UN mission... solved it, but have a query

Spoilers ahead.

Don't read if you haven't finished... or at least be warned.

So I've finished the UN mission successfully twice (easy then medium @ ~1.8), but I was reading through this forum and find that everyone speaks as though it's quite easy to disarm the 4 bombs in the narrow corridor that prevents instant access to the "northern" (north = where the tiny staircase that the demolitions team tries to use to escape after setting their explosives) entrance to the next floor (of which most people complain is too hard).

How do you disarm these 4 bombs in the narrow corridor?

I've tried shooting at them, lobbing grenades, and disarming them, but the first two never result in an explosion and none of my engineers can climb onto the ledge into a position where they can disarm the first bomb (they can reach the platform in that patented SS-engine half-climb pose, but can't take any action).

my apologies if this query has already been answered elsewhere, but I've done a search on "disarm" and "bomb", but no one seems to describe the actual method of disarming the bombs... just that they enter "through both doors" into the next level...!

Thanks in advance.

Well justinstyles! You have come to the right place!

And welcome to the boards by the way.

The method for defusing a bomb/mine is the following (and don't sue me if you can't make it work).

Have your man who is going to defuse bomb/mine hold one of the following items (bomb defusing equipment): A mine probe, A hank of wire, or a pair of pliers.

The mine probe

And do make sure that the item is 'active'. You do this by single clicking the bomb disarming equipment when your character is holding it.

Mine probe active

Now that the defusing tool is active trying moving your mouse cursor over the (M) icon do that the mine/explosive is highlighted.

Defusing

The defusing is succesful then the mine/bomb should be 'pretty' harmless for you and your group.

Defused

Be warned that when try to disarm the mine/explosive the game will go into turnbased mode if you are in real time.

So be as close to the mine/explosives as possible without setting it off because it takes 30 action points to defuse the bomb.

How do you disarm these 4 bombs in the narrow corridor?

I've tried shooting at them, lobbing grenades, and disarming them, but the first two never result in an explosion and none of my engineers can climb onto the ledge into a position where they can disarm the first bomb (they can reach the platform in that patented SS-engine half-climb pose, but can't take any action).

As far as I know you can't disarm them from there no matter what you do :thinking: .

If you wish to acquire them for later use you will have to do the main mission first in order to approach those mines from the other side of the narrow corridor.

Hope that helps...

Blunter II

The method for defusing a bomb/mine is the following (and don't sue me if you can't make it work).

Gringo, that doesn't apply in this case unfortunately. Because of the way these particular mines are placed, you can't get up onto the walkway to defuse them.

@justin - I have beat this level seveal times, and like you I simply ignored the "back" way into the main room, because I was unable to ever defuse the 1st mine. However, the last time I went through I was able to defuse the first mine by detonating it, and then defuse the others normally.

Here's what I did: I had my engineer crouch underneath the big pipe running across the tunnel, and from there I had him lob a TNT charge onto the 1st mine. I've tried grenades in the past, and they never worked, but the TNT charge worked just fine. Once the 1st mine detonated, there was enough room to get up onto the ledge to defuse the others by hand.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
I have NEVER failed to disarm the mines in the narrow corridor!!!! In my version of the game, there is room for my engineer to climb over the obstruction and stand immediately adjacent to the first mine. She then uses a mine probe and disarms them one by one. I have the English version of Sentinels, imported from England, as part of the SS Gold Edition.

hi Crazy Gringo... thanks for the advice, but I'm good on the literal "how to disarm"... just couldn't figure out how to get up onto the ledge (unless one comes from the other side of the ledge) for this particular mission.

I have NEVER failed to disarm the mines in the narrow corridor!!!! In my version of the game, there is room for my engineer to climb over the obstruction and stand immediately adjacent to the first mine. She then uses a mine probe and disarms them one by one. I have the English version of Sentinels, imported from England, as part of the SS Gold Edition.

I've the (American) Aspyr version of the Gold Edition (I have the original SS too, but when I bought it second-hand, the shop never gave me the second CD so had to buy the Gold), and I can't imagine that the version matters on this mission.

cookie and fgrbrooks... I'll have to try the TNT-lobbing although this is the first mission where I can get TNT... unless you mean any set-charge?

BTW, I played this mission at least five times because I wanted to figure out why my squad kept being seen and found that if one waits for a patrol to pass before having my squad emerging from the initial entry, it makes the mission much easier. In addition, out of the five times, one time, the patrol set off the mines in that narrow corridor so I could enter from the "north"...!

I must say that that type of un-predictability is what keeps me re-playing this game... and I have yet to install any of the mods (!)

best regards.

PS: sorry for taking >1 month to reply, but got caught up in the game as well as RL work.