Top Ten Video Game Weapons

Those guys think the chainsaw is a "late game" weapon in Doom? ;) Kinda takes away my faith in their gaming experiance... ;)

And the "spread gun"? Whose bright idea was it to put that on the list? Even the humble shotgun is more gratifying then that one! :)

It's also strange that they disclude all spells on the basis that they're "powerups". Some games use the things exclusively, such as Magic Carpet - and the Meteor and Volcano spells are a joy everytime.

And we all know that the lack of a Blaster Launcher on that list is a crime.

They forgot a few weapons.

The shock rifle in the Unreal Toury games (especialy the one in the InstaKill mod), great at long range, deadly at close range.

The Blaster Bomb in X-Com.

And the Umbra longsword in TES IV: Oblivion.

Edit: Oh and the shrinking gun from Duke Nukem 3D.

Umbra has a very powerful attack value and also has 120seconds soul capture.

In the hands of an expert sneak it usualy ends up with 1 hit kills on pretty much anything.

Edit: And when the hell was this stupid post flood control enabled? ;)

I got an server error page when posting that last comment... so I hit back and clicked submit again. Nothing happened for about a minute so I hit submit again and up popped an error stating I couldn't post for the next 30 seconds due to flood control.

I hit back and submit again and got the same error (I didn't read it properly the first time), so I went back again, waited a short time and hit submit once again and my post finaly worked... only the text was duplicated 3 times. :)

Oh, and what's with the text on ALL error messages (including server errors) that says

"If you are unsure on how to use a feature, try looking through the help files for more information.". :)

Are you trying to suggest I don't know how to use the forum. :):)

It's not just this board that says that, I've seen it on lots of different forums. :)

Edit: OK this has got the the most ever edited post on a forum due to typo's, and stuff not making sence... wonder if there's an edit post flood control. ;);)

I've played a different game with a gravity inversion weapon. It doesn't deal damage to the enemy. It just throws them up in the air. In my case, I lifted a passing buggy off the ground and watched as it flew off into the distance. Fun. I think of it more as a support weapon than as a power up.

Speaking of spells - spells are the sword and sorcery equivalent of guns, rockets, flamethrowers, chemical warfare and what have you without the firearms, ammunition supplies, canisters, wobbly bits, tubes, and other heavy, greasy and messy bits. Well, it's all still there, just a bit lightweight in compraison. Candles, wands, staves, bits of wood, 3cc of mouse blood, etc.

I don't suppose the mighty 'prod' ever made it? That's from the Worms series, by the way. Probably would be counted as a 'power up', since no actual damage is done. The only things involved are gravity and an inability to swim. Whee!

- NKF

I don't suppose the mighty 'prod' ever made it? That's from the Worms series, by the way. Probably would be counted as a 'power up', since no actual damage is done. The only things involved are gravity and an inability to swim. Whee!

- NKF

Sadly no prod. ;)

And no Concrete Donkey ;) or priceless ming vases. :)

Well prod is a weapon, as powerups in worms are called utilities I think.

In HL2 your gravity gun gets powered up to fling people just before you have the Pong final battle(sorry HL2 fans but that is what it is). Doom 3 also has a gravity gun in the expansion but for the original game it was left out rather than put in as a gimmick.

Another gripe is I wish these reviewers who are clearly not proper gamers would stop saying Valve's physics engine or the Source physics, the engine used is Havok2 nothing to do with them.

Another missing one is the Excalibat from rise of the triad, which was most likely the inspiration for the worms baseball bat as it also knowcked people flying.

Another gripe is I wish these reviewers who are clearly not proper gamers would stop saying Valve's physics engine or the Source physics, the engine used is Havok2 nothing to do with them.

From what I've read the source engine uses a heavily modified version of the Havok physics engine, so technicaly they are correct, or at least half correct.

Edit: Wikipedia backs me up on this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine (See "Technology" section)

Another missing one is the Excalibat from rise of the triad, which was most likely the inspiration for the worms baseball bat as it also knowcked people flying.

Ooh! Ooh! RoTT's Drunken Missile launcher! 5 semi-homing missiles per blast. Lots of explosive fun! ;)`

• 2 weeks later...