Geoscape

Bulma

I'm starting to work on this, there isn't anything in progress on it yet is there?

There is work going on Tucky. Kinda. Veteran's trying to get his texture of the Geoscope to look better and more realistic (He mentioned it in https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/index...=0entry66174). I suggested to him to look for someone with good Adobe Photoshop experience.

That's about all I've heard on the artistic level of the Geoscope. I don't know anything on the programming side of things though.

There's a downloadable version of the limited Geoscape program in the files section here. Just download it and unpack it all in the same place and you'll get a rotating Martian globe. That was simply for texturing purposes though so its best to start from scratch for a new one. Bear in mind we need a bump map to give our oceans some depth and our mountains some height. Also as Alan mentioned we do need the texture improving. So far its just been done by myself as a reference. Everything is where it should be but I'd really like someone who can do this to edit it to a finer level of detail, give us forests and cities and such, just generally make it look better, especially for when the geoscape is zoomed in. To get the texture just head over to our files section and download the geoscape file in the special projects section. If anyone's interested in the texturing job pm me becasue unfortunately I can't do it!

• 4 months later...

OK, I'm actually working on the geoscape now :D.

Does anyone have any time to do the texturing or some of the menus? For the moment I'm using the textures from the Geoscape program mentioned, but I'll need someone else to do the bumpmap cause I can't do it either.

I'd suggest that for now just the basic programming will be a nice step in the right direction. Is the texture you're doing the green mars one that I made or the old earth one? Feel free to stretch it about or whatnot if you need to for now as we do need it improving at some point. We need a good graphical artist to work on that for us if there are any reading this so drop us a line if you can help! Bumpmap I've no idea about, would that be down to 3D or programming? Jman is our 3D dude so lets see if we can't ask him about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the green mars texture, bumpmap is just a 2D heightmap, I've found one of mars that I can use for now so don't worry about that.

So far I just have a rotating globe. I was going to start on the menus next to allow creating bases or something but i'm happy to work on other parts if anyone has ideas about what they would like to see.

https://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/tucky_02/screen1.jpg

Good work Tucky it's great to see some progress with what should (fingers crossed) be a relatively simple part of the game to complete. I'm quite chuffed with the green texture too, when I finished it I felt it was a little too unbalanced, lots of desert one side then all grass the other! Doesn't look too bad though so fingers crossed we'll get away with it at least for now.

Would it be possible to make a rotating screensaver from what you have now? Just the spinning globe with XCom Colonisation written in a corner somewhere. It would be a good little file to distribute throughout the community and could even help raise a little awareness.

Here's a little insight for you all as a reward for watching and helping the project. That texture was actually made by creating a martian patchwork quilt from a topographical map of earth so every single part of our geoscape actually started off as home!

The next thing i will do is work on updating the bump-map i have to your texture, since it's a little bit differently layed out it doesn't work at the moment. The only problem I can see with the texture is the 4 mountains, they are kind of alreadly 3d so im not sure they will look right when bump-mapped. We will also need more detailed textures if we want to zoom in, but we can worry about that later.

If there's any terrain features you want in it let me know.

After that I'll do the background/moons.

I'll have a look into the screensaver, not sure as haven't made one before.

https://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/tucky_02/15-11-06-screen1.jpg

https://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/tucky_02/15-11-06-screen2.jpg

Excellent work!

Only one comment, is it me or the sphere doesn't look too spheric?

I think i can see what you mean, but it is still brilliant work and another step closer.

If you mean the flat edges then yea, it's just a test model I will replace it soon.

One more comment... The bump map is kinda backwards isn't it?... I mean those ridges are actually planetary scars and on the image they're shown as raised features. Either way they need scrapping as I've filled them in for the green version. I figure they're post apocalyptic crater trails... Only thing I can see is the Olympus Mans looks a little small, bit too flat. It was the planets biggest mountain and bearing in mind Mars was relatively small I think it would probably show up a bit more on the geoscape. Any chance of some larger images so we can check out the detail? Super job by the way dude :D I'm trying to talk to you on MSN atm but I keep missing you. Hopefully catch you soon, I've been trying for days!