Need a mod to make Sentinels weapon damage more like Hammer and Sickle

I really loved Hammer and Sickle, so I decided to give Sentinels a go, it being the 2nd game in the series and therefore possibly better than Silent Storm 1. I am a bit disappointed however - why does it take twice as many shots to kill people as it did in Hammer and Sickle? Is there a mod that can correct this and make weapon statistics more like they are in Hammer and Sickle? I tried using the weapons rebalance mod in the files section of this site, but then the accuracy of all guns became too low, help!

Welcome to the boards Clockwork Orange!

What you are proposing is kinda what Snake proposes here. To get S2 and S3 to behave more like H&S.

As for a more damage mod I don't know if there is one out yet. At least official as in posted in a Silent Storm forum.

I do know about the damage. It is pretty annoying to see a soldier take 5-6 shots to the head before dying.

But blame it partially on body armor. Otherwise try and setting the difficulty setting down on the enemy health bar. Less health less damage needed. :D

Hello, Clockwork Orange. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of HS or I could do this mod for you pretty quickly. If you don't find anything here that is close to what you're looking for and you have the interest... I could give you a step by step way of making that mod. You'll need SQL server, MS Access or preferably blueshelldataguy (if free downloads are still available?), and the editor of course :-P

I'm working on a new scenario mod for S^3, what it sounds like you're asking for is pretty simple and should take maybe a half hour to do yourself... if you do have the interest.

Thank you for your replies. I am not good at programming, but if what needs to be done is pretty simple, I'd be interested if you could point me in the direction of what I'd need to do to make the mod. I guess it would include opening the Hammer and Sickle data files and copying over the data to the Sentinels weapon files. What is the editor I need?

I won't be able to respond anymore for about a week, though. Going on business trip.

The editor should have came with Sentinels... can't remember if it auto-installed with the game or was just optional at installation. I also checked on blueshelldataguy if you don't have MS Access, they still have free a trial version available for download, check out blueshell.com if you need it :) And SQL server should be a download from microsoft if you need that as well...

Oh, and don't worry, I don't have any programming experience, so I'll try to keep things as simple as possible :D

So once you have the S^3 editor installed and the other stuff...

1.) Start SQL server and then run the S^3 editor. A 'database' pop-up box will appear. Click 'New' and enter whatever you want to name your mod (just so nothing happens to the original database). When it's done with the setup just 'Cancel' out for now...

2.) Now run MS Access or dataguy. (I have no experience with Access, but if you have trouble getting into the database with blueshell, I can do a quick walk through...)

3.) Database files list... S2AGAMEMOD_YourModName is the new database you just created with the editor. HS files should be in the list as well, but I'm not sure under what (A5GAME is S^2, if that helps). Anyway, open your mod file, open the 'dbo' file' then open the 'Tables' file. Scroll down the list until you get to 'RPG Ammos' and open that table. <-- Now repeat those steps for the HS file so you have both the HS 'RPG Ammos' & your mods 'RPG Ammos' tables open. Using the HS table as a reference, type in the values of the 'DmgMin' column into your mod's table (the 'DmgMax' column is not used :) ). When finished, close out those tables...

4.) Now the long part... Scroll down the list of tables until you get to 'RPG Weapons' and open that table for both HS and YourMod. Again using the HS table as a reference, plug in the values of the 'DmgMod' and 'DmgModMax' columns into the table of YourMod for all weapon types. Close them out when finished and you can now exit the database program.

5.) Launch the S^3 game editor again... Select 'YourMod' from the dropdown list and click 'OK'. The editor looks pretty complex at first glance, but don't worry :) In the toolbar at the top, the sixth icon from the left (resembles a hammer & tooltip says 'Build') - click on it. This updates the database files to be used by the game, may take a few minutes depending on your machine. When that's done, exit the editor....

6.) Run Sentinels, apply your mod, and you should be good to go :)

Any questions or problems, post back here and I'll try to help as best as I can...

• 1 month later...

Hi, I finally managed to find my H&S CD, so now I can compare the stats and make this mod. I'm having some problems with the blueshell data guy though. It doesn't want to open the new mod file I made with the Sentinels mod utility since it's in MDF format. So I'm basically stuck at step 2 in your excellent guide. Can you do that walkthrough on how to open these files so I can edit them? And where in the H&S directory should I look for the relevant H&S data file to copy the data from?

Thanks for your help so far.

I'm sorry, but I really, really, really can't get this to work. First of all, the Dataguy doesn't seem to want to load MDF files at all. So I use EMS SQL Manager Lite instead as someone on the board suggested, which can load the MDF file for Sentinels but the MDF file for Hammer and Sickle just doesn't show up in its database list. The Sentinels file shows up as S2AGAME and the H&S file is called HSGAME_Data.MDF, but typing in the file name doesn't help at all either.

Also, when using EMS SQL on the Sentinels MDF file, the RPGAmmos table doesn't seem to have any actual values. A lot of different columns listed, but no values. There might be values somewhere, but I can't figure out how to open them.

Thank you for your help, but I'm afraid I'm too daft to make this work. Shame they didn't make their game more easily moddable.

Sorry for not getting back right away Clockwork Orange. Here's the steps to use dataguy:

1.) Click the 'New Connections' icon (top left), which will pop up a new window.

2.) From that window, select the 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server' option and click 'Next'.

3.) For this window; Leave line #1 blank, then select 'Use Windows NT Integrated Security' for line #2, and finally select your db server from the drop down in line #3 (SQL server needs to be running).

Now all the database files should be in the connections window in tree form...

If you still tryo to do your mod and have any other problems, just post here and I'll try help as much as I can :D

Well, crap. That's that idea down the drain. H&S website doesn't have the "DamageMod" and "DamageModMax" values for the H&S guns listed. Wish I'd noticed that after altering the damage of just about all the ammo in the game after the list.

Anybody got any ideas about where to go from here? Should I leave the DamageMod and DamageModMax values as they are, or will that ruin the "H&S to Sentinels" gunfighting feel I'm trying to go for?

Edit:

Tried to run the Sentinels editing tool as Kaije suggested. Now it downright refuses to open on to the "Choose your mod" screen instead opting to go straigth to the editor screen after a few error messages like "Incorrect syntax near "." and "Cannot use empty object or column names. Use a single space if neccesary."

Hooray.

How do I fix this?