X-com Reborn

benjob

*Takes out the green mask from the Courage the cowardly dog and puts it on*

BOO

*The nurse runs away*

I agree with you Fox. I would like to see a 10 storie high building go down with the aliens as the High Explosive packs blow away the suport of the building making it crumble all the way to hell.

Or a sectoid flying over the high fence when a grenade hits the ground below him or a reaper squiching against the wall, when the rocket explodes right infront of his face.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riiight... I've been watching this thread with some enthusiasm, and more than a little interest...

This is just getting silly though!

As 50% of the people commenting in here have pointed out, it's just another rumour! There's nothing so far to suggest anything will ever come of it and unfortunately there's everything to suggest that nothing will ever come of it!

I would suggest that for now we al keep everything crossed, but we don't give up on our home grown projects... Xenocide and the like are getting there slowly but they're true fan games...

I don't care how much money these companies have... No one can compete with the fans themselves...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The one clue we do have - if you could call it that - is that the "copyright holders" have asked FilePlanet to take the game off their site. Which would make us assume that someone at least knows they own the game rights.

On the other hand, the Underdogs still have the game up, so perhaps FilePlanet just decided things on their own.

• 4 months later...

I think you guys aren't mentioning the single most important thing that would make a new X-Com live on forever: a full fledged editor.

Ideally I think most of us would be happy with X-Com: EU updated to a new graphics engine, some tweaks and some new additions to the gameplay but fundamentally remain the same. Having an editor that would allow you to change the text, story, weapons, graphics, etc. would allow us to create entirely new mods and even total conversions. Imagine being able to play the game all over again with new techs, new story, new research, etc.

Not all bundled in a single editor though. :)

Hatfarm's UFO exe editor comes close to doing everything sans graphics and research tree but it is only for the CE gold version of the game.

The main stumbling block for a unified editor is the fact that there are many versions of the game. The old DOS version had a split executable and the windows version has a single executable. This wouldn't be to bad except the offsets for some of the data differs. Now, an editor which deals with primarily with the game files works fine as the offsets were not changed between versions. That said, it not impossible to have an editor which does everything. :)

- Zombie

Not all bundled in a single editor though. :)

Hatfarm's UFO exe editor comes close to doing everything sans graphics and research tree but it is only for the CE gold version of the game.

The main stumbling block for a unified editor is the fact that there are many versions of the game. The old DOS version had a split executable and the windows version has a single executable. This wouldn't be to bad except the offsets for some of the data differs. Now, an editor which deals with primarily with the game files works fine as the offsets were not changed between versions. That said, it not impossible to have an editor which does everything. :)

- Zombie

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. A single, in-game editor designed from the ground up to help amateur modders. I used to do amateur and professional design with SSSI's editors (Empire Earth, Rise and Fall) which were in-game and WYSIWYG. Made it very easy to create entire campaigns by yourself. For X-Com, a big part of playing the game for the first time was the discovery of it all. Everything about the aliens was foreign. You had no idea how many there were, what technology they had, what you could ultimately research, etc. Seeing a Chryssalid for the first time and thinking, "WTF is that thing??" So having the ability to create total conversions, or near to them, would allow us to have new experiences that we simply can't have anymore with X-Com.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this post belongs to here too. Decado2 wrote yesterday to Bear's Pit:

https://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbth...139/#Post130139

In 2005 Take 2 bought the rights to the X-Com franchise shortly before buying a little company called Irrational Games.

A little while ago one of the Irrational guys mentioned something in an interview about their next games. I only recall it vaguely, but he said something along the lines that hardcore gamers would be very excited about it.

Now this bit of news/rumour:

https://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45797

Irrational Games, developer of System Shock 2 as well as the upcoming BioShock (X360, PC), may be working on a successor to Microprose's PC tactical sci-fi classic X-COM: UFO Defense. Evidence suggesting the new game's existence comes by way of a resume found on the official website of law firm Fierst, Pucci & Kane, LLP. It was listed in the CV of firm partner Frederick U. Fierst, which states that among Fierst's clients are "Ken Levine and Jonathan Chey, founders of Irrational Games LLC." The current version of the document has had the pertinent reference removed, but a cached version of the document lists the following games as being credited to the Boston, Massachusetts- and Canberra, Australia-based developer (emphasis added):

System Shock 2, Tribes 3, SWAT, X-Com, BioShock, Freedom Force

See the article for the rest. This could turn out to be excellent.

I really would like to get my hands on "new" UFO: Enemy Unknown. Hey, I still play the orginal one. I like its simplefield unlinear strategy, simple weapons and over all Action Points based tactics (!) - ay caramba!

I think some veterans here know more... at least I hope so. :( :(

EDIT: Oh, will https://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/ come out soon? Or at end of the year... x-max..

I hope this is true KoMik! We've tried to get something out of Irrational, but their lips are sealed. We've decided to keep this out of the news here, as it is just a rumour for now. Let's hope an official announcement change that after Bioshock is released this summer however! :(

I think this post belongs to here too. Decado2 wrote yesterday to Bear's Pit:

https://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbth...139/#Post130139

In 2005 Take 2 bought the rights to the X-Com franchise shortly before buying a little company called Irrational Games.

A little while ago one of the Irrational guys mentioned something in an interview about their next games. I only recall it vaguely, but he said something along the lines that hardcore gamers would be very excited about it.

Now this bit of news/rumour:

https://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45797

Irrational Games, developer of System Shock 2 as well as the upcoming BioShock (X360, PC), may be working on a successor to Microprose's PC tactical sci-fi classic X-COM: UFO Defense. Evidence suggesting the new game's existence comes by way of a resume found on the official website of law firm Fierst, Pucci & Kane, LLP. It was listed in the CV of firm partner Frederick U. Fierst, which states that among Fierst's clients are "Ken Levine and Jonathan Chey, founders of Irrational Games LLC." The current version of the document has had the pertinent reference removed, but a cached version of the document lists the following games as being credited to the Boston, Massachusetts- and Canberra, Australia-based developer (emphasis added):

System Shock 2, Tribes 3, SWAT, X-Com, BioShock, Freedom Force

See the article for the rest. This could turn out to be excellent.

I really would like to get my hands on "new" UFO: Enemy Unknown. Hey, I still play the orginal one. I like its simplefield unlinear strategy, simple weapons and over all Action Points based tactics (!) - ay caramba!

I think some veterans here know more... at least I hope so. :( :(

EDIT: Oh, will https://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/ come out soon? Or at end of the year... x-max..

Site says release date is Feb 28th.

Site says release date is Feb 28th.

Yeah... but their release dates have proven to be extremely flexible in the past. Combine that with the fact that there's been no news of it going gold, and I don't think it'll be out by the end of the month.

They were ironing out bugs at the time, thing I respect deeply after playing Aftershock. And this is the first time they gave a specific release date :(

Have faith :(

They were ironing out bugs at the time, thing I respect deeply after playing Aftershock. And this is the first time they gave a specific release date :(

Have faith :(

We'll see. We'll see.

With luck, though, this could be the year of the X-Com. A new X-Com potentially in the works, UFO: ET finally getting out the door, UFO: AL out...

Wow, thanks about the the .au site. I hope this is true, still its source may not be Irrational (under the assumption that Irrational is working on X-COM). Could be one of those companies that buy domains only to sell them for a higher price, the 2007 thing bothers me a bit.

It seems that there will be released near dozen pause games every year... and just one or two APs games. Well, that's better than nothing. I think and hope that at least ET will be APs based. This link says it will be released Q3, 2007 https://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Synergy-UFO-Extraterrestrials ... is this just a rumour?

Oh, thanks you guys for the info!