#21 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:15 AM

The "initialisation complete" message should only pop up for a fraction of a second, if it stays on the screen any longer then that, you can assume it's crashed.

It's trying to draw a unit, but it seems it can't find the sprites it needs to do it (it reckons index 12 doesn't exist for whatever unit it's aiming for - but each of the units it could be trying to draw should have at least 260 sprites available to use). This is odd, because if the files are corrupt, then I would expect the actual game to have trouble too (it'd either crash or fail to render the units in concern).

Units\Muton.pck
Units\Muton.tab
Units\Sectoid.pck
Units\Sectoid.tab
Units\Xcom_2.pck
Units\Xcom_2.tab

Together, these files should be taking up just over 70kb. Also make sure they aren't locked in some way (eg, open in a hex editor).
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#22 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:01 AM

Why thank you. I think I know what's wrong now. By the way, I just read over my last post, and I sounded a bit... demanding? Sorry about that, anyway, whatever it was. I was in a bit of a hurry. But thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to using it. It will be a real help.

Thanks,

Redrat.

#23 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

Heh, informative is what you were - a refreshing change compared to most of the technical-type questions I have to answer.  >:]

Let me know how you get on.  :oh:

#24 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:14 PM

Hey, always good not to accidentally offend somebody. Anyways, is there a way to attack with a Chryssalid? I know that you aren't supposed to be able to, but in the stat editing screen in the battlescape editor, the Chryssalid, and other close combat units, say they have a turret number of 255, and no ammo. Perhaps if the attack was to be given a limit, something like a clip, then would it be accessible to the player? Same with the Reaper and Silicoid. I tried giving it ammo, but nothing happened, probably due to the lack of a graphic for what is in the hand.

Thanks,

Redrat.

#25 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:07 AM

No one's managed to get melee attacks working in UFO, as yet.

Turrent types are set via index 117 of the unit's UnitRef record. Check here for known types. 255 means "none".

It would appear that only the first few are valid, and any value higher then 7 triggers an overflow (causing the game to derive weird turrent types from data intended to be used for execution, or other purposes).

I suspect the attack interface would need to be manually added to the game executable somehow.

#26 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

Interface-wise, I guess there could be a key.  Getting it to respond to said key in a fashion that would have some human interface is a whole other story though, right? However, UFOExtender did add stun attacks to most of the guns, but I imagine making a turret for the Chryssalid and basically doing the same thing would be a different type of coding, correct?

Thanks,

Redrat.

#27 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

Given that at least one "glitchy" turrent exists, I would assume there's an array of turrent "features" that gets called on. This would contain such information as the type of bullet image to use, whether it was explosive, the damage amount and type, and perhaps a few other things.

For example, the Celatid fires like a mortar, and the Launcher HWP fires in the same way as the Blaster Launcher.

It may be that the Chyssalid's special attack can be tapped into by finding this array and messing with it. Another option would be to see if it can be created as an actual item; though this would lead to sillyness in that you could mind control the creatures and make them effectively drop their own claws, plus new Chyssalids (freshly hatched from zombies) wouldn't have new claw objects (which wouldn't stop them from attacking: it'd just stop you from accessing their attack).

#28 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

Well if nothing else, thanks for the education. Perhaps when I finish learning C++ I can actually look into this in some detail, but for the moment, my time is taken up by that. Anyway, goodbye for now, and thanks for the wonderful editor.

Thanks,

Redrat.

#29 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:38 AM

Hello again. I absolutely LOVE your editor. I think it's the single most useful program I've ever come across. So when I moved to a new computer, I wanted to bring it along. When I tried to run it, however, I got a problem. When I went to run the map editor, a white screen came up and stayed up. I did the same thing as last time; I then tried every key on the keyboard in a fashion that would not overwhelm it. I then minimized the window, and in the Command Prompt Window, I got this:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IlleagalArgumentException: Color parameter o
utside of expected range: Red Green Blue
			 	at java.awt.Color.testColorValueRange(Unknown Source)
			 	at java.awt.Color.(init)(Unknown Source)
			 	at java.awt.Color.(init)(Unknown Source)
			  at Pal.getPal(Pal.java:174)
			 	at Text.loadText(Text.java:43)
			  at Text.(init)(Teaxt.java:33)
			  at LoadGame.chooseSlot(LoadGame.java:88)
			 	at MapEdit.main(MapEdit.java:28)

The only difference between this one and that one is that the indentations in the Command Prompt Window were composed of a single press of the tab key as opposed to a ton of spaces in this one. So, I'm going to be honest. I have absolutely NO idea what this is, and any help you could provide would be met with the utmost appreciation. Good job on the editor, sir, and (hopefully) thank you for your help.

Thanks,

Redrat.

#30 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

It's trying to build a palette (using geodata/palettes.dat) and failing miserably. That probably means there's an issue with that specific file; though others could also be corrupt - this just so happens to be the very first game data file that the editor tries to load.

