635 replies to this topic

#41 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

I just received the PAL PSX version of X-COM today in the mail (X-COM: Enemy Unknown). I couldn't understand why the case was so thick (about twice the thickness of a regular jewel case), but when I looked inside I found that the manual is crammed in there. No wonder. :)

A cursory glance through the files doesn't show much difference from the NTSC version. Geoscape.exe is a little bit bigger in size as is the losing sequence (MLOSE_7.STR) and XCOM.DAT. All the other files are identical. I'll have to do a little comparison in the Geo executable to see what is different there. It can't be much.

Hrm, since the games are so similar, I wonder what would happen if I create a "hybrid" of the two? Basically, take the stock PAL version and replace SLES_000.54 with SLUS_001.41 from the NTSC version. (Those are the regional identifiers). Then create a CD ROM and try to run it on a modded NTSC Playstation. If the regional identifier is spelled out in one of the executables, then obviously I'll have to edit that, but it should be doable.  :)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#42 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:11 AM

I'm not sure how well it'll work... PAL and NTSC typically use different frame rates, and NTSC doesn't have the color depth of PAL.

But I dunno how the PSX deals with that.

ePSXe should let you at least test the PAL version on your computer, if your console won't deal with it.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#43 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

An individual on the forums gave me some tips about getting around certain aspects of the Playstation's limitations (both hardware and software). I'm going to try the software fix first as it doesn't require any soldering. :)

You would think that the SLES file also tells the game to render images in the PAL format. If you replace that file with the NTSC counterpart (SLUS), it should tell the game to render in NTSC. Not sure if that's how it works, but it's worth a shot. Also, I'm just curious to see if that's what it does. :)

View PostZombie, on 18th April 2008, 5:28pm, said:

If the regional identifier is spelled out in one of the executables, then obviously I'll have to edit that, but it should be doable.
Edit: yup, an SLES or SLUS link is found in Geoscape.exe right near the beginning. That's part one. Now for more research. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#44 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:40 AM

It's been over a week, but I now have the German version of Interceptor. Unfortunately, the whole game isn't in German, it's just the cover and the documentation. Still, it's great to have another one accounted for. I also have the PSX version of Terror From The Deep now as well. That was a great buy as the disc, manual and case are all in near-mint condition. :)

I have a boxed copy of TFTD coming my way soon. This one is the Powerplus version with the white cover and colored lettering. See MobyGames to view the images. Yeah, MobyGames lists a lot of versions of the games so it'll be a while before I get them all. But like NKF mentioned a while back, it's the thrill of the chase which makes collecting interesting. I can handle the torture, but can my wallet keep up? Stay tuned to find out! :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#45 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hmm. I didn't actually know about the Gametap x-com:ufo defense download release. (bah, americans, it is ufo: enemy unknown!)

Officially from take two interactive. Hmm.

#46 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Yep, and TFTD is available on Steam, though only to people in North America currently. It seems it's all the publishers, though.

#47 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:30 AM

I took a little break from collecting to let my wallet refill, but I'm back at it again. :)

This time I purchased the X-COM Interceptor poster off eBay from a European seller. It didn't cost too much even though it was supposedly in mint condition. Ok, so it finally arrived in the mail the other day in a cardboard tube. Unfortunately, the tube was made out of thin cardboard (like paper towels or toilet tissue comes on, but thicker) so it (as well as the poster) took a beating (got crushed). I would have liked to see it mailed in a Jiffy Lite tube since those are thicker and can withstand the vigors of overseas travel, but oh well. (Sometimes I think the mail handlers purposefully break things just to pi$$ off the recipient. I mean, if it says "Do Not Bend", they bend it, if it says "Fragile: Glass", they drop it, and if it is a cardboard tube, they will use it like a baseball bat). ;)

However, an intelligent person always has a backup plan, just in case. That's right, I purchased a second poster (from the same seller). We'll see what shape that arrives in...

Anyhow, it's a great poster. It's got the giant graphic of the super 'venger on the front along with a star base, 3 UFO's and the Interceptor logo. Nice! But the back was a total surprise. Instead of a glossy white back like most posters have, this has a "short" of each X-COM game along the outside perimeter (Enemy Unknown, TFTD and Apoc) with Interceptor in the center. All have a screenshot or two and the cover art. It also has the time line down the lower half of the back. Ooooo, sweet! I'm glad I'll have a second copy as this way I can frame one showing the front and the second showing the back. :blink:

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#48 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

Hey Zombie, do you keep all your posters and X-Com goodies in display in your home? if so, would it be possible to see some pictures of all of it together some day? I'd like to see all your treasures :blink:
Posted Image

