Mind Shield

TabulaRasa

I know it's been awhile since i've been to these forums, but was playing apoc today, and raided a Marsec apartment on superhuman difficulty. After mowing down about 30 of the pathetic security guys, i went back to the base and found something called a Mind Shield in the inventory. When i right-clicked it for the Ufopedia, it came up with the Toxigun-B clip... I went exploring in the PCX files, and found it looks like the W38.pcx file. I dont know how to take a screenshot, so you'll have to take my word for it, but has this happened to anyone else?

I took it into battle, and predictably, it doesnt do anything. It gets highlighted when you click, exactly like the shield generator. I dont know if it actually works because finding phsycic aliens is difficult, and it doesnt do anything to the person's psi defense stat.

If anyone would like the saved game i can send it to you, and i havent used any saved game editors, just so everyone knows.

Not sure why, but print screen doesnt work. It pastes nothing into paint, and a bunch of empty lines into MS word. If F11 and F12 take screenshots, is there a folder somewhere where i would find them? I'm not sure if it worked though because the game didnt load or anything when i pressed it. Maybe i need to create a screenshots folder in the xcoma file or something. I tried running the origional program rather than the patch, but of course it didnt work by itself, and nothing worked in dosbox.

Alt + P takes screenshots in Apocalypse.

I've heard of the Mind Sheild, but haven't recovered one myself. It's supposed to directly boost your psi defense stat, but due to a glitch, it doesn't go down once the battle ends - Hence you can use one over the course of several battles to max all your soldiers out.

I got the impression it was a helmet. See if your units can wear it.

The mind shield was removed from the final version, but it can still spawn in some buildings. Hence why it's a little broken. It shows the next valid ufopaedia entry because its own entry has not yet been researched.

The mind shield works by adding something like 20 or maybe 30 Psi Defense points onto your existing Psi Defense stat as long as the mind probe is activated. You activate it by putting it in your hand and clicking on it. Just do it the same way you'd switch on the motion sensor.

You can see the change in your psi defense by turning on the Mind Bender control panel (in the other hand, of course!). This will be panel where you select your attacks and get an actual view of the unit's remaining psi-energy. Wait a few seconds if there has not been any change in your psi defense.

Now, here's the hitch, as long as the mind shield is left on when you end the mission, or leave the mission through the exits, that bonus to psi defense gets added to your stats forever.

Unfortunately, even with 200 psi defense, you can still succumb to one of the weaker psi attacks. I think this was stun.

As has been pointed out, there aren't that many psi aliens in the game. The worst you'll ever get will be in the first alien building and when tackling the alien bomber UFO, where there are a number of micronoids. On most other occasions, it'll only be a few psimoprhs, which can only target one soldier at a time.

It's not that great a 'cheat/feature'. Just play on as usual and make use of the alien's reluctance to use psi on androids if it's causing you too much trouble.

- NKF

Allright, the screenshot is at this site:

https://xcom-apoc.magix.net/userwebsite;jse...D969CF14493C3C9

I dont know if it will work, if it doesnt, try this one:

https://xcom-apoc.magix.net/

and click the X-COM Apocalypse link on the left.

I know the site is a little annoying, but when you put the mouse over the image, press the full screen icon on the far right of the toolbar that appears.

• 6 months later...