SG Research bug workaround

Crazy Gringo

Nice of you to hear my call, Gringo. I think I can give a more detailed solution though. I have posted a quote to almighty1's solution to the problem. I will also post a link to the little scripthe made that automatically fixes the savedgames.

Ok I think I have a solution, but you have to accept hacking your save game. Extract your savegame using vfstool, go to the file strat_game, find the research section, starting "research SubTechnology RECORD", count down 50 lines and change "isAvailable BOOL FALSE" to "isAvailable BOOL TRUE".

OK, sorry for double-posting, but I think it is clearer this way. Beneath is the link to the script. It seems to unbeleivably work even after almost a year, although we should make a new one just in case, so that the script does't get lost. I can't save files to this computer I'm on, so somebody else will have to download the file and host in in a fresh spot.

"The pwnage of the starghosts is near" script

Vfs tool is also needed ;)

Instructions (transript from the creator):
Unzip both my program and script, as well as vfstool.exe to a folder.
Either using Dos console, or a shortcut run the patch.bat file with the argument of the save game file location. E.g. "patch.bat mysave.vfs"

Notes (transript from the creator):
This is pretty experimental, you will need at least Java 1.4 for it to run. Also make sure you back up your save game file. I have tested this on a brand new game (after first base mission) and the "new enemy race" research IS made available.

OK, that sees to be about it. I think this thread is worth being stickied (more than the "Wikipedia entry" thread, which I have failed to properly maintain). Any additions are welcome, as is any error report, although I fear I won't be able to help too much.