Anti-theft devices for bicycles are needed!

Crazy Gringo

So after about 17 months I got my bike stolen again. At least it wasn't parked where I parked it yesterday. So I must assume that it has been stolen unless it has become sentient overnight and ran away due to the abuse that I had put it through.

Despite the 17 months of use/abuse and it looked liked something the cat had tried to drag in it handled like a dream.

But I am just sick and tired of people going around stealing other peoples property. Especially when you gotta cough up some serious money these days to get a dream bike.

So is there any anti-bike-theft products out there or do I got to put one together myself for my next bike (GPS Tracking system and a rocketpropelled bike seat are just few idea rampaging through my head.)?

Sorry to hear the news.

A colleague of the other half put his bike in the secure room at their place of work. He went back at the end of the day to get it to go home and there it was, gone. And he 22 miles from home.

Do you use bikeregister.com? Their gold level of registration is good. It includes electronic tagging which is supposed to be easy to locate by the police.

Abus security locks come with an anti-theft guarantee so if your bike is stolen then you can recoup the loss through them.

Check out security stuff for bikes on wiggle.co.uk

M.

First of all you need a bike with a quick release front wheel. Then you want a good strong D-Lock and padlock the Front and Rear wheels to the Frame of the bike and attach it to something solid like a lamp post, or some railings.

If the saddle is quick release then remove that and take it with you, doing that makes the bike less of a target. A bike without a sadle is pretty useless.

Thankyouverymuch for all the feedback. :)

Bikeregister does not operate in Sweden to my knowledge.

Electronic tagging of bikes only works when the bike is found and that is the hard part. A tracking system would make finding the bike much easier. Much like this system here. Then some big brawnly types can locate the stolen property and recover it.

And why a tracking system you might ask. Because a decent bike these days cost the same as a LCD tv which they are outfitting with tracking systems.

Locking a bike to something solid or very heavy is what all people should. But carrying around on a 5 kilo worth of locks and chain is not quite the solution that I am looking for.

About shocking the thief into submission made me think of the handle bars on a bike. Instead of frying his rear you could have a self-contained tazer unit that would fire after a certain amount of time that the bike was stolen probably sending the thief into powerful spasms resulting in the thief falling of the bike.

An other version could be that his rear and hands are superglued to the seat and handle bars while a 115 db siren makes his life just bit more FUBAR.

As for protection systems against thief I still would like those use that rocket propelled seat. I can just see the situation in the emergency room at the local hospital when they bring him in with the seat up his rear. :D

And the point to all this: It is not funny to have a bike stolen. So why should the thief have any fun with it?

How 'bout a dog?

I do like the idea of a tazer in the seat though, then you can call anyone who tries to steal it for a "Numbnut" and mean more than just idiot (assuming it's a guy). :D

Seriously though, go for one of kernel's suggestions. I personally use one of those long 3kg-locks that I leave hanging on the bike while I'm not 'using' it.

Okay Tazer in the seat.

"Numbnut anti-bike-theft protection! Sure to shock while keeping your bike safe"

The Lock and chain solution is always the obvious one. But what to lock the bike too? A grizzly bear perhaps. It big and heavy. It only needs that sign saying: "Do not try to remove bike! You WILL get hurt"

The Mad Max anti-theft protection....A loud klaxon and a 20 second delayed explosive charge.

I'm just looking around to see what other option there are out there.