All right, my "wrap in a quote" doesn't work
This will be the last update for the demo... unless someone gets around to playing it and wants to offer some feedback
I've just finished playing your demo and wanted to thank you for delivering such an outstanding piece of work! I really enjoyed it.
Finally the mafia/mobster theme!
Here is some feedback (positive and other):
1.) Painless transfer zones!
A great solution to "not all party members..." type of messages. I am not even sure if the fast travel is actually needed.
And with randoms not always being populated by bad guys it is sort of a interesting challenge/gamble, if you will...
2.) For some reason (whether intentional or not I don't know) Mira and Vlad lose all the accumulated experience (lev.7 in my case) and items after one chooses their professions
Although frustrating it is somewhat "compensated" during the battle for the compound where both of them gain most of that experience back.
3.) Some enemies don't engage in combat at all. They just sit "smoking" even though their comrades' heads are getting shot off just a few feet away. I understand it is most likely SS engine or AI behavior limitations, nevertheless I thought it was worth mentioning.
4.) The prerequisite 6 (at least) battles are a little too long of a wait to specialize Mira & Vlad, in my opinion. I was ready to do it when we got to town (after 2 fights). But it might just be me being impatient. It probably depends on how large the rest of the main plot is. If there 20+ more hostile encounters then I guess 6 battles is not that much after all.
5.) Innovative use of the available clothes. The Italian uniforms combined with British commando berets create very believable militant outfits. Nice touch! They were very underutilized in the previous titles (aside from the manor RE with the Sea Devil rifle, afaik)
6.) A little more background information on what's going on could be helpful. Journal is good, but different documents (clues) like: militant correspondence, Yoshimoto's ransom note, mobster's love letters or something like that could add quite a bit to the intrigue or humor, imo.
7.) When and where is all this happening? I felt in some sort of historical "vacuum". I might have missed it though.
8.) Mira, for some strange reason, is considered a male (base on the available clothes selection in the store).
Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially if further in the story we'll have a sufficient explanation for that, without digging too much in her/his closet...
9.) Does the striped road barrier at the edge of the "Yoshimoto's compound" map lead anywhere? It looked suspicious... (or is it "to be continued" type of thing?)
10.) And also, while I don't have a problem with cussing, in the journal it seemed a bit out of place, unless the main character is that kind of guy/gal, of course (which was not clear). Well, it was just a thought...
11.) "Easter eggs" like the 33-40 scoped rifle on the 2nd map "strategically" placed on the dresser was greatly appreciated, thank you. My sniper sorely needed it. More eggs are always welcome:)!
Are there going to be any more?
12.) Fighting battles while being outnumbered is very exciting. Hope there'll be more of that. Our quality vs. their quantity is something I really appreciate.
13.) A gradual introduction (scaling) of newer/better weapon types was just right, imo.
14.) A limited assortment of merchandise at the arms dealer is also nice.
Hope it'll remain that way.
15.) Is it at all feasible to introduce the Hammer & Sickle familiarity system?
There it was possible to develop familiarity to one weapon from each weapon category.
One could be proficient with, say, 1 knife, 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 SMG, 1 MG and 1 rocket launcher type all at the same time.
16.) Does Yoshimoto have anything to do with Yoshimo from BG?
Probably not, I'm just curious.
17.) Thank you for not using panzerkleins!
No map was designed for any particular strategy, so I had some fun actually playing through. Oh, and I did my play testing on impossible difficulty with a rating of 2.48ish.
18.) Nice use of the original templates.
The original demo was perfectly 'playable', but there were a few things that I felt needed to be corrected:
- Adjusted the probabilities for random encounters. They seemed to occur more frequently than what was intended.
19.) RE: I realize it was intentional to provide the player with ammo and such...but is there any chance of throwing in different in strength assortments of enemies instead of just: club, pistol, rifle A, rifle B, smg? After a while it becomes a little bit tiresome to face the same combinations of mobsters...
Tweaked the first encounter to make it a little easier.
