Zombie's Ultimate X-COM Collection

Zombie

I know for a fact that there are more Polish versions out there - but nobody ever posts that stuff for sale.

- Zombie

Any more information about that? I might help you look for it. I'm guessing that you are missing solo EU and TFTD, since the Powerpack I've sent you was from 1997 and solo versions were released before that.

Correct. MobyGames has a cover for the Polish version of UFO (not TFTD though) so I know they exist, it's just that the quantity of them released was small and/or nobody ever posts them on eBay. I was very fortunate that you were able to send me the UFO+TFTD Compilation and Apocalypse so if you are willing to search out and secure any versions you find, that would be most appreciated! I will reimburse you 100% for any purchases you make (including shipping). You have PayPal, right? wink.png

So you are going to be looking for UFO and TFTD for sure (normal EU type of covers). Not positive, but there might be an Interceptor Polish version out there and maybe even Enforcer and em@il (doubtful on the last two, but it doesn't hurt to check). I'm assuming that if there was a UFO+TFTD Polish powerplus compilation, that a Polish UFO powerplus exists as well as TFTD. Possibly even Interceptor. Seeing as there are a bunch of different PSX versions of EU which exist, a Polish one might too. Really, I'll take any Polish X-COMs you can find! smile.png

- Zombie

It was an Italian X-COM Chrismas at the Zombie household today! I received both the Italian UFO PSX version and an Italian Apocalypse "Legends Collection2" version. :)

The PSX version was in fairly good shape overall. Sure, the plastic clamshell was a little scuffed up, but the innards were basically brand new. The Legends Collection2 Apocalypse version was actually still in it's original shrink wrap and the box itself was only lightly squashed. I was able to carefully slit the plastic to get at the box inside, but the wrap was so brittle, old and decaying that I made the executive decision to just get rid of it. Leaving it on may cause more harm than good in the long-term. The stuff inside was spectacular except for a scratch on the back cover on the manual (it wasn't me, it came from the factory like this). Anyhow, check out the UFO Versions and the Apocalypse Versions pages for the newest entries. banana.gif

And yes, both pages are a bit wonky right now. They are pretty old and the html code is in need of a good cleaning to bring it up to snuff. One of these days... rolleyes.gif

- Zombie

Not positive, but there might be an Interceptor Polish version out there and maybe even Enforcer and em@il (doubtful on the last two,

- Zombie

The only Polish version of Interceptor is the one I've sent you, which is Just a sticker glued on the box with German voice overs and text and I felt very disapointed when I bought it, because I've already was playing pirated version, due to not being released here for ages. Got to blaim Hasbro. Enforcer was never released in Poland. I had to find pirated version to play it.

Thanks for the info silencer. So, no "official" Polish Interceptor, just the Powerplus variety? I can believe that somewhat... MicroProse didn't want to directly release a Polish specific version so they let the budget distributors do it instead. tongue.png

- Zombie

I'm assuming you already have this in your collection but do you want my original CD? I didn't see a picture of one like it anywhere on the page, figured I'd check just in case.

I've had this since '94(or close to then), it's one of the few games from then I still have around (along with Colonization & Moo2). I may still have a manual and box stashed away in my attic somewhere.

post-11784-0-86176300-1437201195_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming you already have this in your collection but do you want my original CD? I didn't see a picture of one like it anywhere on the page, figured I'd check just in case.

I've had this since '94(or close to then), it's one of the few games from then I still have around (along with Colonization & Moo2). I may still have a manual and box stashed away in my attic somewhere.

post-11784-0-86176300-1437201195_thumb.jpg

Interesting, never saw that copy before.

Strangely enough, I was going to ask Zombie if he ever saw the boxed additions of Microprose games?

Ok, so once again I can't provide a picture, or site or w.e. However, I can tap into my mind!

I was at a Best Buy In Saint Louis, MO. Bought it originally for... 29.99? (Circa 1999) It was an old boxed set, if you remember the Command & Conquer Red Alert, or perhaps the Warcraft boxed set. In other words, it was a big ass box that contained CD's. tongue.png

It contained:

Master of Orion

Master of Orion 2

X-Com UFO Defense

X-Com Terror from the Deep

Master of Magic.

5 CD set,

Any thoughts?

xcom.JPG

I'm positive this is the media for the American version. It isn't on the page because I mostly use a scanner for the images and if the CD has a very reflective/silver surface the scans don't end up looking very good. What does this have to do with the American version disc being black? At one time I just thought that I'd borrow a camera to take photos of the all media, but that never happened. Will get around to adding scans eventually. wink.png

Interesting, never saw that copy before.

Strangely enough, I was going to ask Zombie if he ever saw the boxed additions of Microprose games?

Ok, so once again I can't provide a picture, or site or w.e. However, I can tap into my mind!

I was at a Best Buy In Saint Louis, MO. Bought it originally for... 29.99? (Circa 1999) It was an old boxed set, if you remember the Command & Conquer Red Alert, or perhaps the Warcraft boxed set. In other words, it was a big ass box that contained CD's. tongue.png

It contained:

Master of Orion

Master of Orion 2

X-Com UFO Defense

X-Com Terror from the Deep

Master of Magic.

5 CD set,

Any thoughts?

