Keeping it smooth

RiskyX

Hey all,

I,ve had Aftershock for some time now but havent got round to playing it. The one thing i did notice during the little test i gave it was the poor performance so i was wondering if u could give me any tips?

Here's my specs.........

AMD64 3400+ i think

512 ddr

radeon x700 256m

any help would really be appriceated as it was kinda sluggish even on the lower settings so i,m sure that i,m missing somthing or some bug is plaugeing me :P

Cheers :P

Hey all have i said or done somthing nobody has replyed to my hello msg { suprises me nobody has even introduced themselves or welcomed me}

and my request for help people used to be so helpfull and freindly on this forum but nobody is giving me any advice so i cant start the game because i want to get the best performance i can . Sorry i dont mean to sound judgementall of everyone and i hope that peep's were just busy so they could not answer plse reply guys i missed this forum just as much as the internet

Come on ufoaftermath.co.uk .....oops i mean stratagycore.com hehe

People have been busy elsewhere I guess. But welcome back to the boards, RiskyX

As for a 'smooth' ride....

Do apply the 1.2 patch which will make your gaming experience with this game a bit more 'stable' as it fixes lots of the prepatch crashes.

Graphicswise

https://thumb19.webshots.com/t/36/36/3/65/21/2183365210028687379sayDKv_th.jpg

These are your 'Default settings' at least on my system.

If you don't get a smooth ride with these settings then you need to set them lower.

For starters turn off shaders and/or shadows and see if that helps.

If not then set the texture resolution lower and if you didn't turn of the shaders try lowering that setting too...

Fiddle around with the setting to get your match for a smooth ride. Trial and error is the way to go. Even if it is not always an easy way.

Unless you have a monster graphics card and just crank up all the settings to max like I do.... :P

I have heard the infamous 'I have this system that I run Halflife 2 on like a breeze. Then why won't this game properly on my system='-quote or 'Why the steep graphics requirements?' all to many times....

The answer is shaders. UFO Aftershock use shaders 3.0 which HL2 doesn't I guess....(That Halflife 2: The lost coast does.....Along with HDR and some other things.)

:P Thx Cgringo thx for the welcome :P

Ahhh now i,m home again if nobody answerd today i would have cried like my dear old fraing had gain severe schizoprenia while i was gone LOL

Treid what you said and the shader trick works {geez they eat some gfx cycles eh!!!} everything else is fine on high ! btw what gfx you got gringo?

Glad that it worked, RiskyX.

As for my GFX. I got a Geforce 7800GT with 512 MB ram on the it.

With all those dual and quad GFX configurations out there it might not sound like much these days even if it is only about 6 months old.

I am thinking about rebuilding my system to have two of those cards in it once the Conroe processor gets out.

Along with the Ageia PhysX card that I already got it should be able to last a few more years. Or at least until the Geforce 8 series comes out.

Still much better than mine gringo whats a Ageia PhysX card ? does it do the maths for the pysics in games ? be good for fps's eh :P

Read about it here: https://www.ageia.com/

It is at the moment an expensive piece of hardware that really doesn't do much at the moment due to the gaming industry has to catch-up to this new gizmo.

Some 20ish games which is out or coming out supports it at the moment.

It is supposed to do the physics math in any kind of game that has require such calculations and take the strain of the GPU and CPU.

Any future editions of UFO, Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm should really work physics processor support into their games and show those FPSers that it is not only limited to them.

Yeah i can see thats really gonna improve the performance in future games , Silent storm could definatly use it the pysics were fun in that as it was ! but i think that fps will make the most use of it , Downloading a ageia test vid now so i can see it in action .