Xcom Oddness

Galagher

So this is the strangest thing I ever saw. An alien ship, sectoid, research mission, zone antarctica. But the size was listed as "Pursue without Interception" and the craft type was listed as "Sectoid Corpse." When I did intercept it the thing appeared larger than a battleship and returned fire with greater range and more force than I'd ever seen. When I manage to live long enough to fire on it the game crashes. I tried to take a screenshot but printscreen didn't take. How can I get one so I can show this odd monstrosity?

F12 will create a targa image of the screen (it'll be in a format which looks like shot0000.tga). Jpegs have a low image quality when converted from targa, so I always convert them to pngs (bonus: the file size is smaller). :D

If you have that game saved, how about letting some of us take a look at it? While we do not allow members to post attachments here, I'll be more than glad to add it myself (just email it to me: zombie at strategycore dot co dot uk - replace "at" with "@" and "dot" with "." ). :)

- Zombie

Very odd indeed Gallagher! What is interesting is that the speed of the UFO is 464 knots. That doesn't correspond to any known UFO max speeds. The game crashes when you engage an attack or try and view the UFO image in the intercept screen. In addition, the UFO can attack with your craft still in standoff range! :D

Oddness1.pngOddness2.png

GAME_1.zip

- Zombie

It doesn't seem like your average bug. Where would that 'pursue without interception' message come from. It must have been something the game designers were playing with. Although an alternative interpretation might be that Xcom is slowly developing sentience. A possibility I've always considered. I wonder what would happen if we managed to follow it without attacking, I don't have the hardware in that game to keep a thorough watch on it. The real question of course is what this thing is going to do to my monthly score.

Hmmm... This is getting better by the minute. I did some more research and found that the "odd" UFO (#125) turns into a Terror Ship when the second Terror Ship (#126) shows up. And instead of being a ship with Sectoids it is now Mutons! Wait, it gets even better. UFO's #125 and #126 converge and follow each other around. Then they disappear. I managed to survive the month with a good score without doing a thing so at least you can finish the month. By the way, take a look at the alien activity graphs. The graph numbers are really huge. I suspect that there is some major corruption going on for all this to happen. :D

- Zombie

I just did a similar test, letting it run and watching. UFO-125 turned into a Snakeman supply ship and went to the Alien base in North Africa for me. When I look at the graphs all activity registers below the 0 mark. I had noticed that glitch much earlier in the game. Finishing the month without dealing with a single UFO, including two terror sites, I got an Excellent score.

After further testing UFO-125 does not always mutate in the same way (it seems to change depending on UFO-126). It has become a Snakeman Supply Ship for me a couple times. Last time this happened UFO-126 was an Ethereal Supply Ship going to a new Alien Base in Spain (which is so close to my hyperwave decoder I don't know how it exists undetected). I'm not sure if this is always the case, that base only appeared once.

On the plus side 125 can be shot down and dealt with normally after it mutates. I also seem to recieve an Excellent score no matter what I do here, that's new since last month my score was poor.

The size of your ship is definitely data corruption. Fun things like this happen. Once got a battleship under my control - wish I'd saved that game before I crashed the game by telling it to return to base. Not that it had any home base to begin with...

By the look of the english.dat file, the PURSUE WITHOUT INTERCEPTION string is surrounded by a series of other strings that aren't used in the game. Like the directions of the compass, SELECT, ACTION, CONTINUE, INTERCEPTION, PURSUIT, etc. This suggests that there was possibly going to be a few different interception options that never made it to the final cut.

I guess some of the actions may have been cut due to redundancy. You can already pursue without intercepting by simply staying in stand off range and minimising the intercept panel.

- NKF