#49 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:15 AM

View PostAzrael Strife, on 10th July 2008, 10:38am, said:

Hey Zombie, do you keep all your posters and X-Com goodies in display in your home? if so, would it be possible to see some pictures of all of it together some day? I'd like to see all your treasures :blink:
Well, nothing is on display yet as the collection is basically in it's infancy stage. In fact, most of my stuff right now is  in a box. For example, I rarely need the games themselves as I just make an archived copy on my hard drive and then make a copy of that for testing. As for the strategy guides, I have 2 copies of each one: a working copy which I use for a desktop reference (usually it's in tough shape) and a second "archival" copy which is pristine and stored away. But yes, eventually I'll take a few pictures to show you guys. This collection just isn't for myself, it's for everyone, and that was my original intention: to gather all the stuff together so the X-COM community could enjoy it. I sure do. ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#50 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

*sigh* - one thing about collecting X-Com merchandise is that it sounds like you'll be able to store it a lot easier. Well, apart from the paraphernalia like the cups and toys. My toy robot collection has really taken its toll on my limited shelf space, and it's nigh impossible to keep mint unsealed box doubles (except for the ones I really treasure). But oh well, we have to make sacrifices in one way or another for our favourite pastimes. :blink:

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#51 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

It's easy for me; I collect things it data form.  :blink:

#52 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

@NKF: Time to install more shelves then. I have a picture in my head from the "40 Year Old Virgin" movie where Steve Carell's entire apartment had shelves running around it for his collection. :blink:

So I received my second Interceptor poster today and it arrived in much better condition. Not mint by any means, but close enough. I also was surprised to see that my recent purchase from the UK (Apocalypse in the white box which is 3rd on the list here) arrived. Gotta love those sealed boxes so I'm not opening this one up, I have a second used copy arriving shortly for testing purposes. ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#53 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:48 AM

Some of you may be following this thread, so I'll try to keep you updated on my progress. Quite a bit has happened since early July in terms of my collection. I am rapidly nearing completion in the TFTD section. I have all the different versions listed at MobyGames, except the DOS American version on CD-ROM. Well, I have the disc, just not the box yet. At least that version isn't too hard to find. I got lucky and was able to obtain both the diskette and CD-ROM German editions of TFTD from an eBay seller. Those are rather hard to come by, and I was dreading trying to locate them. It's interesting to note that the box and it's contents are all in German - including the warranty card and handbook. That's awesome! :blink: Received the European versions (diskette and CD-ROM) just the other day as well.

The Apocalypse area is basically covered too. I have all the versions listed at Moby, and even managed to find the "total" German "red-box" version. It should be here shortly, but overseas shipping is spotty at best. Still, a week isn't bad. I also found another version which isn't listed at Moby so that made me happy. Will keep you updated on this.

Interceptor? Yup, there have been some new additions there. You guessed it: I obtained the "total" German edition from a nice eBayer from Leipzig. I even found the German/English version. Don't know what that Netherlands box looks like, but I have a game CD which is exactly the same. The only version left is the American one. Who knew that would be so difficult? Honestly, there are a couple copies floating around, but the price is too rich, especially for an unpopular game. So much for the law of supply and demand. ;)

As for the original game in the series, UFO is going to take a little longer to get a hold of everything. See, I think that all the Amiga versions came out in both German and English. I only have a single English A1200 version right now. Bummer. On a more positive note, I finally have the English version on CD-ROM. I also purchased a version I haven't seen anywhere yet. It's not in a big box, but was distributed by Telstar Fun & Games. Cool cover, IMHO which is the primary reason why I bought it.

Anyway, as you can see, there has been some good progress made. I'll try and get some pictures up sometime soon. I have to wait a little bit to allow the straggler items to arrive from the long overseas journey.  :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#54 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:19 AM

View PostZombie, on 26th July 2008, 11:48pm, said:

I also purchased a version I haven't seen anywhere yet. It's not in a big box, but was distributed by Telstar Fun & Games. Cool cover, IMHO which is the primary reason why I bought it.
Here, I just made a few scans so you guys could see it:

Front_Cover.jpg Back_Cover.jpg Media.jpg

Sorry about that last one, discs are really hard to scan if they are shiny. At least it gives you an idea though. :blink:

So, have any of you in Europe ever seen this version before? ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#55 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

Nice!
I wonder if that green Alien was planned for X-Com or just a random monster for the cover.
Posted Image

#56 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

I haven't seen it anywhere other then on the cover/manual. My bet is it's just some "cover art" the publisher whipped up.

