Watch Jagged Alliance 3D in Action

baby arm

JA3 will for sure not be completed? There are no hope for us?

JA3D was the mission-based JA offshoot being developed by Mistland/GFI Russia for Strategy First. Strategy First canceled that title recently, saying that it was not on track or not up to their quality standards. GFI Russia plans to finish the project on their own and release it with all the JA-specific content removed.

JA3 is the "proper" sequel to JA2 (with a strategic layer, non-linear gameplay, and all that) and is still in development by an unknown Russian developer (not GFI Russia) under the guidance of Strategy First. Richard Therrien has said that there's currently a playable prototype.

The video was very interesting, but i realized one thing:

Jagged Alliance for me will always be 2D only. The original game series is cartoonish, 2D and isn't too serious. The 3D version is a completely different breed, it is no real child of the series.

I mean, take a look at the faces in the User interface of the video, they would be awesome and fitting in the old games, but in the 3D version they look completely out of place, they don't fit anymore. It's like driving a Ford T oldtimer with a GPS navigation system in it.

Do not understand me wrong, the video is awesome and it might be a really good game, but i think the real reason why we don't see a real JA3D game is the fact that the 3rd dimension simply "breaks" the series. 2D isn't inferior to 3D, it's only a different style.

I truly believe if someone would produce a new game with the old engine (like Wildfire did) the game would be a bestseller. Simply because everything fits, everything is in the right place and style.

Believe it or not, i still remember phrases from the first game in the series. I especially liked the "A shotgun, in good condition" spoken statements when you clicked at things. Lol, sometimes when i see a good old car, i even think: "A beetle, in good condition".

Never change a winning team.

I love Jagged Alliance (2)!! :D

But all these 3D versions I have seen are always so ugly, and I do not understand why? I think JA3 would have been much beautifuller with even the Silent Storm graphics, but these the Mistland people showed was just so ugly and dark and poor colour and just bad...

Sorry, but I take Jagged Alliance seriously. The dialogues make me laugh even in the middle of battle. :)