26 replies to this topic

#21 Dumb_Commander

Dumb_Commander

Addicted to Fan Fiction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

I mean the alien sonic weaponry, and the explanation the green sonic bolts.

#22 uriaheep

uriaheep

Inflatable Halfwit Salesman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

View PostDumb_Commander, on 12th May 2007, 2:51pm, said:

I mean the alien sonic weaponry, and the explanation the green sonic bolts.
Your memory is failing DC, we had a chinwag about this sometime ago.
Here

A simple explanation of how resonance could work as a weapon is to consider waves on a lake.  As the waves roll gently to the shore they will swell and fall in synchrony with each other but if you make counter waves by throwing a brick into the pond then where they meet violence can be seen.
I'm no scientist but as a musician, strings of a guitar can be tuned together by synchronising the resonance.  If two strings vibrate out of resonance they sound and 'feel' bad.

Then consider in water, the power of sound waves would be increased by the weight of the water - sea water is heavier than fresh water too, therefore increasing damage potential.

On saying that, I suspect in real life it would be almost imposible to isolate and direct sound as water is such a good conductor of sound.
LAST OF A DYING BROOD.

#23 Tepid tasoth

Tepid tasoth

Seafood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

Uriaheep may be a genius if it's possible to use sound waves to change the density of the medium carrying the sound. Light refraction may account for the green color then!

Edit: just read the topic you linked an it looks like both of us had the same idea w/ that refraction stuff.

#24 Skonar

Skonar

What Would Gearhead Do?

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

You guys should do what I do, and treat the games for what they are. A cheap attempt to cash in on X-Com's heroism in the post-war era.

As if the brave soldiers who fought the underwater war threw grenades and walked on the sea bed... ha! You think the Aquatoids, with their fins, couldn't swim wherever they wanted to?

Feh, these games...

*Wanders off, shaking his head at yet another terrible misunderstanding as to the true nature of the war.*
GEARHEAD: Debris Can't Fight Back

Skonar's Fanfic/Comments thread

#25 Tepid tasoth

Tepid tasoth

Seafood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

Ah Skonar, don't worry! C'mon let's go to the Sectoid's and have some Psi Burgers.  (:

#26 Skonar

Skonar

What Would Gearhead Do?

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

But the happy meal's Reapars have four legs. (:

I wish they'd frikkin' hire a historian.
GEARHEAD: Debris Can't Fight Back

Skonar's Fanfic/Comments thread

#27 Kir'jaeden

Kir'jaeden

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

Diffraction limit does not allow to generate directed beams of sonic waves like it happens with a laser.
More over, sonic waves of ultra high frequency effectively absorbed by both water and air.
To make a directed weapon such as lasers, aliens must churn out generators  which could form a temporarily waveguide from air/water and sonic energy must propagate within it. (radiation self focusing). To add a destructive effect, the ultrasonic waves must be modulated by infrasound frequency. This feature will help tore apart XCOM personnel and other living targets more effectively since the resonance frequencies of body parts are in infrasound range (1-20 Hz)
"Green bolts of energy" is a fiction like the "pew-pew blaster beams" in Star Wars.
Sonic pulser seems more realistic than "sonic gun". When explosion occurs, some of shockawes  are pulsating within a fireball, going through it center and reflecting from its border. If the device could detect the waves and add a new pulses to amplify them, we ll get much more destructive shockwaves.
Overall, energy weapon (laser gun, plasma gun, railgun etc. ) is not a problem. Crucial problem is a lack of compact power source/power accumulator. Here comes Zrbite/Elerium :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users