#31 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hello again. So I've gotten another new computer, running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with a grafics card built into the processer. After struggling for some time and fruitlessly searching for a solution, I eventually managed to get the game running. Excited, I wanted to get my old joke maps up again so I could mess around with them some more. But alas, there was an issue. The editor runs in a small square in the corner! It's fullscreen (no window) but it's only about an inch square in the top left corner. The rest of the screen is black. Any idea what's going on? The command prompt shows no errors. Is there a config file I can tinker with, some other magical solution, or will I just have to use my XP computer to run this? Perhaps it's possible that the lack of ability to turn off DirectDraw Acceleration is an issue? By the way, I've already tried a clean install with both your Toolkit and X-COM, something I learned to do from last question.

Also, slightly off topic, but this IS where I'm supposed to be asking questions, right? Not some other board or thread?

Thanks for your time,

Redrat

#32 zaimoni

new
zaimoni

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

View Postredrat9595, on 05 April 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

The editor runs in a small square in the corner! It's fullscreen (no window) but it's only about an inch square in the top left corner. The rest of the screen is black. Any idea what's going on?
Go into the control panel for the display, and set the screen resolution to as low as it will go.  Reset it to where it was, when done.

#33 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

This is indeed the best place to ask.  :argh:

As zaimoni hints, your screen resolution isn't being set correctly. This likely has less to do with your operating system and more to do with the capabilities of your display - the editor asks for 320x200, and if for whatever reason it doesn't get it, it just carries on (that is to say, it renders the low-res editor display on top of whatever your standard resolution is, and so you get the thumbnail effect with most of the display unused).

It's vaguely possible tapping the S key would've kicked it into submission (doing so attempts to go into 640x400 so it can use Scale2X), but odds are your screen won't accept that mode either.

In any case I've just uploaded a new version that shouldn't have this problem. Your screen will go into a 4:3 aspect ratio (probably 640x480) - this doesn't quite match what the original game uses (8:5), so the pixels will probably look a little distorted, but it should at least work.

#34 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Ok, just wanted to make sure. I was a tad confused because the support forum seemed to be a bit of a jumble.

Thanks a bunch! Seems like the new version works just dandily. I'll look a tad more into it tomorrow night. Also, I could barely tell about the "distortion". I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't looking for it. Now I can finally continue my work on my "Reaper Clubhouse" map!

Thanks again,

Redrat

#35 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Finally got time for further review of the new version. Just figured I'd put this up for you, even though neither of these are more than the slightest of nuisances. The first screen, where you select the save, seems to have issues with the cursor. It's sort of laggy is all, but once the actual editor opens it's smooth again. The other thing is that it seems as if it can't poroperly cover the taskbar, so there's this rapidly flashing bar (like a strobe light) across the bottom, but only a couple pixels tall. Also, it will turn whatever color your cursor is if you move your cursor around on it. It's hard to explain. I just fixed this by opening the OSD of my monitor and moving the vertical position down one. 6 second fix. Other than those two things it works perfectly, as always. The Reapers and their clubhouse are forever grateful to you! Also, these don't seem to appear at all if it doesn't have to change screen configuration.

Thanks,

Redrat

#36 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I'd rather have it working "properly", so any gripes are appreciated.  Posted Image

I'm not sure what would be causing the mouse issue. Only thing I can think of is that the load screen is missing the timer code built into the main editor (which stops the scroll/animation speed blasting off to infinity on fast computers), so it just sits there trying to update the screen as fast as it possibly can until you're done with it... Perhaps if a computer is too fast then things start going pear-shaped? I've tried enforcing the same frame rate cap on it, so let me know if that sorts it.

The bar down the bottom is due to a rounding error in my screen-stretching code (that being that I allowed it to rely on rounding at all  Posted Image ). The program ends up drawing "nothing" along that last row of pixels (... unless you put the mouse over it). I'm not sure what you mean about changing the "screen configuration", do you mean if you run it on your old computer that can handle 320x200 res? In any case I'm pretty sure I've nailed this one.

Update is at the usual link.

#37 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Ok then. The main screen is working properly again, and the bar at the bottom is gone! Also, I meant exactly as you thought I meant, apologies for not being more clear. Thanks a bunch, I don't see any more problems at this point, though I'll give it a shot on my old computer Wednesday-ish. I don't want to be the cause of it messing up for others with older systems, though I don't see any issues cropping up.

Thanks,

Redrat

#38 redrat9595

new
redrat9595

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

Ok, here I am, as promised, Wednesday-ish. Everything's working fine and dandy here on my old computer, just as before. Many thanks to you for your patience and cooperation through this whole thing and good luck in whatever endeavors you may follow.

Thanks,

Redrat

#39 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Good to hear, have fun with it!  :)

#40 prune

new
prune

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hey, I've just come across your custom uniform manager but it does not seem to work on W7 64 bit, is there any way to get around it? I've seen the screenshots and it looks really nice, just another level of immersion that i'd love to have!

I can run the generation process, but in game an error comes up saying 'this program is not compatible with a 64bit system etc etc'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users