England v Trinidad

Accounting Troll

Why are we struggling against Trinidad? Trinidad have one player who can't even break into the first team at Falkirk and a Reading reject goalkeeper. And we are going to consider ourselves fortunate if we get a 1-0 win.

In recent weeks, I've jokingly suggested to people that England are going to do badly in the World Cup because we didn't take any Reading FC players, but based on this performance...

Edit: Crouch has just scored :thinking:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think we've got much to celebrate about. After about 65 minutes they flashed up stats for shots on goal. We had 3 times more shots than them with 16 shots and still hadn't scored!

It's like Beckham just decided "right you load of muppets, thisis how you cross a ball" and then Crouch scored off it!

Lampard... let's not go there... Someone should just tell the man what a goal is before he actually injures someone in the crowd.

The fact that you had to play your highest card (Rooney) in the second match against TRINIDAD (the Norwegian commentators said that Beckham is paid more than Trinidad together) doesn't bode well for you... Now well, at least your first game was impressive... :thinking:

But there was no point putting Rooney on. He's obviously under orders not to get into any bad tackles, so where was the point? Cheer up the England fans a bit by taking of a perfectly fit player and putting him on to raise the Nation's spirits? :thinking:

I thought Sven looked rather relieved when the first goal went in, possibly the most relieved man on the planet right now.

Now be fair, Paraguay had an unfair advantage. How were we supposed to know that it sometimes gets hot in the summer?

I'm just glad we're going to be rid of Sven Goran Erricson when the tournament is over, regardless of how well (or badly) England perform. He won't EVER subsitute Beckham, no matter how badly Beckham plays. Apart from his blind faith in Beckham, his other subsitutions seem to be somewhat random.

You mean like pulling off star strikers in the first match? :thinking:

He always sits back on a 1-0 lead. Maybe it's different in the Swedish leagues, but the England players all play for sides whose response to going 1-0 up is to try to get a second; they aren't used to sitting back on a 1-0 lead and letting their opponents go on the offensive.

It's a dangerous strategy as well. Our win against Argentina under him in 2002 was fortuitous - at 1-0 up, he took off Michael Owen, the only player we had who frightened the Argentina defence. The entire England team camped in their half and let Argentia launch one attack after another. As we had nobody up front, everybody else was booting the ball away and waiting for the next attack, while Argentia could push everybody forward as there was no risk of being hit on the break or Michael Owen picking up the ball after a clearance.

And I haven't forgotten THAT game against France either :eh:

Trinidad played well in both there games and defended solidly through the game, they're not as bad as most people seem to assume.

The problem for England is the Long Ball to crouch at every opportunity isn't working, wimbledon my have won the 1988 FA Cup using this tactic , but come on Sven this is the bloody world cup!!!

Aaron Lennon? Class

Frank Lampard has had more efforts on goal that Gerrard, Gerrard couldn't hit Argentina if he tried in the game against Paraguay.

Crouch? May we do a search on his grandparents and see if he has any Saudi Arabian blood. he can bogg off and play for them instead! And then he'd struggle to get in the team.

Slaughter, just what group are Norway in anyway?

Nuff said

Rant officially over

Doesn't Gerrard have the most monotonous voice ever? They interviewed him on the radio and my ears, eyes and nose started to bleed.

I laughed my arse off over Czech Rep. vs Ghana. We've had a few big upsets this world cup, except for the Argies, who are shit-hot.

And here I was so happy with what we did to Brazil, we were only missing a deserved goal, but again I was hoping we would win against Japan. But noooooo!!! I was so incredibly angry during the match, not so much about the missed penalty, even though that would probably completely kill Japan, but the total lack of goals from sure chances. I want to strangle Klasnic, he should go on a diet with Ronaldo, he stood there like the princess of Monaco or as if he weighed 500 pounds, waiting for the ball to... err... maybe hit him at just the right angle?? I just can't believe that someone who plays so well in Werder hasn't scored more than 3 goals since he started playing for the country (2 of them being in that match against Austria not so long ago). He missed so much on this game. He's been given waaay to many chances and didn't do anything, it's time Olic gets a chance from the first minute, not that he will be much better, but at least he'll try to do something, run and maybe win a penalty.

Well, at least Brazil beat Australia, so we still have a chance, IF we don't underestimate them.

It's so annoying with us, because you never know which Croatia will walk out that day. It's like we're bipolar. :thinking:

Lately, it seems to me that Brazil and France have been "Losing it" in their matches. If you watch the performance of both teams, the players' eye-foot coordination has been WAY off. With teams like Korea and Australia doing their best.

I actually watched the France V Korea match and laughed my head off. The Korean fans just kept dancing, and the French Manager was like "If I ignore them, their'll go away." :thinking:

Mind you, now both Brazil and France are faced with the prospect of going out if they don't win their next matches.

Maybe the English team could use this type of performance to their advantage if they (The English team) make it through, maybe they should start working on a similar tatic that Australia and Korea have been using?

That was hilarious when South Korea equalised :thinking:

I have to say that I was unimpressed by the Italian performance against the USA. For the entire second half, Italy had a one man advantage over a team whose players are ignorant of such basic tactics as fixing a match by bribing the referee, taking a dive to get an opponent into trouble and time wasting when holding out for a good result. And if all that doesn't work, De Rossi's deliberate elbowing of McBride showed that the Italy players will cheerfully resort to kicking their opponents off the pitch :eh:

Still, it's reassuring to see that England aren't the only major side to underperform :eh:

And while I'm ranting, guess who is going to be a co-presenter on BBC Radio 5 as of 7pm tonight UK time - link.

I think the "lesser" teams (no offence meant) play with pride and passion and work hard.

The bigger conutries strutt around like they have already won the match before kick off.

Good luck to Australia and Japan, although i'm rooting for the Aussies more (sorry Japan, you do have fit ladies though!! Helloooo Nurse!!)

:thinking:

I'm getting fed up with all this talk from both the media and our esteemed manager about how England wants to finish top of group B in order to avoid meeting Germany in the second round. What kind of attitude is that?

England were second favourites going into the tournament, and I keep hearing all this talk about it being our best chance to win the World Cup since 1966, but when it comes down to it, we're frightened of Germany. If we are serious about trying to win the World Cup, sooner or later we are going to have to play and beat the likes of Germany, Brazil and Argentina. Does it really matter if we run into one of these sides in the second round or semi-final?

Domestically, this attitude of hoping for a weaker opponent is only found among lower division sides in the FA Cup: they want a nice easy route to the third round, where they have a chance of being drawn away to Chelsea and making a big pile of money. The teams that are making a serious bid to win the FA Cup don't care who they get drawn against in the next round.

England should aim to defeat Sweden and finish top of their group, not to avoid Germany but for pride, something the England players have lacked in the last two games.