Normal expectations

ein

Hi all,

I'll open by saying that my version of the game (1.4) came in a dvd case with no manual so don't laugh too hard.

I posted in the support section and got an answer to my immediate question (paraphrased): Why is the whole plannet covered in biomass and I have no research topics?

Well it turns out I was looking at the development screen not the reasearch screen (which I was not aware existed) so I never did any reasearch.

So I restarted, discovered the research screen and am stuck again. This time I have all the base locations (there are a few biomass patches but they are under control). I have done the first A51 mission (computer) the first russian one (briefcase) and the japanese one (floating cube).

Not having in bases, the aliens haven't used any ships for quite a while now. All my remaining reasearch (alien containment, etc) depends on summary of the dreamland files. (If I recall correctly previous discussions about the dreamland summary boil down to .. another mission will show up eventually).

[The only missions the computer is offering me now are - capture and elimination and grinding them in the hope that something else is comming gets boring.].

Now of course I would like to know the solution to my immediate problem (How to get the dreamland files).

However this is symptomatic of a larger problem.

While I realise a litteral walkthrough is not really possible, Is there a document which describes "normal expectations". ie something I can use to measure progress, to see if something really has gone wrong (like doing zero research) or its just a waiting issue.

Thanks

I hate it when they decide to cut costs by not including a manual.

Double check the research and development screens to see if there is anything you haven't researched. Some research items actually appear in the development screen because your engineers are the ones who have to do the research. Also, make sure that you have at least one research base and one development base.

You should be very close to victory. The purpose of the 'floating cube' mission is to capture an intact Reticulan battleship to ferry your troops to the Reticulan command centre on the Moon. After the mission, a new topic should appear in the development screen - refitting the battleship for human use.

Once the battleship has been refitted, a new button called "Moon Mission" should appear on the main campaign screen. When you select it, your squad will be automatically taken to the Reticulan lunar base.

The plotline missions are as follows:

AREA 51 MISSION

This appears when you have around half a dozen bases under your control.The objective is to recover a computer containing the files the US government had on the aliens and their technology - your engineers and scientists need these files to make any real progress on the aliens and alien technology. Unlike normal missions, the Council of Earth regular troops cannot attempt it and there is no time limit on resolving the mission.

KASPUTIN YAR MISSION.

This missions appears when you have around a dozen bases. The objective is to go to the Russian equivalenht to the Area-51 base and recover the computer files the Russian government had on the aliens and their technology so your scientists and engineers can progress. It is identical to the Area-51 mission except that the Reticuland have better weapons and equipment at this stage.

OLD GREYS MISSION

Unlike the other plotline missions, this mission is optional and it has a timelimit.

Once your scientists and engineers have examined the files from both Dreamland bases, they learn a lot about the true nature of the Reticulans and their plans. They also learn that not all the Reticulans support the invasion of Earth.

The objective is to rescue two pro-humanity Reticulans who are holed up in Asia. If you succeed, they will join your squad.

RETRIBUTION MISSION

Shortly after your scientists realise that the Reticulan command centre is off-world, you will be asked to capture an intact Reticulan battleship so that you can actually send your troops to the Moon. This battleship can appear anywhere - in your case it was in Japan.

MOON MISSION

The final showdown against the Reticulans!

Thanks for the answer. Yes that was what I was looking for.

For the curious and for the poor confused people who will come after me.

Area51 should give you the "Dreamland files".

This is separate from the "Dreamland archives" which you get in russia.

Somehow in my game I managed to complete A51 without collecting the computer.