They're in your computer!

Bomb Bloke

I bet you all the money I have someone at Microsoft (now unemployed I imagine) put it in the latest update for XP as a joke :eh:

Would have been better if it came back with "Yeah, we know" when you open the file though :thinking:

The truth is, this works with any set of words - so long as the character counts match up with my original statement.

For example, "1234 123 123 12345" should give the same results. Notepad can't read the file back, for some reason.

Another piece of Windows trivia - You can't make a folder called "con".

That's because "con" is the name of a device (the console). Same as nul (the null device), lpt1 - 9 (lpt ports), com1 - 9 (com ports), etc.

More fun can be had with notepad and NTFS streams.

This will only work if your hard disk is in NTFS format.

Go to the run command and type "notepad c:\normal.txt:hidden.txt". Notepad will ask you if you want to create a new file, say yes. Now enter a load of text into notepad and save the file as normal and close notepad. Now goto your c: drive and look at the file normal.txt. Notice it's a 0 byte file and if you open it you will see there's no text.

Now go to your run command again and type the same command as before "notepad c:\normal.txt:hidden.txt".

Notepad will open the file and your text will appear.

This is because normal.txt is effectivly 2 files in one. The normal file which is empty, and the extra stream called hidden.txt that has the text you typed in. Explorer shows an empty file because it doesn't understand file streams.