Well, I played on ~ 2.00 and found that encounter quite challenging. The mobsters went for barman and the crew and paid little attention to me. It was fun shooting them in the back though
- Fixed an issue with the engineer perk tree where the 'cheap reload' perk and subsequent branch were unselectable.
20.) Very good redesign of the skill trees (at least the ones I got a chance to check out).
And I really appreciate inclusion of "Look for free" into engineer skill tree. I always felt that this particular perk was a must
for every profession. Do medics and others enjoy it too? (I didn't check it yet myself...
- Added a new uniform option for the male hero during creation. A new skin was available for the female hero, just forgot to implement the other one...
Right, and Mira being a guy too (see above)...
(or maybe I shouldn't laugh
- Some minor text changes.
21.) I am not sure if you need any more textual corrections but I'll mention them anyway if you are planning on "polishing" your mod any further. (the underlined words have orthographical errors in the game)
NPCs pop up:
- 2nd sentence "...some of them
- "...of the player has reason
to "remove" them."
Zone pop up:
- "...and the remaining party members
- "...a transit system will become available
Minor points worth mentioning:
- When hiring a new merc, the hiring interface that lists the mercs with small photos is not accurate. You have to select the 'info' tab to see who's who. I plan on reworking the interface for the full version, but it wasn't a priority for the demo
22.) Yes I noticed that. I haven't hired anyone this time through though. Will do next time with a different character class.
Did they all retain their voices and unique remarks?
Oh, yeah, and what was the problem with Yves? After being executed he was still on the "Hire" screen (without a price though). Is it supposed to be that way?
- I highly recommend that you do NOT select the save 'only on chapter map' feature in the custom difficulty options (or you will not be able to save the game ). Oh, and save often
Yes, thank you. I try to create at least 2 seperate saves for each encounter...
- Of course, some bugs may still exist.
Haven't experienced any... yet...
That's about the majority of it, I think. For anyone that enjoys playing this demo, a full version might be done in 6-8 weeks or so...
Thanks again for the excellent mod!
Can't wait to try the complete version!
- Blunter -
[Edit by Zombie: Sorry Blunter, but the forums are only set up to handle 5 imbedded quotes in a post. Any more than that and the software ignores them. You did a good job working around it though.]
- BlunterMod v 2.4 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) (5 versions of Splittermuster 45 uniform, unique versions of existing weapons, multiple game play changes, all default REs are scripted now, new lighting, several new scripted REs, HE rounds are temporarily gone - converted to 'surplus' ammo instead, 3 new enemy classes ("Grunt", "Zombie", "PK Operator"), all PKs have been overhauled (stronger, better, faster, auto-destruct) and a Soviet Intel subplot featuring Lt. Colonel Mikhalev from H&S ~ 7 missions) + v 2.3 full (without HE rounds)
- BlunterMod v2.3 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) ---4 more uniforms, 1 new ammo type and a new weapon added, "Castle Linden" random crash fixed, a new area "The Bank" added to the Sentinel base, and various other changes + v 2.2 full (see ReadMe file for more info)
- BlunterMod v 2.2 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 20 new ammo types added (AP, HE, API, JHP), 7 unique weapons added, New RPG money items created, German Soldier Class characterss don't wear goggles + v 2.1 (full but without game-breaking bugs, hopefully)
All Uniforms v 2.1 DO NOT USE (bugged) --- A Wave Defense "Castle" encounter, ammo and weapon name fixes, cheaper surplus uniforms, binoculars fix + v 2.0 (full)
- All Uniforms v 2.0 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 108 more uniforms + binoculars + v1.0 uniforms and changes (ReadMe for v 2.0)
- All Uniforms v 1.0 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 78 new uniforms (available from the base seller, prices vary) + various gameplay changes
- Silent Storm on Steam Greenlight has been approved 08/28/13!
- Available for purchase on Steam - "Silent Storm" + "Sentinels" page
My Blogs: H&S blog and just funny book titles I created for my kids( unrelated to Silent Storm).