Retro Review - UFO: Enemy Unknown

Slaughter

UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-COM: UFO Defense) has been around for over a decade, and still no other game has stolen it's throne. The unique mix of strategic micro management and tactical combat makes for a special treat for most strategy gamers, and luckily the game runs fine on modern computers using Windows XP.

EU_review_01.png EU_review_03.png EU_review_04.png EU_review_05.png

Bomb Bloke knows everything there is to know about the X-COM series, and has written up a review of UFO: Enemy Unknown for your retro pleasure. Find instructions on how to download and install the game here, and whet your appetite with Bomb Bloke's review here.

Great, now you have playing the game all over again... *grumbles* :drink:

::

It never ceases to amaze me how confoundingly well the aliens' AI performs. Not once, but repeatedly. I'm thinking, a decade-plus hence, quite a few developers should have been taking notes.

*New game. Tactical mission 1*

*Tank/Rocket Launcher gingerly rolls down the Skyranger's ramp.*

*A shot streaks across the netherland parting the darkness*

*Direct hit*

*Tank falls neatly apart*

*Quick tally: $400.000+ worth of equipment to the scrapyard. Eight previously cocky, high-browed XCom operatives respectfully demand sick leave...*

:drink:

Hehe, it's not so much AI as statistics. On harder enemies or harder settings it's just a matter of numbers.

Now... if it took into account unit size an body parts when applied to a 3d model of each character the aliens wouldn't be half as accurate :drink:

Well, actually, it turns out that unit size is taken into account... Which is why kneeling is such a good idea, and why you can fire shots under Floaters! (And civilians, for some unknown reason... :drink: )

In fact, the entire map is a 3D space. You can shoot through windows or shoot at the sills.

Body parts are also considered though that only goes so far as to work out which armor class is used in the damage calcs, or which limb to apply fatal wounds to.

• 4 years later...
Guest Francois424
Easily one of the best game I played at the time... No, to think of it, beside odd follow-ups, nothing quite like it ever saw the day. It's just pure, unrestricted fun as you defend your planet, Cities, and marines against unrelenting hordes of aliens. A must play if you never did, even if you have to run it in dosbox.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else who likes this game, you MUST check this out:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=E...nknown_Extended

Fan mods to fix over 100 *serious* bugs, better music (from the PSX version), and all kinds of gameplay customization.

The X-Com series will always be one of my very favorites, right next to the ZZT and Zork games. Wanna know why? I used to love playing it in school! While my dimwitted peers were still trying to learn how to use Powerpoint and Word I was blowing aliens into chunky salsa and saving the world...when I wasn't busy running circles around the Internet filters or checking out all the machines left open on the network. ;) Good times.

The guys behind Ufopaedia.org are natives of these forums ;)

Anyone else who likes this game, you MUST check this out:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=E...nknown_Extended

Fan mods to fix over 100 *serious* bugs, better music (from the PSX version), and all kinds of gameplay customization.

The X-Com series will always be one of my very favorites, right next to the ZZT and Zork games. Wanna know why? I used to love playing it in school! While my dimwitted peers were still trying to learn how to use Powerpoint and Word I was blowing aliens into chunky salsa and saving the world...when I wasn't busy running circles around the Internet filters or checking out all the machines left open on the network. ;) Good times.