61 replies to this topic

#41 ufonaft

ufonaft

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

hi guys, do y know any way to convert GEODATA\ .dat translations to txt and reversa? :)

#42 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Updated with a fix for a TFTD crash, courtesy of kyrub.  :)

View Postprune, on 16 October 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Hey, I've just come across your custom uniform manager but it does not seem to work on W7 64 bit, is there any way to get around it? I've seen the screenshots and it looks really nice, just another level of immersion that i'd love to have!

I can run the generation process, but in game an error comes up saying 'this program is not compatible with a 64bit system etc etc'.
The executable code for BBMod is compiled twice, one 16bit version and one 32bit version. DOSBox can't run the 32bit version and 64bit Windows can't handle the 16bit version. So the BBMod batch (or BBMod addon batch for XcomUtil, if you're using that) is supposed to work out which BBMod EXE to use according to your OS.

Two possibilities - either you're using an old version (if what you've downloaded is actually called "custom uniform manager" then yeah, it's old - use BBMod from my toolkit!), or I messed up. The old releases only contain a 16bit compilation of my code and 64bit Windows won't touch it. They're also only compatible with outdated versions of XcomUtil.

I gather you're wanting to use BBMod via XcomUtil, so assuming I messed up, I've also made some changes to the plugin that will probably solve the problem. Download and extract the new version of my toolkit, no need to run the setup scripts for either it or XcomUtil again, it'll likely "just work".

Failing that, the quick fix is to go into the XcomUtil\Addon\BBMod\ folder and copy BBReset32.exe from there over the BBReset.exe file in the root of your game directory. If BBReset.exe also exists in the XcomUtil addon folder, replace that with the 32bit version too.

View Postufonaft, on 17 October 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

hi guys, do y know any way to convert GEODATA\ .dat translations to txt and reversa? Posted Image
I've added Str2TXT.exe and TXT2Str.exe into the bb_tact folder. The first dumps the DATs to TXT files, the second converts the TXT files back into DATs. Just double click them and they'll automatically stick their results in place within the GeoData folder.

The actual files they convert is determined by TXT2Str.ini. If you want to use extra DAT files with different names, go ahead and add them to that file. Remember filenames should be eight characters or less (excluding extensions).

They don't make backups, so be wary of running the wrong one by accident, or make sure to create backups of your own.

Another tool you might find useful (though it's not a new one) is "ConvMisc.bat", which is command-line based. If you run:

ConvMisc /toGif lang

... then it'll convert the LANG*.DAT files to GIFs (these are the ones that deal with the GeoScape sidebar in alternate languages - again, they're dumped directly into GeoData). To go back the other way:

ConvMisc /toGame lang

Same tool deals with just about all the other "odd" graphics, pretty much anything in the games that isn't a traditional SPK/BDY/SCR/PCK. Run it without parameters for the full list.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#43 Munkeylord

Munkeylord

Am I back? possibly.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Just double tapping. I noticed that pck2gif conversion is 32x40 while xcom's image frames are 32x48.

#44 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Just to clarify, only BigObs uses 48 rows, the rest have 40. If the PCK set you're dealing with has the title "BigObs" it'll automatically adjust.

Anyway, I've updated the PCK converters somewhat:
  • Can now deal with files that aren't in the bb_tact directory. If you don't specify a full path, it'll first look in bb_tact, then if they don't find them there, the UFOGraph/GeoGraph/Units/Terrain folders will be automatically checked. Results go where ever the source files are found.
  • When converting to PCK, you can now use the "/ignorepal" parameter to stop the tool from attempting to fix the palette for you. This means that the palette in the source images MUST match the palette of the PCK set you're attempting to convert to, or you'll get weirdness; if you don't get what this means you probably won't want to use it.
  • When converting to GIF/BMP, you can now use the "/sheet" parameter to have the results dumped into a single sprite-sheet image instead of separate files. You must also specify how many images are to be rendered per row (eg, "/sheet 16"). If you wish to convert from a single sprite-sheet file back to PCK, you must specify the full title of the source file with the extension (eg, "gif2pck sectoid.gif").
Did I mention the PCK converters now support BMP, as of a couple of months ago? I lose track. GIF2PCK automatically grabs either format, while you can use PCK2BMP for bitmap output. Files must be 8-bit and colour 0 is treated as transparent.

#45 darkporter85

darkporter85

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi everybody .I have a question to Bomb Bloke. I' m having a trouble with the command pck2gif of any pck files from units folder. I get  something like "java is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file". I have windows 7 x64bit.Before it worked well on my older Vista 32. Is it a compatibility issue, or may be Im doing something wrong.

#46 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Long story short, your operating system can't find your Java install.

This seems to be a bit of a "thing" for 64bit users. I recommend installing both the 64bit version of the Java VM along with the 32bit one before rebooting and giving it another go. Failing that, a web search on the error will give you quite a few ways around it.

#47 darkporter85

darkporter85

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Thank you Bomb Bloke. I fixed the problem by setting the path manually. Anyways thanks for the great editor!

#48 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Good to hear, well done!  :)

#49 ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade

Veteran Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

Hey there, BB. I don't know if you're still around, but I could use your help extracting .GIFs out of your recoloured uniforms, so I can adapt them individually to OpenXcom.

So far I've only worked on the black Power/Flying Suit, and I've been able to extract the main battlescape sprites and the inventory "paper doll" sprites. However, the corpse graphics (both BigObs.pck and FloorOb.pck) have been making me tear my hair off.

