a decent price. For a somewhat identical shotglass, Libbey is selling them for $18.72/6 or $3.12 each. This is their retail. Now, a company like Take-Two which probably buys hundreds will probably get them for a lot cheaper than that (think eBay or Amazon or bulk quantity from the manufacturer). So let's say for the sake of argument, one will cost $2. Not sure how much the silk screening label would cost, but it wouldn't be any more than a dollar or two. $4 cost selling for $10 is a 2.5 markup which is a totally acceptable profit margin. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#473 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:07 AM

Purchased yet another Silver/red center Microprose Wings pin today. Not sure where this seller finds his stuff, but I'm glad he puts them on eBay. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#474 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

Perhaps he makes them... Posted Image

On the bright side - if he does, you'll be able to purchase many more. :D

#475 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:42 AM

I really doubt he has them made as the auction is always for a "used" item. Besides, MicroProse made another wings pin so it would stand to reason that they contracted with the same manufacturer to make a different type. So I'm pretty confident these are original. ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#476 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

A couple new additions to my collection will be arriving soonish (August sometime). First is a demo for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I picked this up from a seller in Australia, but have no idea if it was only released there or other places as well. I've never seen the physical demo in any form before so this is probably a little rare.

And the "second" is not really one thing, it's more of a collection than anything else. I found the Bureau: XCOM Declassified Press Kit (there are a few different variants of the kit but mine includes everything)! Not only that, but the seller included a bunch of other items to make the deal even sweeter: 2 fedora hats, 3 declassified keychains, zippo lighter, what I assume is a boxed moneyclip (I forget what was all possible when it came out), the pen and paper, a couple declassified t-shirts (yellow and black), an XCOM "notebook", a promo pen (I have the pen already, but hey, why not more?), XCOM: Enemy Unknown "t-shirts" (I only see one listed in the pictures, but there may be more underneath it), a promo game for the PS3, and the pièce de résistance: an XCOM: Enemy Within dev-only Muton figurine. Posted Image

The auction wasn't cheap by any means, but compared to other auctions with just the Press Kit, it was a good deal in that it contained so much more. Can't wait to get this. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#477 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:49 AM

For all the money your spending on this cra....collectible stuff Posted Image  you better make sure you update your renters/home insurance. I'm serious, with the amount of time and money you've spent over the years it'd be a damn shame to see it all get ruined or lost.

-NoX
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#478 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

View PostZombie, on 25 July 2016 - 03:20 AM, said:

- Zombie

One day I will visit that museum of yours.

#479 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:26 AM

I'd welcome the chance to show it off. Gimme a heads up before showing up at my front doorstep unannounced though, I'd need at least a day to get it all out of storage and arranged a bit. One of these days when I get a camera and find a decent (and safe) location to spread it all out I'll take some pics of the whole shebang so you can get an idea how big it really is. Posted Image Safe from people I'm not worried about, safe from the elements (aka Mother Nature), that I need to think about.

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#480 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:29 AM

For us, less willing to travel, you could spread all the items around and photograph them in a single photo with some serious resolution so we can get a closer look! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users