#57 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

Yeah. And that's kind of unfortunate really. I mean, it looks a lot scarier than some of the other terrorists in the game. The Reaper is kind of a joke with it's fur, low speed and lack of intelligence. And the pink floating jellybean? Don't even get me started. ;)

That alien might have actually turned out to be a pre-tentaculat if it were integrated into the game.  :blink:

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#58 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

Saw that monster in the UK adverts, I think. But never seen that box. Nice find!

#59 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:07 PM

Here's my collection, just because I had a digital camera handy (apologies for the crap photos, but I was rushing as the battery was dying):

UFO - Basically the version that hit the shelves after the original was released. Powerplus is basically a Microprose brand that seemd to have been implemented to just shift games at buget prices, and in the UK you'd have shelves full of these boxes as Microprose were publishing so many bloody games at the time. Literally you'd have three shelves two metres wide each packed in with various PowerPlus titles on deals like 3 for 20.

Not bad condition, but has taken some knocks over the years.

ufo.jpg

Terror from the Deep - sadly none of my boxes have survivied. My brother had the original (first one below) which got too badly damaged at some point long ago, and the second one I think I lent to a friend and never got back.

1front.jpg 2front.jpg

Interceptor - no idea where my box is for this one. Basically the same as the silver Apocalypse one below, but with an Interceptor picture on it.

Apocalypse - still have the original European (red) one below in mint condition (no idea how we managed to keep it in that good condition). Bought it as soon as the game was finally released. Second version was found in a bargain bin 6-8 years ago at 4.99 each. Have three still in shrink-wrap. Pretty sure there are no differences. I may have actually bought 4 and opened one just to check ;)

apoc_original.jpg apoc_cheap.jpg

Enforcer - I was just too slow off the mark to get a mention in the manual for this one :) Martin DeRiso was a nice guy and I got a good interview off the guys - he said it was a shame the manual had already gone to print otherwise I'd have got a mention with the likes of Cyke @ AllianceX and Byron @ X-Command (see page 27 of the manual - at least I made it into the Aftermath manual :))

Picture below shows the two editions sent to me -  one signed by the dev team in silver marker. I idiotically took this out of shrink-wrap (pretty sure they sealed it up after signing it... or maybe that was the other copy).

enforcer.jpg

Genesis/Alliance

... just kidding :)

The European X-COM Collection - okay, so the US version has three games in it and we get five :blink: We didn't get the comic strip for Alliance that I hear made it into the US version sadly, but I was more than happy to have five games for about 10 (what I paid for it way back when). Box slightly ripped on one corner, but otherwise in-tact.

collection.jpg

I did also have a disk version of UFO and TFTD for a while. Still have the disks somewhere but not the boxes.

I also have a demo version of Interceptor packaged onto a magazine cover CD with the original MEchCommander demo. A good demo release for that edition of whatever magazine it was because I had loads of fun with both games.
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#60 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for taking some pics of your games, Pete! Much appreciated. It's always fun to see someone else's collection. :)

Seems like I have most of the stuff you do. The UFO Powerplus version is coming in the mail and should arrive shortly. So should the X-COM Collection, but I have no idea if the auction came with a box or not - it was bundled with the UFO Powerplus. Oh well, guess I'll find out soon enough. Obviously, I'm never going to get my hands on signed versions of any of the X-COM games unless somebody is selling them. And I'm not even going to bother asking you about selling your signed Enforcer copy as it probably holds a ton of sentimental value alone. It would for me. :blink:

Speaking of Enforcer, I should have the German version arriving soon. Actually, make that two German versions: a normal one and another which came bundled with Edge of Chaos Independence War 2. You either gotta love those German versions or hate them, and I love them!

Just today I received a copy of the Official UK Playstation Magazine dated March 1996, Issue 4. Included is a CD which has Demos of Warhawk (I used to play the demo of this religiously before I even had a real game on the PSX), Twisted Metal and the intro from Defcon 5 and a preview video of X-COM: Enemy Unknown. Obviously, the disc is PAL so I can't play it on my non-modded PSX, but I think I can extract the STR video sequence with an application. There is a nice writeup of it on pg 97 so I took a scan of that for you guys to look at:

Mag_Desc.jpg

There is also a funny advertisement for Assault Rigs (another demo I couldn't get enough of) with some pretty women washing a pink tank (yes, you heard me: pink), and a PrePlay of Gunship 2000 (another Microprose game which advertises X-COM within the game on a billboard). I was also surprised how many times X-COM was mentioned throughout the issue. The Letters/Feedback is literally peppered with talk of this game. Guess this really shows that X-COM was a very popular game. ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users