New Forum Skin

Pete

Well it's by no means complete but the bright colours of the default IPB skin were doing my head in.

I've basically saved myself some time by downloading a dark blue skin from t'internet and have wrapped the header and footer around it.

Some of the colours will change over the next few days/weeks as I'm aware it's still a little off-colour from the main site pages and the fonts are a bit small (I'm nearly 25, I'll be needing reading specs next!).

*Note to self - install the skin from t'internet next time as adapting it takes all of ten minutes* :)

There's an option to convert all users to a given skin at once. I assume someone has since used it, as I didn't have to change myself over.

Guilty as charged. For those of you who don't like this skin *gasps*, you can always switch it back. :)

Ahhh, back to the "mood-lighting" as I call this skin. Easy on the eyes it is. Nice job, Pete! :)

- Zombie

I used it to start with, however I don't know why it didn't work for you Slaughter. It's possible that if the skin is set in a cookie for an admin it would override any choice I made in the ACP.

Everyone else was probably set to just see the default skin :)

My only complaint with the revived skin is that I lose a bit of the left side of the screen when I'm not using the full width of the screen (I like to have my bookmark panel on the side - see). It wouldn't worry me if I had to scroll the screen to see everything - it's just that horizonal scrollbars won't let me scroll to the extreme left when using the new skin.

It's odd. Even with a fixed screen width, the page should't be doing this.

The site is now known to me as Rategy Ore! Uh, never mind.

- NKF

I'm using 1024x768 and my Firefox version is ... ooh, looks like the copy on this computer needs an upgrade. 0.8.

Still, I don't think the forum's using any snazzy new-browser-only martial arts for its formatting. Oh well. Actually, one solution is to open up a new window just for this forum and switch it to fullscreen while browsing normally in another window. I suppose I can live with that.

- NKF

It might help - I do have a more updated version lying around somewhere. It's just that 0.8's been very kind to me for quite some time, which is why I haven't been inclined to update these past few years (shows how well it's built, I guess). Still, a wide page shouldn't be breaking the scroll bar.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
If you upgrade, you might as well do the sane thing and install Opera :D. It's quite a bit faster than Firefox IMO, and the mouse gestures works much better.

If you're willing to give Trident a go again, you could always try out Maxthon. I've been using it for years now, before the whole Firefox craze began. It's one of the first browsers to use mouse gestures, and most of the features are built in. I've personally tried out FF, and even after spending hours looking for plugins, i just couldn't get it to function at the same level as Maxthon. In any case, that's my 2c =)

• 1 year later...