Yet More Taxes in the UK

Coincidentally I've been having a massive debate with my local council about getting a glass recycling bin here. What with it being a pub and all we get through quite a few bottles as you can imagine :thinking: Deal breaker is though, they charge less council tax if you have a recycling bin so they keep putting off giving me one just so they can charge us more.

My question is why do they care so much about a couple of quid a month and so little about the world we live in?

In response to the original question though I quite miss the window tax :eh:

With some old buildings, you can still see where they blocked up some of the windows to avoid having to pay window tax.

I know there has been some talk about councils charging households for the amount of rubbish they produce. If they go ahead with this measuire, people round my way are just going to dump all their rubbish in the countryside to avoid paying the tax. That's what happened when the EU brought in new measures concerning the disposal of CFCs in old refrigerators.

In the old days, if you brought a bottle of lemonade or beer, you paid a deposit on the glass bottle. You got the money back when you returned the bottle, thus giving you an economic incentive to recycle. Quite a few enterprising children supplemented their pocket money by going around collecting bottles and returning them. Bringing in a scheme like this would be a more effective means of getting people to recycle than taxing them on the amount of rubbish they produce.

Indeed. A penny a bottle or can and the homeless will have something to do as well rather than jsut their random bin-diving.

Sorry, not to nag at the homeless, but having worked in a shop, I happen to know that half in our city aren't actually homeless and just beg, ro their other favourite past-time, steal expensive merchandise and still have the audacity to beg and pretend they're homeless... I mean c'mon, if you steal a £250 jacket from every outdoor shop around here you'll net yourself a couple of grand a month so long as you don;t hit the same ones too often. Homeless and penniless my arse!

Sorry, rant over :thinking:

we just recently fought off sales tax increase over here...

supposedly it was to raise money for roads but i'd die of shock if our roads actually were benefited in any way by it, and apparently most people agree

so yeah, we get stupid taxes here...

In the old days, if you brought a bottle of lemonade or beer, you paid a deposit on the glass bottle. You got the money back when you returned the bottle, thus giving you an economic incentive to recycle. Quite a few enterprising children supplemented their pocket money by going around collecting bottles and returning them.

I remember climbing over the local shop garden wall to get into their pop store (other children made me do it of course) and 'borrowing' several bottles of pop. Stupidly we would drink the lot rather than throw it and then claim the refund on the bottles, burping and farting our way home more than happy with the few pennies we got for our trouble. Yes I am that old!

Nice to see you fought off the sales tax Blehm, if only we had the guts to do the same here. :thinking:

I can just see people raiding bottle banks coutrywide if ti happens... Might require a bit of a rethink, but essentially still an alright idea.

Maybe make people hand over receipts showing they actually bought the bottle in the first place?