Incoming

thecyke

What? Why are you staring at me like that? What do you want? Oh - Part Two of that Dave Ellis interview in which he tells us about the development of Interceptor and begins to tell us about Genesis. Well, why didn't you say so!

Here it is. ENJOY! :)

By the way, please leave your thoughts on it - either on this site or my gaming site, lets get some feedback and discussion going :inlove:

By my reckoning, news consists of things that people don't already know. Therefore it's news :)

NEWS news as you like to call it is something that not even us slightly-elevated-but-not-quite-higher-ups would ever find out about before you guys at the moment :)

Sorry but I don't agree. There is a HUGE ammount of information we don't know, but mostly it refers to things I don't care if I don't know. Like a lot of info on a game that will never be... It just makes me sad about what could be but isn't. But I read it anyway, he he he!

But you usually do have the access to NEWS news before we do. You are able to contact people like developers and they are even ready to talk to you, since you inform a large number of people. Who will answer me if I start sending e-mails around?! Don't even try telling me I have a chance - I tryed it with Alliance a couple of times and burned to the ground...

SV

But you usually do have the access to NEWS news before we do. You are able to contact people like developers and they are even ready to talk to you, since you inform a large number of people. Who will answer me if I start sending e-mails around?! Don't even try telling me I have a chance - I tryed it with Alliance a couple of times and burned to the ground...

Erm... no. Not correct, but not 100% incorrect :)

We don't contact the developers, they contact us. Sometimes we have nice developers who are willing to do this, other times we are viewed as fans like the rest of you (which is all we are at the end of the day... seriously, anyone could have pulled their finger out and amassed this information... there's nothing special going on here that anyone else couldn't have done).

It is my experience (and this is why I've been picky with the last two gaming sites I've had a hand in) that it's only worthwhile focusing on websites for games where the developers are worth the hassle. These are developers like Codo and ALTAR (to name but a few) who will actually spend some of their time helping you out for the free publicitiy and feedback they receive. Others (naming no names - Infogrames...oops!) don;t listen to us any more than they listen to you guys, so by all means, you've got as much chance as we have of getting through to them. Have a go. If each member of this forum sent just one (well structured and non-whining/flaming/trolling/aggravating) e-mail once a month until they got a response, then that'd be something.

I'm going to go wildly off topic (not having a go at Space Voyager by any means here - ranting to the world in general :() and become massively unpopular with some of the folk who don't know me, but I'm tired of doing stuff for others when they could be doing a lot of it for themselves. Pour exemple, if someone has a great idea for a site section, and is really enthused with the topic, don't just sugest it, write the general idea for it, even script it. I accept all forms of text documents and sketched ideas.

I receive endless e-mails from people who want to see another X-COM game and plead for me to do something about it. I have no power except for the power to advertise. The only folk I know in the X-COM world are all ex-X-COM people who are involved with different projects and companies and have no say in the matter any more.

I have fired off e-mails to Firaxis and Infogrames, I have asked around. The likelihood of anyone telling me ANYHTING is less than zero unless they wanted to get the sack from their bosses. Nobody's going to say anything we really want to hear unless people ask though. I am one voice amongst billions, which is daunting. In the X-COM universe, I am one voice amongst thousands. If everyone pulled their finger out, it's very hard (yet not impossible) to ignore thousands of e-mails from people who have a great idea for a new squad based strategy game called... X-COM.

Try it, you'll like it.

Been a long day at work :):(

how i got my dave interview...

i asked an old friend who was heavy into the scene years ago (when i also was) if he felt dave would be willing to talk about some stuff with me. That friend was Detonate, who knew Dave (i`m not sure how exactly) and i bounced it off him first as for all i knew Dave was angry or embittered towards xcom stuff due to hasbro/microprose shenanigans. He obviously felt i wouldn`t be offending dave to ask, so i asked Dave, explained very politely what i`d like to do, gave urls to my other interviews, made clear HE had full control over what was printed and just made it 100% as hassle free as i could for him. Essentially though, i was polite, made a polite argument for us fans wanting to know more and as it turned out Dave was a very helpful, generous guy who still loved xcom and was very happy to talk about it all.

On the other hand, he could have said no, but what had i to lose by asking. And frankly, i wanted to know about genesis for myself as much as you guys =)

So to recap;

I was polite

I got an assist from a friend

And I showed that I wasnt some fly by nighter in the community and that I came through on interviews and he wouldn`t be wasting his time talking to me.

Not having a go at voyager here, just backing up what pete is saying. And dont think to yourselves "ah, but you had a site" - well, yes, i did, because i went and built one (with shitloads of help from Pete), got it hosted and worked hard for content.

Basically though, there is nothing me or Pete do that any one of you guys couldnt do, i promise you! And its nearly always been developers first talking to me, not me opening contact with them.

:)

I didnt know pete got emails from folks asking him to do "something" for xcom to "save" it...he`s probably very polite knowing him, my response would be a far blunter "why dont YOU do something, start a campaign site, a petition, actually write a letter to Infogranny. Oh you care, just not enough to actually get off YOUR ass and do something? eh?"

Off to take my pills now...

I didnt know pete got emails from folks asking him to do "something" for xcom to "save" it...he`s probably very polite knowing him, my response would be a far blunter "why dont YOU do something, start a campaign site, a petition, actually write a letter to Infogranny. Oh you care, just not enough to actually get off YOUR ass and do something? eh?"

Well, to be honest, it's only the odd one or two... and it's rarely to save X-COM. That's usually folk who mistake my site for an "official" site (*blushes* must look professional then :)).

The "doing soemthing" is usually related to ideas as I may have said. It's quite often updating content etc. I like suggestions as much as the next guy. Most feedback is appreciated, but people could couple suggestions with a little passion and a few paragraphs of content to save me writing everything in my own style in what is an essentially a community-driven website :)

*vanishes into the ether*