Have you checked my Game Compilations page? It looks to be the Conquer The Universe version (which I have, but it's still in the shrinkwrap so I didn't want to take it out - the pics do show the discs fairly well). Only difference is this doesn't have MOO2. Does this ring any bells, or do you think it's something different? dntknw.gif I've been looking at X-COM auction listings for ages now and have a decent grasp of what is out there for compilations but I haven't seen anything "new" or different in ages. I am still missing the Best Of Microprose Strategy big box version (which contains Apocalypse, Magic the Gathering and Civilization II) - there is one up for auction right now, but it's mega-expensive ($110 range) and I'm not willing to plop down that amount of cash. Surprisingly, I believe the auction is for the German version, the UK version still eludes me. ermm.gif

- Zombie

Just purchased a TFTD PSX Spanish version! woot.gif This version is for the Spanish, Portuguese & Greek markets so it's very hard to come by. Quite the amazing find and the price wasn't out of this world either. As before, this one can't be found anywhere else on the internet (including MobyGames) and you'll see it here first! smile.png

- Zombie

Ok, I added scans of a The Bureau: XCOM Declassified sticker page and also pics of a E3 2015 XCOM2 pin to my promotional items page, check it out. The interesting thing about the pin is that it isn't magnetic (well there may be a tiny bit of force there - it's hard to tell with my big speaker magnet). All the auction listings for this pin do not give a description of the metal. Either it's stainless steel or titanium, but my guess is stainless as in my experience some grades of it are a tiny bit magnetic. Could it be titanium? Sure, but it's such a tough material to machine that it can almost be ruled out. Does anyone know for sure? dntknw.gif

- Zombie

Added some scans of a Computer Gaming World demo disk from 1997 which includes X-COM: Apocalypse to the Magazine Compilations page. CGW disks are very, very difficult to find these days for some reason, but I was able to nab this up for rather cheaply. And while I was at it, I cleaned up the page a tiny bit too. :)

- Zombie

You know... Looking at those scans and associated years I can't help myself but think that it is not even that long ago. For gaming and computers, it is ancient history though.

I need to acknowledge that the picture in the mirror aged somewhat, too.

Awesome collection. It is fun watching in what combinations X-COMs were able to be found. And how low the specs were those days.

All true SV, all true. smile.png

Here's a special treat: I just added pics of a TFTD Marketing Promo Package to the Promotional Items Page. woot.gif It's a folder containing some neat items given out to game retailers to promote the upcoming TFTD release dated Feb 17 1995. This is now a one-of-a-kind item because once the game was released the retailers would normally throw stuff like this out. Sad, but I have it! thumbsup.gif

- Zombie

Added more pics of the navy blue UFO: EU T-shirt and also the black TFTD T-shirt to the promotional items page today. Still can't believe I have 2 of each type now, that's gotta mean something. What, I don't know. tongue.png I'll be adding more pics of various items tomorrow assuming I don't get distracted by other projects around the house. sarcastic.gif

- Zombie

No progress on adding more items unfortunately. I was able to resize a few pics though so those will go up tomorrow. :)

I did want to mention however that I will be making some changes to the Promotional Items page sometime soon. Right now, it is a conglomeration of all the promo items in the series on one page with a navbar at the top to get to the area you want to visit. It served it's purpose for many years primarily because the page was rather small. However, administering the page (ie, adding images, scrolling through many lines of HTML and resizing the images to thumbnails of appropriate dimensions) is becoming a real nightmare for me and it's only going to get worse as more items get added. My idea is to keep the current page for just MPS and MPS (other) items. All the other specific game related promo items will be moved to it's own separate page (for example, all the TFTD items will be moved to a new TFTD Promo Items page under the TFTD category). The navbar at the top of the current page will then point to the specific game items. This will keep page sizes smaller and easier to manage in the future. The current page will still be quite long but it will be a lot better than it is now. So keep an eye out for a future announcement. :P

- Zombie

I was a busy guy today, but managed to get up pics of a MicroProse sweatshirt and T-Shirt on the Promotional Items page. I currently own the sweatshirt, but not the t-shirt (Quentin wanted to hang on to it because it holds special meaning to him. At least I have a pic of it though). Both are super rare, and you can read the description of each to find out why. tongue.png

Unfortunately, the site software auto-updated this weekend to a newer version and stealth-nerfed superscripts (aka depreciated them) so that they don't work anymore. So you'll be seeing numbers at the end of the table heading which are now full size. Out of spite, I'm gonna leave the page the way it is, maybe this HTML5 thing will go away eventually. (Yeah, right). wallbash.gifIf the HTML consortium wants to have text decoration in Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) from now on, then they should really go feet first and put all decoration in CSS including Bold, Italics, Underline etc and at the same time make it easier to access and edit CSS so that Joe Schmoes like myself can get back to creating content.

Anyhow, I got the UFO German PSX version in the mail today and added scans of that to the Game Versions page. woot.gif

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I was cleaning the "junk" spot in my room and happened upon a couple really dusty X-COM Interceptor posters. Still have the tubes they came in dated 6/23/08 & 7/9/08. Back then I was angry that they came rolled up instead of flat and tossed them on the side. Little did I realize that these are the only 2 Interceptor posters I have ever seen. Even better: they are double-sided. I'll try and clean these up and get a pic of them sometime. :)

- Zombie

• 2 months later...
Here's an X-COM TFTD strategy guide I didn't see in your collection.

https://www.ebay.com/...=item25aeb1fe2b

I have TA:TFTD (in fact I have all the strategy guides plus some literature you wouldn't even think of). The page is currently under development and not open to the public yet, but I'll get it out soonish. ;)

Check out my game versions page, it's at the end.

And a green cdrom version of ufo defense

https://www.ebay.com/...=item336b63c7bc

Ditto. Check out my game versions page. (I don't have the media pics up, but this is the American Version CD-ROM).

- Zombie

Another addition: an X-COM Apocalypse t-shirt! It's the same type I have on my promotional items page. As far as I know it hasn't been worn, but there are some areas on the front that are lightly faded. Apart from that, the shirt looks brand new because the graphics are clean and lettering perfect. I did find out that the shirt was possibly given away as swag during E3 1997, so this wasn't an "internal-only" release. :)

- Zombie