A cartoon?

etz

Hi all. I don't know if this has already been discussed, sorry if it has.

I'm new to the ufo series, only played aftermath a LOT and liked it but I know that many of you sigh when thinking of the good 'ol times with xcom and such - uhm actually tried a couple of dos revamps but, well :-)....

What i want to say is that basically my experience is pretty new compared to others. what I can say is that I am 34, and have played a LOT of games, preferably strategy, and have a love for tactical turn based shooters such as Fallout Tactics, Silent Storm, Jagged alliance Series, and (only, sigh) UFO Aftermath.

Well, here is my opinion: what i really enjoyed about aftermath is the noir setting, the atmosphere is just so great that when an alien appears i remember I actually used to jump on my seat. On the other hand, if i were one of these guys (even if marine or else) going on a trek waiting to meet the odd monster who can chomp your head off... I would feel very vulnerable... Simple humans (ok also aliens and such but..) made of flesh and bones going into the fray against the unknown... I just love it.

Along with music and sounds, graphics has a great play here of course, as you can imagine, but I don't mean from a technology point of view: Aftermath had dated graphics and wasn't really looking particularly good: the soldiers were little, resolution settings of scarce quality etc., But although all these drawbacks, these guys looked "real" humans, somehow bringing to life their fears, the setting and atmosphere...

So there you have explained why I don't think much of these screenshots :)

I am not saying I don't like the game, heavens! it still has to be released, and probably I will also buy it... Iit's just that the start is not looking particularly good, and fears from the past (Aftershock) take shape....

Ahhh so much potential is there but just out of reach!!! :-)

English is not my first language so sorry if my post is not clear , and the subject perhaps is a little difficult to express but... :-)

bye all and let's hope my fears are not " realistic" :D

etz

Welcome to the boards etz!

First off your english is fine. :D

There has been some thoughts about the 'cartoony' off the game post somewhere around the Afterlight part of the forum, but nothing major like a bunch of Reticulans trying to flame it and eventually try to boycot the game.

Since you love tactical turn-based shooters you have indeed come to the right part of the internet.

So look around and feel free to post any thoughts except for those that will get you banned :) .

etz - I think ALTAR are actually doing it this way because so many people complained about the graphics in the first two games :D

So many folks said Aftermath was too brown, and quite a few said Aftershock wasn't much better.

At the end of the day, I suppose if you want to sell a game you've got to go with what the majority want.

On the other hand though, if the gameplay is fantastic, will the graphics really matter? :)

I like the cartoony graphics, but then again I didn't have any attachment to the look of the previous 2 games (Aftershock looked ok and Aftermath looked awful). Regardless, they definitely seem to be abandoning the gritty, desperate vibe you were drawn to originally so I understand your disappointment.

Hmm, the gist of your post would have made for an interesting interview question.

Look on the bright side. If it plays great, the cartoony graphics will only just add to the excitement. One doesn't have to have a super realistic game in order to have a great game. I've played a few very well made games with cartoony cell-shaded graphics, and they worked very well. A bunch of PS2 games, actually - the Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter and particularly the Sly Cooper series are examples of cartoony graphics with fun gameplay that's only enhanced by their slightly cartoony look. Or hey, anyone remember Lucas Art's Full Throttle? I'm not really sure if it would've done so well if they'd gone for the super realistic look - well, I suppose it could've held up on a decent story and its great music score. But as it is, it's the combination of simple animation, music, story, etc. It all fits together.

But, you do have to admit that if you've played the last few UFO: Afterverb games, you can get a minor case of culture shock when see it make a radical break away from the norm. I mean, even Aftershock was a bit of a shock to me.

- NKF

Well, I suppose it's early days yet. Next thing you know, upon release of the game, it'll have so many shadows and odd light sources that it'll make a crime noir comic book look like a sheet of paper with ink spilt on it. I also imagine those portraits in the tactical portion of the game will show every facial tic and expression that you can possible imagine - and skin pores.

Just for the record, I'm against the animated heads. I can just see them alone pushing the game's minimum requirements through the stratosphere. Aiee.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
I just saw the gameplay trailer and was thoroughly turned off by the childish graphics. The game had no adult atmosphere and was basically like a roadrunner cartoon without the comedy. I really was hoping for a serious sci-fi game with that noire look that I enjoyed in AS and AM but the design approach they've selected pretty well rules out any interest I would have had in purchasing this title. It's not a matter of blaming anyone, clearly the developers are targeting a different market than the one I represent...at age 58, anyway.

• 1 month later...

well the facts are that neither AM nor AS had good graphics really. I almost quit AS as i first met the wargots because they look like muppets to me and completley ruined the atmosphere. If you remember the UFO series they had comic graphics too, but still the screaming of your soldiers getting ripped apart by a crysalid, the tap tap tap in the darkness and the classic midi sound made a hell of a atmosphere games today can only dream of.

Personally i hope they will F I N A L L Y provide a modding support, just a lil converter tool or plugin then we can change the shape like we want to.

I don't think a change in graphical style really justifies throwing one's toys out of the pram. There are quite a few strategic games of excellent quality that are ignored because they have bright, stylised graphics. It's a crying shame players miss out on them, but it's their fault in the first place for not being open-minded about it.

Myself, I'm not going to let a cosmetic issue stop me from enjoying a game. The graphics in AM and AS set the mood and helped the atmosphere and I admired them for that, even if they were what we might kindly call 'technically unexcellent'.

When we should be enjoying a huge range of graphical styles, instead there's a great weight behind photorealistic drab. It's a shame, but if you push for dull graphics, that's what you get. Bravo for doing something different.

It's a shame, but if you push for dull graphics, that's what you get. Bravo for doing something different.

I dont care for graphics much, they could bring in a muton band playing "ymca", as long they actually care for modability. I already have a vision of that heavy armor suit (the red and blue one looking like the spaceman from toystory) in brushed steel with rust spots and lots of dirt :)

But im afraid that will remain a vision from what i have seen and heard in the past concering cenega and modability ...

• 1 month later...

It's a shame, but if you push for dull graphics, that's what you get. Bravo for doing something different.

I dont care for graphics much, they could bring in a muton band playing "ymca", as long they actually care for modability. I already have a vision of that heavy armor suit (the red and blue one looking like the spaceman from toystory) in brushed steel with rust spots and lots of dirt :(

But im afraid that will remain a vision from what i have seen and heard in the past concering cenega and modability ...

:( I have visions of your Muton band dancing the night away to YMCA! hahaha