I can't open BigObs at all, with neither PckView nor extract it with Pck2Gif even if I copy-paste the relevant .tab file from the UFOGRAPH and UNITS folders. I can barely extract FloorOb as a .bmp using PckView, but it doesn't seem to process transparency the same way as .gifs, and I'm not sure that'll work for OpenXcom.

Any help would be appreciated.
Proud veteran of the X-COM Alliance Sim
[ JG-7X3 ]

#50 luke83

luke83

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

i dont use the toolkit very often but i tried on those 2 files for you, colours are very strange.... Most likely not very helpful for you but here it is.

http://openxcommods....-storage.html�� (At very bottom of link)

#51 ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade

Veteran Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

The colours are funky because you didn't apply the Battlescape palette.

Anyway, the BigObs and FloorOb PCKs I was referring to are those generated for the recoloured uniforms (in bb_tact\PCK), not the vanilla PCK files. I can't use them without extracting them to proper .gifs, and I haven't been able to manage that. I could recolour the vanilla files directly myself, but it could be somewhat jarring since the result wouldn't be 100% precise compared to the already-extracted inventory and soldier sprites.
[ JG-7X3 ]

#52 luke83

luke83

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

So i know for future, how do i apply the battle scape palette?

i just downloaded a fresh copy of the toolkit , i cant see Handobs or Bigobs anywhere

#53 ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade

Veteran Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Postluke83, on 15 October 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

So i know for future, how do i apply the battle scape palette?

i just downloaded a fresh copy of the toolkit , i cant see Handobs or Bigobs anywhere

To apply one of the palettes, it depends on the way you extracted the graphic. The toolkit's manual tells you how to extract images in a specific palette in the Pck2Gif section. Otherwise, if you use GIMP, you need to have palette (.pal or .act) files handy and apply them when you convert an image from RGB to Indexed mode. The window that pops up allows you to convert using a custom palette.

As for the other thing, you need to run UniGen.bat in bb_tact once you've unzipped the whole thing to the X-COM folder. That'll generate all the coloured uniforms in the PCK subfolder.

Unfortunately, I've run into another problem: at the very least the inventory images for the black power suit use the last row of the battlescape palette, which is something OpenXcom doesn't handle very well since it uses that last row for other purposes. And to make matters worse, said palette doesn't have enough dark gray values to recolour the aforementioned images in sufficient detail. :(
[ JG-7X3 ]

#54 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostShadowBlade, on 15 October 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

Hey there, BB. I don't know if you're still around, but I could use your help extracting .GIFs out of your recoloured uniforms, so I can adapt them individually to OpenXcom.

So far I've only worked on the black Power/Flying Suit, and I've been able to extract the main battlescape sprites and the inventory "paper doll" sprites. However, the corpse graphics (both BigObs.pck and FloorOb.pck) have been making me tear my hair off.
Sorry I'm so late to reply. I assume I'm rather too late, but here's your answer anyway.

Those FloorOb/BigOb files in the recoloured uniform folders contain just single sprites (much like the BigOb files in the UFOGraph folder). If you create a TAB file for each of them containing just 0x00 00, then that'd be enough to get eg PCKView to open them. Generating a new PCK archive with just any single image in it would give you such a TAB file that you could copy/rename to suit, assuming you don't have a hex editor close to hand.

BBMod implements them by re-writing the "full" BigObs.pck / FloobOb.pck files on the fly, to incorporate the single-sprites as the user plays the game. This means that you can have eg the blue power armour suit used with the red personal armour and the brown overalls, then change that for the next mission (given that it assigns different colours depending on the terrain you're visiting), and it'll still correctly generate single BigObs / FloorOb archives which contains the correct graphics for all of those sets.

#55 Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch

I just love the color red...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

View Postdarkporter85, on 26 April 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

Thank you Bomb Bloke. I fixed the problem by setting the path manually. Anyways thanks for the great editor!

Could you please elaborate how you fixed this problem? What do you mean by path and where did you change this?
Look at you hacker...
A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors.
How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?

-- Shodan, System Shock 2

#56 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

I recently inflicted a 64bit OS on myself for the first time, and... I'm not having this issue. Beats me how everyone else around the web manages to run into it.

Reading around a bit, it sounds like the main cause is installing a 32bit version of Java, but not a 64bit version (I currently only have the 64bit version in place myself, but you can have both) - the path doesn't get set, so your OS doesn't know where to find Java at all (it's logical that the path would instead be set to your 64bit JRE, but if you don't have that, then...).

Seems most people deal with this by setting the path to their Java installs manually, though it's likely better to just go download a JRE for Windows x64.

#57 ChryssalidHugger

ChryssalidHugger

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hy. This tool sounds awesome, but the link in the manual is broken. So I have no idea how to use it. :P

#58 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

I ain't talking to no Chryssalid Hugger! (I would, but I have no idea on the answer)

Welcome to SC!

#59 ChryssalidHugger

ChryssalidHugger

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

@Space Voyager lol Thanks. Posted Image I've got some of it working by stumbling around.

Chryssalids just want some loving. Posted Image Tentalouts though, they are pure eeeeevil. :S

Edit:Oh. There are more manuals in bb_tact. :)

#60 ChryssalidHugger

ChryssalidHugger

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Um, ill just take my dunce cap now if you don't mind .
I tried to view the html file while still in a zip viewer. Awesome mod BB!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users