New UFO: Extraterrestrials Screenshots

baby arm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest from the UFO: Extraterrestrials website.

Remember in Enemy Unknown how hunting for the last alien on a mission could be troublesome? That alien usually would never move, thus forcing you to search the entire battlescape again for the lone holdout. (I attribute this to a massive morale loss). Well, the UFO: ET team came up with a rather creative solution: the last one or two aliens would go into a "Kamikaze mode". I would guess this means the alien(s) would actually move to engage your troops instead of being "frozen" to a spot on the map. A suicide mission if you must.

This has some important implications on your game plan. Instead of using the same type of strategy, you must change tactics near the end of the mission for the inevitable mad rush of the aliens which are left. Of course, if you know what is going to happen, you can prepare for it too. Nevertheless, it will be an interesting fix to this age-old problem. You can read more about it here.

- Zombie

I doubt the Summer 2006 release will happen. It still sounds like there is plenty of work just fixing all the bugs. One of the problems for the ET team seems to be estimating what is left to do. Past delays have alienated some fans so let's hope the next release date is concrete, not floating. Crying "wolf" is questionable PR. :)

- Zombie