First real UFO: Afterlight screenshots emerge

Thorondor

Base management, storage, diplomacy, squads (plural!) OH MY!

The base management also looks modular ala X-COM... off to read the interview now, but this looks VERY promosing. Those cartoony faces aren't bothering me in the slightest either :drink:

I rather like the drones. One of those things looks like it's packing four chainguns! Now if we can only keep the walking drones, and add a two legged one... 100% Win.

Also, I'm not minding the cartoony look much at all. If only the skins were slightly less bright. Make them a darker blue, like the Aftershock Laputans' armor, and we'll have a recipie for pure God and win.

Oh, and Accounting Troll: When I saw the Martian robots, I imagined an AS defender drone with legged chassis. Maybe it's the colors, but they didn't feel like Starghosts to me.

Also... looks like there will be usable vehicles, if the third screenshot (specifically Pauline and her bike thing) is any indication.

'And now for something completely different', quote by John Cleese in a Monty Phyton sketch.

Afterlight does indeed look promising....Lot of potential for a tactical strategy shooter fan like myself.

The cartoony look of it all makes it a bit more likeable instead of trying to mimic the real world (even if we haven't been on Mars in person yet). It should put a dampener on those 'We want more reality' persons out there.

An interview would be nice. Especially we can get into the different games concepts like the strategic, tactical and management parts of the game.....I almost forgot weapons of cause....

Warp machineguns, bah!....Singularity point projectors are much cooler....It fires tiny black holes....

I would like to know something about the customization of the weapons....Will it be possible to configure a weapon to be a CQB weapon and then rebuild to be a heavy machine gun or sniper rifle as with the XM-8 program?

Cpl: she hasn't - look at her health bar and picture and it shows she's unconscious. I think that's actually her gun sticking up from her crumpled body (not in an "is that a warp rifle in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me" kind of way :drink:).

Cpl: she hasn't - look at her health bar and picture and it shows she's unconscious. I think that's actually her gun sticking up from her crumpled body (not in an "is that a warp rifle in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me" kind of way :drink:).

But her gun looks totally different from that. :drink: I mean... if what we see in that picture is her gun, said gun is bigger then she is! That'd make sense for a chaingun or something, but it looks more like she's packing a rifle or perhaps grenade launcher.

I agree. She is unconscious on the ground with her arm, leg, or weapon sticking up. Most definitely not a bike thingy. :drink:

Looks damned good. I like the new cartoon-ish look. The previous two games had more dreary atmospheres and that tends to get old after a hundred hours or so of game-play.

When you compare the advances they made between Aftermath and Aftershock I have very high hopes for Afterlight. Even though I never finished Aftermath and I have yet to complete Aftershock I am ready for the next one. Can't wait to get a demo on my hard drive. :drink:

Think I will revisit Aftershock and advance farther into it in hopes of reaching the ending before Afterlight arrives.

I'm surprised nobody noticed: reverse engeneering seems to be making a comeback. Take a closer look at this dropship and check out the reticulan parts on it

Warp machineguns, bah!....Singularity point projectors are much cooler....It fires tiny black holes....

For all you SF lovers out there: Physically, you can't launch a black hole. It would be both absurd and dangerous to create one on the battlefield, seen as though these things are quite stable in nature. Still, you could think of a weapon/generator that would, when activated, project a mass point which would descend towards singularity state. Then, just before collapse, you would stop the generator, at which time the mass point would collapse, "snapping" space flat and levelling everything on quite a range (the striders in Half-Life 2 work like this)

God, I love technobabble! :drink::drink:

@Pete:

The ship appears to be a Human/Reticulan hybrid, which is not altogether surprising given the colony's origins:

[quoting from Cenega's UFO: AL press release, March 1st 2006]

UFO: Afterlight takes us to Mars, where a human colony has been built with the help of the Reticulans not long before the events of UFO: Aftershock took place.

Also: check out the new UFO: AL posters (New1, New2) now available at the Downloads section of the official site!

Is it just me or does it look like one of the frontline drones might be manned by the trooper standing behind it (a la Alpha Centauri)? At least the drone's weapon handles strike me as being there for an other-than-cosmetic reason.

::

@Slaughter:

I hope you don't mind terribly if I field the unanswered questions I've already submitted pre-E3, Olav. You should probably browse that thread for other people's entries as well.